Verizon Wireless: Hotspot/Router--Does such a device exist?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a desktop that doesn't have wifi access, so I normally just plug my phone into the desktop's USB port and tether when I want to share the phone's internet connection.

However, the range for a phone can be limited. I am looking for something with a comfortable range of 15 to 20 feet. I know Verizon has 4G hotspots and Jetpacks, but does anyone know if those are able to be plugged into a computer's USB port, like a phone could?

I know my other alternative would be to just purchase a USB wifi adapter for my desktop.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does your desktop have a ether net port? If so, you can use a Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm glad to know the broadband router with Voice would work. Have you had any real life experience with it?
Does it have a pretty good range?

There are really only two rooms I need internet in. I am debating getting a separate piece of equipment, like a router or jetpack to make things easier.

Otherwise, I would just transport the phone from one room to the other.

The router has mixed reviews, but I am guessing it has a longer range than the jetpack.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The range isn't great but you can use another router with the Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice. Just disable dhcp on one of the routers. I have this setup now. Most of the issues have to deal with signal. So long as you get a good signal then you shouldn't have a problem

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
They used to have data cards to that you put in the usb and get online. I used to use this as i lived where there were no internet options where available to us. other than satellite of course.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They used to have data cards to that you put in the usb and get online. I used to use this as i lived where there were no internet options where available to us. other than satellite of course.

Posted via the Android Central App
They still have usb modems. I just think that a Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice is a better fit as he has two rooms needing Internet. That and the usb modem costs the same as the Verizon broadband router with voice. Of Note the Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice didn't support xlte.

With regards to the signal comment I made earlier, you can get an external antenna. I have one on the window sill, and put my Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice on my desk and it does increase signal strength by about 10 dbm.

I could have also put the Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice on the window sill and it gets about the same signal. You can also place the antenna outdoors.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....verizon.com/internet-devices/&token=nCsKvu2K

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am still considering other hardware options, but I wanted to test the range of a regular 4G phone, before dropping $75-$100 on a router or hotspot.

I was surprised because I previously thought the range of a 4G phone was 5-15 feet. However, it is at least 30 feet or more from my living room to my bedroom, down a short hallway.

I plugged my 4G Moto X Developer Edition 2013 into my computer's USB and am still able to get 15-20 megabytes per second on a WIFI only Moto G in my bedroom.

I wanted to use the MOTO X and not my Nexus 6, because I am not sure if long-term use will negatively affect the hardware.

Also, this entire arrangement may only be temporary. I am not a heavy user, but my cable company refused to extend my promotional price. That's their right, but I wasn't ready to give in.

I'll probably go back to them in 60-90 days, when I can qualify as a new customer again.