mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Did you guys know that it costs 1 dollar and 99 cent for each and every call you make. I found this out the hard way as last month I called information 5 times. I called Verizon and demanded a reimbursement. This is absolutely ridiculously insane and if you guys call them make sure to get some credits. I would call the customer retention line. they are better about helping customers out when it comes to credits and such. I think it is truly ridiculous and should not be done.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I would call the customer retention line. they are better about helping customers out when it comes to credits and such.
Because their job is to make sure that you don't go to another carrier when your contract expires. Charging you for information is a good way to get you to leave.

I think it is truly ridiculous and should not be done.
I agree, but they'll squeeze every dime out of you that they can (like taking the 99 cent headphones out of the phone box before giving you a "new" phone, then charging you $9.95 if you want the headphones). Use your browser instead - there are a lot of directory services on the web.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to do this from now on. Also look at my other post regarding my contract screw that Verizon is charging me for every month. $15 per month. I am NOT saying that I do not like Verizon please don't take it that way but they are so greedy it is ridiculous. They care more about making money than giving us what we want. At least the customer representatives are very nice and the service is almost everywhere. Otherwise I would certainly switch to a different provider and may still do so if it works in the mountains where I travel and need my phone but most carriers do not work there.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I think it is a rip off, consider that even the uncarrier - the one who claims to be doing things more customer oriented than other carriers, charges the identical amount.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I think it is a rip off, consider that even the uncarrier - the one who claims to be doing things more customer oriented than other carriers, charges the identical amount.

I believe it is a charge for the service more than the carrier charging -- Hence why they all charge the same amount.

Has nothing really to do with the carrier themselves.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is a charge for the service more than the carrier charging -- Hence why they all charge the same amount.

Has nothing really to do with the carrier themselves.
I can guarantee you that carriers are making money off of 411. Up until 2008,Verizon offered 4 free 411 calls a month.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can guarantee you that carriers are making money off of 411. Up until 2008,Verizon offered 4 free 411 calls a month.

That may be true but .. for all to charge the exact same for it .. tells me something is dictating what they charge. Unless they all just decided to be the same on it randomly. Anything is possible I guess.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That may be true but .. for all to charge the exact same for it .. tells me something is dictating what they charge. Unless they all just decided to be the same on it randomly. Anything is possible I guess.

Both Verizon and AT&T charges 20 cents per text for paygo. Of course on their current plan it is included. But they are making a lot lot lot of money off the paygo texts. I suspect similar for 411. Carriers copy each other on pricing, this isn't anything new. Just like recently Verizon increased the upgrade fee to $40,to match att.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Both Verizon and AT&T charges 20 cents per text for paygo. Of course on their current plan it is included. But they are making a lot lot lot of money off the paygo texts. I suspect similar for 411. Carriers copy each other on pricing, this isn't anything new. Just like recently Verizon increased the upgrade fee to $40,to match att.

Very true but for a 3rd party service to be charging them and them all charging the same is different than the texts they control.

Just saying... To bash another carrier because they charge for a service that they all charge for is .. odd to me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Very true but for a 3rd party service to be charging them and them all charging the same is different than the texts they control.

Just saying... To bash another carrier because they charge for a service that they all charge for is .. odd to me.
True... All carriers are evil in this regard.

Also to the op, you can use free 411 options like free-411,if for some reason you didn't want to use your phone to search

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you guys know that it costs 1 dollar and 99 cent for each and every call you make. I found this out the hard way as last month I called information 5 times. I called Verizon and demanded a reimbursement. This is absolutely ridiculously insane and if you guys call them make sure to get some credits. I would call the customer retention line. they are better about helping customers out when it comes to credits and such. I think it is truly ridiculous and should not be done.

Even on a landline, at&t charges $1.89 for local directory assistance, and $2.09 for national directory assistance. Of course, then the taxes need to be added to that, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, I'm old enough (but I was just a kid) to remember when directory assistance was free, lol.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Even on a landline, at&t charges $1.89 for local directory assistance, and $2.09 for national directory assistance. Of course, then the taxes need to be added to that, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, I'm old enough (but I was just a kid) to remember when directory assistance was free, lol.

You don't remember 2008?

lsmachado

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
You don't remember 2008?

Lol, talking about on a landline, though. I believe it was in the 1970's when they started charging for directory assistance. Before that, there was no charge for the service. Then they started charging a dime or something, and it kept going up from there.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
In the 70 and early 80's it was still free if I remember correctly

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. Didn't know anyone still used this service tho. I don't recall using it since my last flip phone ages ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech