I spent $43 000 with verizon over the last 11 years, just cancelled everything

jasonjm

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
3 cell phones with lots of international usage, home phone, fios TV

verizon forced lollipop updates onto my 2 android phones, which I declined 3 times but they were still installed.

my phones were totally messed up after lollipop, I spent 10 hours wiping the phones, calling verizon and samsung approx 15 times in a week. At the end samsung had no solution other than to mail in the phones.

I called verizon and said they owed me 2 x note 4s with kitkat, they can take the lollipop disasters back.

Verizon told me to get stuffed.

Good customer retention there, good customer service. You break my stuff and then make it my problem.

Farewell Verizon.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The update broke by note 4. I ended up with a warranty replacement. The replacement worked better.

Updates are one thing that Apple does much better than everyone else. Because when the screw up they can push another update right out.

Beware what carrier you move to. My coworker just had the same problem with the Galaxy S5 on AT&T. It auto updated and broke the phone. This just caused her to get an iPhone 6 plus.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. My wife has always had iPhone, and she's had a couple of updates which really slowed the phone down/messed it up and we're never fixed. I've had the same with androids

Posted via Android Central App

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
This just another example what Verzion is all about! This company has no shame!. I hate Verzion! I will never go back to that AUFUL company!!!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. My wife has always had iPhone, and she's had a couple of updates which really slowed the phone down/messed it up and we're never fixed. I've had the same with androids

Posted via Android Central App
I think the real difference is when Apple sends a bad update out, is that they can send another fix out fairly quickly. This never happens on Android (except the Nexus).

That said the older iphones run like crap on ios 8.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I think the real difference is when Apple sends a bad update out, is that they can send another fix out fairly quickly. This never happens on Android (except the Nexus).

That said the older iphones run like crap on ios 8.

It's very true...Your hope of Google coming right in behind a broken update (like Lollipop) and fixing it is slim to none.

jasonjm

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon claimed because the phone got data sms and voice it wasn't their problem. Samsung claimed they could only try fix it under warranty if I mail the phones in since they had no idea what is wrong. Since they are business phones that would not work.

Solution?

Moved to t-mobile. Bought note 4s. Rooted note 4s installed firekat.

Firekat is amazing. I used my note 4 today from 6am to 9pm including Hotspot and other heavy use. Plus all future carrier updates will obviously be ignored with root and custom rom.

After a full 15 hours heavy usage including using phone as Hotspot for 2 hrs, my battery under firekat rom is at 46 percent. Beyond amazing. It's now 8am the next day, I am typing this on phone and battery is still at 34 %

My Verizon lollipop note 4 would have been dead by 5pm same day, no more than 11 hrs heavy use.

So my bill is half the price, my phone is twice as good under t-mobile.

Verizon are evil.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you were looking for a reason to jump ship. What prevented you from rooting the Verizon phones and installing a ROM? By the way, the same thing would have happened with a non-rooted phone on ANY carrier, this is not a Verizon-exclusive "problem".

Good luck with your coverage on T-Mobile. I know in my area even AT&T doesn't match the coverage of Verizon.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
After my verizon contract are up I think I'm going to cricket. I am testing them this month with an LG phone Anne for what I need to do they are perfect. The data is plenty fast enough on my lg optimus but I will be getting a better phone when I switch. I really like their plans and prices and the quality of the sound on calls and data speed is great for me. The sound quality is the most important I can deal with more deta. I wish they had mobile hotspot but I will take it anyway. Verizon prices especially their data plans are a huge rip off and I am NOT going to school for that company if it works in all the places that I need to go now that they have joined with AT&T to provide excellent service.

jasonjm

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
And I had not even considered leaving Verizon. Now I feel kind of dumb that I didn't leave long ago.

Rooted phone where you have complete control of the os is the only way to go in my opinion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And I had not even considered leaving Verizon. Now I feel kind of dumb that I didn't leave long ago.

Rooted phone where you have complete control of the os is the only way to go in my opinion.

Glad it is working out for you :). Some may not have that luxury and need the coverage of Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is something missing here... Whenever I call Verizon they have helped me to get a working phone,sending multiple replacements when necessary. What specific problem were you having with your note 4?

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon claimed because the phone got data sms and voice it wasn't their problem. Samsung claimed they could only try fix it under warranty if I mail the phones in since they had no idea what is wrong. Since they are business phones that would not work.

Solution?

Moved to t-mobile. Bought note 4s. Rooted note 4s installed firekat.

Firekat is amazing. I used my note 4 today from 6am to 9pm including Hotspot and other heavy use. Plus all future carrier updates will obviously be ignored with root and custom rom.

After a full 15 hours heavy usage including using phone as Hotspot for 2 hrs, my battery under firekat rom is at 46 percent. Beyond amazing. It's now 8am the next day, I am typing this on phone and battery is still at 34 %

My Verizon lollipop note 4 would have been dead by 5pm same day, no more than 11 hrs heavy use.

So my bill is half the price, my phone is twice as good under t-mobile.

Verizon are evil.
Sounds like tmobile is a good choice for you... But there are many people myself included who didn't have problems with the note 4.

Even though my phone was able to make calls, sms and data, I was able to get verizon to send a replacement when a device wouldn't accept an update and another time when the battery life was poor, Verizon sent me a new battery and later a replacement device. And with multiple replacements of the same device, Verizon has moved me to another phone on a few occasions.

Don't get me wrong, Verizon customer service is sub par.... But if you come in with a poor attitude, expect to get the same back. Even with a good attitude, I have had more than my fair share of problems. With Verizon you need patience and determination.

Don't get me wrong, I would move to tmobile in a heartbeat if they could match my Verizon plan offering and cost and Verizon's network. Heck, I would even be willing to pay 5% more. But as it is, moving to tmobile for my specific situation(admittedly rare) would cost me a lot more, and doesn't get as good of service where I need it.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar experience to dpham00's when I had my Droid (yes, the first one). When the FroYo update came out for it (may have been Donut, not sure) the phone wouldn't take it. I tried installing it manually (using the SD card trick) and it wouldn't go. Took it to the Verizon store, the tech there looked at it, had me call Motorola who confirmed we tried everything we could and told me to go back to Verizon and have them swap the phone. Verizon swapped it no problem after that, and the update applied that night after I got home.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I just wish Verizon data plans or not so ridiculously expensive. Last night I called to ask for a loyalty discount plan which they offered me what's sad I would have to extend my contract for a whole nother year on both of my mind that's crazy. I am considering a switch to cricket and I am playing with one of their phones right now for the next month or so hope me the best. I understand Verizon is not bad in all situations but I feel that prepaid could in the long run be a much cheaper way to go four me for others T Mobile offers a wonderful alternative and they are fighting the overages and all of that other craziness at Verizon and AT&T are coming up with these days. That is just my own opinion and I am older than that completely satisfied with Verizon but I may switch to cricket even though I will have to sacrifice mobile hotspot and super fast LTE or slightly slower LTE which would still serve me just fine. Everyone's situation is different and go with what works the best for you not everyone is the same for example if you are someone who travels a lot and as people with you then Creek it was certainly not be a good choice because they do not have mobile hotspot capability and T Mobile maybe better and you can have unlimited data was 5 gigs of hot spots that is just my own opinion. best of luck to all out there in finding the best carrier for their situation.