what will happen if I use basic line to upgrade to smartphone but never activate the smartphone?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
One of the lines on my family share plan just became eligible for upgrade.
This line has a basic phone on it right now and no data plan at all.

If I use this line's upgrade to order a smartphone from VerizonWireless.com,
will I be forced into paying $30/month data plan for 24 months?

What if I do not turn on the phone and destroy the SIM card that it comes with?
I plan to keep on using the same old basic phone on this line. The new smartphone
will eventually be used by my other line that currently has a smart phone on it.

Any advice appreciated!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the lines on my family share plan just became eligible for upgrade.
This line has a basic phone on it right now and no data plan at all.

If I use this line's upgrade to order a smartphone from VerizonWireless.com,
will I be forced into paying $30/month data plan for 24 months?
Yes.

What if I do not turn on the phone and destroy the SIM card that it comes with?
They don't care if you use the phone or not. If you do an equipment swap, so the new phone is on the plan with data, and the old plan keeps the old phone, you may get away with it. Go into the store ans ask.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you order the phone and activate on that line it will force the data for 2 years.

I have order from a third party site (apple) and not activated the basic line. This avoided the data fee. I am not sure of this works through Verizon also but it probably does.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
If you order the phone and activate on that line it will force the data for 2 years.

I have order from a third party site (apple) and not activated the basic line. This avoided the data fee. I am not sure of this works through Verizon also but it probably does.

I'm guessing that method should also work when ordering a Verizon smartphone directly from BestBuy.com? :)

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have used a basic line a couple of times to upgrade directly from Verizon. I just never activated the sim Card they came with and still have not been charged for data.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I was to ask him. :)

Does ordering from Best Buy's website get around this 24-month data requirement?

Thanks!
I know by not activating the phone when ordered through a third party retailer will work since. I did it with an iPhone 6 through apple. This was done after August. I don't know if it works directly through Verizon.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I was to ask him. :)

Does ordering from Best Buy's website get around this 24-month data requirement?

Thanks!

It works. Just do the following:

1) Through*Verizon online, order the new smartphone the UDP Line wants using a basic line's upgrade on the basic line, picking the 2GB data plan for the basic line and have it*shipped to home*not shipped to store;
2) When the new smartphone arrives,*do not turn it on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device; and
3) Select the UDP Line and that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the new smartphone and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the new smartphone and follow the directions to activate the new smartphone on the UDP line.

If your old SIM is the same size as the new one, you can use that instead of logging in online.

Posted via Android Central App

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It works. Just do the following:

1) Through*Verizon online, order the new smartphone the UDP Line wants using a basic line's upgrade on the basic line, picking the 2GB data plan for the basic line and have it*shipped to home*not shipped to store;
2) When the new smartphone arrives,*do not turn it on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device; and
3) Select the UDP Line and that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the new smartphone and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the new smartphone and follow the directions to activate the new smartphone on the UDP line.

If your old SIM is the same size as the new one, you can use that instead of logging in online.

Posted via Android Central App
Can you start a new line on a family plan and do this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12