WiFi hangouts SMS

qmr55

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
So is there any way to send SMS and MMS over wifi through hangouts using my carrier number? I know it can be done with voice but can it be done with my verizon number?

If no, is this something they might be adding?

Reason for asking: I have zero service in my office at work so anyone who texts me I do not get it until leaving work at the end of the day.

Note 4 on Verizon.

Thanks!

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So is there any way to send SMS and MMS over wifi through hangouts using my carrier number? I know it can be done with voice but can it be done with my verizon number?

If no, is this something they might be adding?

Reason for asking: I have zero service in my office at work so anyone who texts me I do not get it until leaving work at the end of the day.

Note 4 on Verizon.

Thanks!
No, it cant be done. Isn't there a way to send SMS from your myverizon website though?

-Jason

ettermomx4

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have crappy coverage at my house so I have no choice but to use the Verizon message app or buy their network extender for 250 to be able to use a service I already pay for.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have crappy coverage at my house so I have no choice but to use the Verizon message app or buy their network extender for 250 to be able to use a service I already pay for.

Yeah I wouldn't pay that much for an extender.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I understand where you're coming from but I do believe they also say in the fine print that they can't guarantee coverage inside structures. My workplace has had to wire several buildings with a high-end repeater system for Verizon's network because the signal just simply wouldn't penetrate.

Here's the coverage map: Coverage Locator

Here's the fine print at the bottom of the page:
These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy.

ettermomx4

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess my issue is that we moved in this house last August but our signal didn't go to crap till about June of this year. Granted it wasn't stellar but I could still make calls and send texts. Its not just my phone either, the other 4 lines with varying phones all have this issue. I understand they can't guarantee coverage everywhere but since it's declined just recently it leads me to believe something is amiss.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I guess my issue is that we moved in this house last August but our signal didn't go to crap till about June of this year. Granted it wasn't stellar but I could still make calls and send texts. Its not just my phone either, the other 4 lines with varying phones all have this issue. I understand they can't guarantee coverage everywhere but since it's declined just recently it leads me to believe something is amiss.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Then it might be worth the network extender. $250 sucks, but it easily pays for itself vs not having service in your home.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Then it might be worth the network extender. $250 sucks, but it easily pays for itself vs not having service in your home.

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

True but Verizon should offer it for free or at least let him borrow it if his home really is that bad. Not make someone pay extra for service they're already paying for. I recently got a booster from T-Mobile but if they wanted me to actually pay for it I would have said no. I would rather switch then pay to get service I pay for already. The only time I would pay would be if that was the only carrier and I had no other choice.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would definitely call back or escalate the issue to Verizon executive relations. Because it was working before, and probably due to Verizon tweaking the towers, then you aren't getting a good signal anymore. If that doesn't work, file a notice of dispute (the form is online) explaining your situation.

If another carrier gets good service, and Verizon won't send you a network extender then I would push for them to let you off without etf.