One of the lines on my family share plan just became eligible for upgrade.
    This line has a basic phone on it right now and no data plan at all.

If I use this line's upgrade to order a smartphone from VerizonWireless.com,
    will I be forced into paying $30/month data plan for 24 months?

What if I do not turn on the phone and destroy the SIM card that it comes with?
    I plan to keep on using the same old basic phone on this line. The new smartphone
    will eventually be used by my other line that currently has a smart phone on it.

Any advice appreciated!
    05-02-2015 11:54 PM
    One of the lines on my family share plan just became eligible for upgrade.
    This line has a basic phone on it right now and no data plan at all.

If I use this line's upgrade to order a smartphone from VerizonWireless.com,
    will I be forced into paying $30/month data plan for 24 months?
    Yes.

What if I do not turn on the phone and destroy the SIM card that it comes with?
    They don't care if you use the phone or not. If you do an equipment swap, so the new phone is on the plan with data, and the old plan keeps the old phone, you may get away with it. Go into the store ans ask.
    05-03-2015 12:07 AM
    If you order the phone and activate on that line it will force the data for 2 years.

I have order from a third party site (apple) and not activated the basic line. This avoided the data fee. I am not sure of this works through Verizon also but it probably does.
    05-03-2015 01:28 AM
    If you order the phone and activate on that line it will force the data for 2 years.

I have order from a third party site (apple) and not activated the basic line. This avoided the data fee. I am not sure of this works through Verizon also but it probably does.
    I'm guessing that method should also work when ordering a Verizon smartphone directly from BestBuy.com?
    05-03-2015 10:00 PM
    I have used a basic line a couple of times to upgrade directly from Verizon. I just never activated the sim Card they came with and still have not been charged for data.
    gaddang2 likes this.
    05-04-2015 09:15 PM
    I have used a basic line a couple of times to upgrade directly from Verizon. I just never activated the sim Card they came with and still have not been charged for data.
    Have you done this since last August?
    05-04-2015 10:09 PM
    That's exactly what I was to ask him.

Does ordering from Best Buy's website get around this 24-month data requirement?

Thanks!
    05-04-2015 10:47 PM

Does ordering from Best Buy's website get around this 24-month data requirement?

Thanks!
    I know by not activating the phone when ordered through a third party retailer will work since. I did it with an iPhone 6 through apple. This was done after August. I don't know if it works directly through Verizon.
    05-05-2015 09:31 AM

Thanks!
    It works. Just do the following:

1) Through*Verizon online, order the new smartphone the UDP Line wants using a basic line's upgrade on the basic line, picking the 2GB data plan for the basic line and have it*shipped to home*not shipped to store;
    2) When the new smartphone arrives,*do not turn it on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device; and
    3) Select the UDP Line and that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the new smartphone and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the new smartphone and follow the directions to activate the new smartphone on the UDP line.

If your old SIM is the same size as the new one, you can use that instead of logging in online.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-06-2015 06:32 PM

Thanks!
    You can order through Best Buy or Verizon online.

05-06-2015 06:33 PM
    Yes, I have actually done it twice since August. Most recently last month, ordered a iPhone 6 plus online and sold it. Still no data charges.
    05-08-2015 11:19 PM
    It works. Just do the following:

1) Through*Verizon online, order the new smartphone the UDP Line wants using a basic line's upgrade on the basic line, picking the 2GB data plan for the basic line and have it*shipped to home*not shipped to store;
    2) When the new smartphone arrives,*do not turn it on, rather log onto Verizon online and click activate or switch a device; and
    3) Select the UDP Line and that you want to activate a device that has not been on your account before, type in the IMEI of the new smartphone and the SIM card number of the SIM card that shipped with the new smartphone and follow the directions to activate the new smartphone on the UDP line.

If your old SIM is the same size as the new one, you can use that instead of logging in online.

Can you start a new line on a family plan and do this.
    08-21-2015 10:12 PM