stupid switching phone question

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
If I buy a used Verizon phone can I just switch the SIM card from my current phone and start using it? Or do I have to call Verizon to activate it?

I am thinking the latter.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The latter, even if you switch carriers (as long as the phone is unlocked). Sometimes, however, you might need to call them or visit a store if the settings for data and MMS aren't there, but yeah, just pop in the SIM card (especially if it's a Verizon one) and you're good to go.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You'd have to sign into my Verizon and click on activate/switch device. Basically you'll just deactivate the current phone, then put the sim into the new phone and it should activate.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have done this many times and as long as the phone is unlocked all you need to do is change the sim's and go - no my Verizon web site required.

Posted via Android Central App

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I think switching via the web will let it know what phone you have thus enabling relevant features. E.g. Advanced Calling.

I will be switching from a Samsung S4 to a Note 4 so looking forward to that capability.

Posted via the Android Central App

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I swap out phones all the time. I currently have a Z3V and Moto X and have no issues. The phone is updated in Verizon's account page. I even have an LG G pad 8.3 LTE and put my Sim in to get an update. As soon as it was done, moved it back to my Sony.

You just have to make sure the SIM is the same size. I have a nano SIM and use an adapter to make it a Micro. Search on Amazon, definitely worth it if you switch phones a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2