Questions about the Edge plan

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at the Edge plan recently and have been trying to see the downside for me switching to Edge. We have a family plan (not shared). I have a 6 GB data plan w/hotspot on my line. I am currently on a Samsung S4, but have been wanting to move to the Note 4. If I wait for my upgrade eligibility in six months I would have to pay somewhere around $200+ for the phone and renew our contract for two years. If I understand the Edge plan correctly. I will have to pay $29+ each month for the Note 4, but I will get a $25 line credit making the cost of the phone ~$5 per month. The total would $120 over 24 payments far less than the amount I would have to pay for a Note 4 if I was eligible for an upgrade right now. Plus I be able to upgrade my phone in 18 months, not 24 months. The other advantage appears to be that I don't have to be tied to the contract. We could just pay off the phone and leave switch carriers anytime when wanted.

I know I would be required to turn in the phone that is currently active on my line. My daughters each have S3s I was wondering if I could just switch one of their phones to my line and switch my S4 to there line and then turn in one of the S3s. Would that work? Both daughters are happy with their phones, but I am pretty sure one of them would like an S4. Or could I just switch to one of our families old Rezonds and turn that phone in?

What else am I missing about the downfalls about switching to the Edge plan?

Thanks
Ed

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You have it pretty much correct on the pricing - only thing to look out for is that you will have to pay sales tax on the full price of the device when you first get it (but no activation fee, unlike the subsidized plans). While you can upgrade after 18 months, you'll have to return that phone. If you keep it the full 24 months (or pay it all off), you can keep that phone.
As far as activating a different phone on your line before doing Early Edge, I'm not sure. That's what I did a year ago and it went fine, but I think they may have changed their policy since then and will only accept the device you originally had.
Also, what is a non-sharing family plan?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to swap the phone out before you get the new one. Just make sure it is on the line before you call or go to the store. Pick the oldest phone you have. They were willing to let me trade in a flip phone to go to edge.

Edge is actually a good deal when getting the $25 discount. Less money upfront and less money over time.

The downside is you might be better off selling the phone and then paying it off at 18 months instead of trading it in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar