JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that as long as I'm off contact and I purchase a smart phone elsewhere that my line fee would be only $15 ?

If this is the case I may look into this more.

What's the system for making this work? Finding great deals like black Friday bargains then selling it before it's too old to get a good price then repeat the process?

Posted via Android Central App

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that as long as I'm off contact and I purchase a smart phone elsewhere that my line fee would be only $15 ?

What's the system for making this work? Finding great deals like black Friday bargains then selling it before it's too old to get a good price then repeat the process?

If you are at 6gb or moreyou will get the $25 discount, making it $15. Otherwise it is a $15 discount. You also need to be on the more everything plan. You may need to call to get the discount added.

The phone does need to be Verizon branded. The iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 from other carriers are not always getting the discount.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Correct. As long as you bring a Verizon approved device, you'll maintain the month to month discount.

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can get on the More Everything plan with a line access discount off of the standard $40. <6gb $15. >=6gb $25. My wife and I did it last weekend and they took care of everything in the store. Got an email afterwards confirming it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
6gb is $70.you should consider going to 10gb at$80 promotional price

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
As far as trying to make it work with buying new phones, I generally buy a used phone that is about about a year or so old since I can't afford the brand new flagship phones. Keep an eye on craigslist and eBay and you can get a good deal. I bought my G2 almost a year ago for $150. It was brand new. The guy I bought it from had used his upgrade to get it and just wanted to sell it. I'm still using the phone happily. If you need the latest phones this method may not work for you.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I do have More Everything with the 10GB data so it sounds like that will work. What would happen if I eventually changed all my lines over to byod after the current Edge payments on 2 phones were done? Does the same More Everything plan apply? I would have 5 phone that were owned and not on contact.

I like the idea of buying a slightly older phone like an S5 and just wait for new deals and swap out. I've been doing 2 year contacts for years and just started 2 on Edge this year. Maybe it's time to change

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Another question..... Why am I paying 20 per month line access for all 3 basic phones that are off contract and month to month when a smart phone would be 15?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Another question..... Why am I paying 20 per month line access for all 3 basic phones that are off contract and month to month when a smart phone would be 15?

Because that is Verizon's price structure. They would rather you had a smartphone and consumed more data. They have priced it accordingly.

I do have More Everything with the 10GB data so it sounds like that will work. What would happen if I eventually changed all my lines over to byod after the current Edge payments on 2 phones were done? Does the same More Everything plan apply? I would have 5 phone that were owned and not on contact.

I like the idea of buying a slightly older phone like an S5 and just wait for new deals and swap out. I've been doing 2 year contacts for years and just started 2 on Edge this year. Maybe it's time to change

You can get the discount for any smartphone line that is in edge or out off contract. The phones need to be Verizon branded. The Edge discount at $25 actually makes most phones cheaper to buy on edge then under a 2 year contract.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it sucks but you are better off with a smartphone on the line with data turned off. Something like the Verizon g2 for $150 no contract would be a good choice.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I checked on that. I'm confusing prepaid with month to month..... It's all good, no limitations with BYOD to my existing More Everything plan.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If I buy a phone without a Sim card, will I need to buy a new one or does Verizon provide it?

Also, these prepaid phones you can buy at places like Best Buy, will they work on More Everything month to month?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If I buy a phone without a Sim card, will I need to buy a new one or does Verizon provide it?

Also, these prepaid phones you can buy at places like Best Buy, will they work on More Everything month to month?

A corporate store will provide a free SIM. They will only activate it in a post paid phone (IIRC) your best bet is a used phone, eBay, Swappa or Craigslist. There are good deals on the LG G2 right now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A corporate store will provide a free SIM. They will only activate it in a post paid phone (IIRC) your best bet is a used phone, eBay, Swappa or Craigslist. There are good deals on the LG G2 right now.
Verizon will only activate a Verizon Branded postpaid phone. You can use an active 4GLTE sim for use with prepaid or non verizon branded devices. Keep in mind that you might not get the off contract discount if you did this

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there not a Verizon version of the Moto G or E? I'm looking for a good budget phone but don't want a phone that's too old like the G2.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I found lots of discussion about activating the prepaid Moto E in a postpaid plan. I might try that. Anyone here do that?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there not a Verizon version of the Moto G or E? I'm looking for a good budget phone but don't want a phone that's too old like the G2.

Having had both the g2 and moto g, the g2 is a way better device in terms of performance, camera, display...

The Moto e has even lower specs than the Moto g.

To answer your question, both the Verizon Moto g and Verizon moto e are prepaid devices. Some people have had luck getting a Moto g on post paid. I have not. The Verizon moto e has 4GLTE so you should be able to use an active 4GLTE sim. Otherwise, it is ymmv on Verizon activating it.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm rocking a LG Cosmos so any of those would be an upgrade. G2's are twice the cost of the Moto E and at least the E is new. With an iPhone 6 and a Droid turbo and soon to add S6 or G4 on my family plan you would think they could allow me to activate 2 of the E's? That way I'd have no more basic phones. Isn't that what they want? Going to do some more digging before I go spend the 70 bucks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm rocking a LG Cosmos so any of those would be an upgrade. G2's are twice the cost of the Moto E and at least the E is new. With an iPhone 6 and a Droid turbo and soon to add S6 or G4 on my family plan you would think they could allow me to activate 2 of the E's? That way I'd have no more basic phones. Isn't that what they want? Going to do some more digging before I go spend the 70 bucks.

If price is the issue then I understand. I don't know if Verizon will let you activate it. Most haven't had luck activating a prepaid device on Verizon postpaid

Sent from my AT&T LG G2