Reading and talking to people, a lot of people are going to switch to the iPhone and that is just who I have talked to and read about, makes me wonder if the added usage of more users will cause slower data speeds and issues like AT&T did when the iPhone came out.
    I hope not but it's going to be hard to tell right now.
    01-11-2011 07:23 PM
    I really don't thing people realize what will happen when Verizon's network gets put under a severe load.

I need to find the numbers again, but there is a significant percentage of AT&T customers on smartphones. Verizon users are on more dumb/feature phones.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling they won't be too happy when the data really starts flowing. At least AT&T has decent customer service to fall back on. Verizon's is horrendous!
    01-11-2011 08:49 PM
    That is what I'm thinking, I know VZW has a lot of Droid users but all the iPhone fans and current VZW fans will go to VZW and get their iPhone. These towers can handle only so much. It's going to be like AT&T getting the iphone all over again but this time, it's vzw,
    01-11-2011 08:59 PM
    What you will find with VZ's network is that it can handle the iphone surge. VZ has been preparing for the Iphone launch for the better part of two years which means, they have been increasing the capacity of there backbone network and the bandwidth at the cell towers (fiber).

Unfortunately, ATT did not have this advantage when they took on the Iphone. VZ learned from ATT's misfortune which, is why they will not experience the same issues.
    01-11-2011 09:05 PM
    They can only predict, what if what they predict is way under estimate of iPhone users?

I guess we have to wait to see.
    01-11-2011 11:07 PM
    I don't think we (VZW customers) have anything to worry about. If VZW's network didn't feel the crunch when they went from a BB dominate smart phone environment to an Android dominated environment we won't feel a thing with the iPhone.

I know when I went from my BB to my Droid, my usage was about 20 times more than it was with the BB.

Just say'n, I don't think there will be a problem.
    01-12-2011 01:14 PM
    At least AT&T has decent customer service to fall back on. Verizon's is horrendous!
    Funny, a news story I heard on the radio this morning explained now that Verizon is getting the iPhone, AT&T will now have to improve their customer service to the level of Verizon's to compete with Verizon.

My personal experience with VZW customer service has been outstanding. I speak with others with VZW and other carriers and VZW seems to have everyone beat.
    01-12-2011 01:24 PM
    Funny, a news story I heard on the radio this morning explained now that Verizon is getting the iPhone, AT&T will now have to improve their customer service to the level of Verizon's to compete with Verizon.

My personal experience with VZW customer service has been outstanding. I speak with others with VZW and other carriers and VZW seems to have everyone beat.
    I agree!
    01-12-2011 01:59 PM
    I've never had a problem with VZW customer service except when one was too lazy to do anything, went into the store and it taken care off in a matter of minutes.

I went from using roughly 700mb of data with my BB a month to using that in less then a week. My first week, I didn't count because I was downloading all sorts of apps and did over 1gb. But now it's roughly 700mb ish per week.
    01-12-2011 04:52 PM

I've dealt with them on several fronts. Enterprise, for a company of several thousand users, personal, and back-end for carrier-to-carrier relations. You can try to convince me until you are blue in the face, but most of the people I've dealt with at Verizon were impossible to deal with at all. Any deviation from their pre-written script, and it was over. More often than not, it took several calls, and numerous escalations to get anything done.

I've had to make a second call to AT&T once. I dumped VZW after one contract period on my personal account, and am very thankful the company I work for now doesn't use them. I'll be happy to see some of these people jump ship from AT&T and go to VZW. Honestly, the congestion hasn't ever affected me, even around Chicago and Detroit.

I really hope the iPhone works for the people who want to try it. I don't think the network is nearly robust as people seem to think it is, just knowing the technology behind it and the back-end transport. There is very little fiber run to these towers, especially in remote areas. Also, VZW doesn't own their own trunk network for transport outside local areas, where AT&T does.

Time will tell, I guess.
    01-12-2011 07:23 PM
    im still a att customer, with iphone 3g. waiting for the thunderbolt. verizon has done there homework before launching 4g an before this iphone. att wasnt ready for iphone craze. i can say att struggles in 3g areas as i have good service here in nc. but i recently went to disney world i would have 5 bars 3g an go into a park look around an see all these moms and dads with iphones everywhere an as soon as i try anything on my phone bars would drop to edge.

4g is available in my area an friends currently with verizon say no such thing happens to them. att is just behind in updating there towers an network. last to do hspa+ an 4g. they wanted to make every dime they could without spending it. an i honestly dont think that many people are goin to pay a early termination fee an buy the same phone again. im sure there will be a crowd, but its not gonna be like moms stomping on eachother to get a furby back in the day lol
    01-23-2011 08:42 AM
    Verizon has a better network so hopefully they can handle all the iPhone users coming over. Some say it was the iPhone and not AT&T others say it was all the congestion on AT&T. We're about to find out.....hopefully it's just the phone. IDK.....at last years AT&T conference of the release of the iPhone 4G, Steve Jobs could't even get a signal during his presentation. He asked everyone in the room to shut off their phones and laptops.

What a joke:Even Steve Jobs has demo hiccups | Circuit Breaker - CNET News
    01-23-2011 09:16 AM
    Well according to recent studies from a few third party companies. A blackberry phone takes up alot less data on the network then an Iphone does. 1 Iphone on the network is equal to 3 blackberries. Think about that.
    01-23-2011 12:25 PM
    Well according to recent studies from a few third party companies. A blackberry phone takes up alot less data on the network then an Iphone does. 1 Iphone on the network is equal to 3 blackberries. Think about that.
    And a Droid more than an Iphone...What's your point...
    01-26-2011 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD