Edge seems like a good deal. Is there a catch/surprise when billed?

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This is the first time my family and I are going to start doing an EDGE plan for one of our lines. After an incident today at a Verizon store, I'm reluctant to trust anything the store rep. says so I hope you guys can help.

Currently, we're paying around $212.00 a month for 4 lines with 6 GB of data. We're going to be upgrading one line that became upgrade eligible on May 5. The phone costs $31 per month with the EDGE plan. With the 6 GB of data, the rep said we'll be given $25 off of our monthly bill using EDGE. All we have to pay is the sales tax of $75 up front which is completely fine.

So if everything that I said above is true, our new monthly bill should be around $218 for the next 24 months. Is this true? Will we be surprised once our bill comes out to be over $218? Also, what happens to the bill once the phone gets paid off in 24 months? I'm assuming our $25 discount will be removed and we'll go back to paying $212?

fallenangel808

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
For me personally I like the Edge plan because it works for me since we like to upgrade every year. I was comparing my bill from what I was paying last year when we were on the previous plan and we are only paying $7 more which isn't a deal breaker. Also there is a promo that Verizon is doing right now $80 for 10gb instead of the usual $100. And depending on the phone you get the equipment charge per month is anywhere from $25 to $30 per month plus taxes and fees. We have 2 phones that are on the Edge program (Note 4) for each of us so we pay $30. The only catch is that you have 14 days to decide if the edge plan is right for you otherwise anytime after that you will be stuck paying for the cost of the phone to get out of Edge and go back to a 2 year contract. Some say it's 50% of the phone, others say it's the full price. And yes, once you change back to a 2 year contract the Edge discount will be removed.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
When you get the $25 discount edge is generally a better deal. At the end of the 24 months you will maintain the $25 discount. If any of your lines are out of contract right now you can also get the $25 discount. You need to call and add the discount. I do not believe it is automatically added.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Usually edge will be more beneficial if on the $25/line discount

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Your count is correct. Your bill will go up ~$6 when you include the $25 discount and $31st monthly fee for the phone.

As other posters have said once the 24 months is up you keep the $25 discount and any lines that are out of contract are eligible for the $25 discount as we'll, just call Verizon and ask for it.

I have used edge since they started the program and it used to be a great option to upgrade annually. Now that customers are required to pay off 75% before they can turn in the phone for an early upgrade it is no longer a viable option for early upgrades. Unless you pay off the remaining balance after 1 year and sell the phone through third party sites.

Posted via Android Central App

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that your bill, once everything settles out, will go up by less than $6 because you no longer pay taxes on the $40. This may depend on your state, but that's what happened for me. And yes, once the phone is fully paid up the bill will drop by the $31 you are currently paying.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
What happens at the end of 24 payments on edge? You own the phone right? You can keep using it or sell it and pocket the money.

What happens if you pay 75% of it then do the early edge? You have to give it back to them right?

What happens at the end of the 2 year contract? You don't own it, you have to return it.

Do I have that correct? If it is, I would think early edge wouldn't make much sense.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What happens at the end of 24 payments on edge? You own the phone right? You can keep using it or sell it and pocket the money.

What happens if you pay 75% of it then do the early edge? You have to give it back to them right?

What happens at the end of the 2 year contract? You don't own it, you have to return it.

Do I have that correct? If it is, I would think early edge wouldn't make much sense.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. You own it after the contract is over (2 years)

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
That upgrade every 12 months sounds like leasing/renting your phone. Sounds more reasonable to just pay it off and upgrade after 2 years. Now its 75% and you don't even get credit for a new phone or anything?. That sonds like youre giving away 3/4 of a phone back to verizon after paying most of it off.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
That upgrade every 12 months sounds like leasing/renting your phone. Sounds more reasonable to just pay it off and upgrade after 2 years. Now its 75% and you don't even get credit for a new phone or anything?. That sonds like youre giving away 3/4 of a phone back to verizon after paying most of it off.

That is exactly the truth. And she is only a good deal if you plan on keeping the phone and using it as a way to pay off a new phone not too early age because that is a huge with tall as Verizon makes for $500 on the phone probably. Only use it as a financing option to pay off for a brand new phone but you cannot afford at the time. That is another reason why I may end up switching to someone else when the contract is up because I feel that these are not very good business practices.

Posted via the Android Central App

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I think going with edge is ok when you want a top of the line phone, but the more I dig into how this all works the more I'm leaning towards BYOD and staying on month to month. That way you own the device from day one and can sell it whenever you want to get something else, and you get the same line access discount as you do on edge.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Even with the line discount it is still expensive. Two lines one gigabyte for $80 or so even T-Mobile lowest plan is not all that good. Even know at least there is a limit. I wonder how many people are going with cricket because was $40 you could have 2.5 gigs of high-speed data and add a second line and it would be $70. That is it. Of course you still have to pay your phone at full price but I think they have finance options now. x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The advantages to Edge are the line discounts along with 0% interest payments on phones. The upgrade part is worthless now with the 75% requirement. It was good when it was 50 and even 60% but not now. Better to buy out edge agreement and resell to recoup cash towards your next phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What happens at the end of 24 payments on edge? You own the phone right? You can keep using it or sell it and pocket the money.What happens at the end of the 2 year contract? You don't own it, you have to return it.

Yes once you fulfill the 24 month payments the phone is yours. Though in fact the phone is yours regardless. Only if you exercise the edge option, then you give back the phone.. That's why at 75% its a bad deal to edge. Better to just buy out the edge agreement and sell the phone on your own.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I think going with edge is ok when you want a top of the line phone, but the more I dig into how this all works the more I'm leaning towards BYOD and staying on month to month. That way you own the device from day one and can sell it whenever you want to get something else, and you get the same line access discount as you do on edge.

Its really the same thing, edge or BYOD. Only edge allows for 0% interest payments. Unless you have a credit card with 0% APR then edge is a better option.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I plan on doing Edge. You end up paying full retail if you break it down but then you factor in the discount and your really only paying less then the 2 year discount price. Even if I have to trade it in, that doesn't bother me. I have 3 cell phones sittong at my house with no plans for them. I take them to Best Buy to dump it when I have the time and if I remember.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton