I'm due for a new Verizon phone, and I'm really torn between the Droid X, iPhone, and Bionic. Here's what I know so far:

• The Droid X is available now, but it doesn't have a front-facing camera, and it's screen is large but doesn't have the resolution of an iPhone's. It's also a bit bulkier than the iPhone. It doesn't support 4G, and it's battery life is not the best. Finally, it's inexpensive. It appears I can get one from AmazonWireless for $80.
    • The Verizon iPhone will be available in early February (first come, first serve). It has probably the best screen (on paper, at least) and form factor on the market--very pocketable and more pixels per inch than anything. It has a front-facing camera for video calling, however, it does not support Google Maps Navigation for mobile (I think other turn-by-turn navigation apps are available, but I don't think they're free or as good as Google's). Like the Droid X, it doesn't work with 4G. It's $2-$300, which is quite pricey.
    • The Droid Bionic is scheduled to arrive in the second quarter of 2011 (I don't know if that means April, May, or June, but it's a bit of a wait). It has a higher-res screen than the Droid X, but it's still about 100 pixels narrower than the iPhone. It has a front-facing camera and supports 4G. One downside is that it appears to be a brick--thicker then the Droid X and iPhone and quite heavy. I've also heard that it's going to be a while before 4G reaches its potential, and that 4G data plans may be even pricier than the regular smartphone data plans.

Can you offer any advice on the best Android handset for Verizon? Is it worth waiting for a 4G phone or is it really "not ready for prime time" and too expensive to be worth it? Have I missed anything?

I should mention that the phone I have now (an LG Dare) is so primitive, whatever I get will be a major upgrade. So, I am kind of anxious, but if it were really worth it, I could stick it out another 3 months or so.
    01-17-2011 12:13 AM
    Don't forget the HTC Thunderbolt. Not dual core, but it promises to be a good phone. HTC makes great phones, and quite frankly, not many can deny that HTC sense (HTC's user interface overlaid on Android) is far superior to Motoblur (Motorola's UI). Also, HTC does have a better track record than Motorola for timely updates.

We actually have no idea whether or not Verizon will charge extra for 4G service. IMO, it would be a bad business move, since it will mean fewer customers would choose a 4G phone over the 3G iphone. Many theorize they will just because sprint tacks on $10/month to the phone bill for having an "advanced device," (which happen to be the Evo 4G and Epic 4G), but that isn't an indicator of what Verizon will do. An LTE phone may just be worth your while. However, where you live factors into that as well. If you live in or near a major city, you likely already have or will have 4G soon (Verizon has released a map of all the areas currently serviced by LTE). If you live in a rural area, you may not get 4G service for quite a while. Also, simply having the latest might be nice.

If form is the most important thing to you, go with the iphone. The Droid X is a bit bulky and not very sleek (the HTC Incredible does much better with form, IMO), and the LTE phones will have extra thickness to allow room for the LTE chip. However, keep in mind that the iphone is even older than the Droid X, and there will be a new, probably still 3G, iphone unveiled in June, so I'd really wait till then if you really want the iphone, (plus, spending $2-300 on a 7 month old device doesn't sound appealing to me). However, I do believe that Android OS is pretty far superior to IOS, and Android phones tend to stay up to date and allow for much more freedom in using your phone.

If price is the most important thing, then go with the X or the HTC Incredible (I have the Incredible and am extremely satisfied with it. The only complaint I have is battery life, which isn't as bad as some make it out to be. It may be an older phone than the X, but there's no significant difference other than screen size unless you're interested in heavy customization. Also, the Incredible is often free with contract at Best Buy). Keep in mind that these devices will both start to feel outdated before very long, but they're both very good devices that will serve you well. If the lack of a front-facing camera is a major turn-off, do keep in mind that they're not all that practical yet (though they're cool), and the iphone's ffc will really need wifi to work (I've heard that it might be able to stream over EvDo [3G] on Verizon, but that will likely be very low quality and pretty choppy).
    01-17-2011 01:28 AM
    I say X now, and then Bionic....if money is an issue, X, if health is an issue, X if you have both, Bionic! (can't believe I just said this)
    01-17-2011 01:29 AM
    If you can wait.... Bionic. If not the DX is still a great device. I will most likely switch to the Bionic but i am more than happy with my DX.
    01-17-2011 01:41 AM
    Don't forget the HTC Thunderbolt.
    Thanks for your response. Good point about the Thunderbolt...that looks very competitive with the Bionic...except the screen resolution is a little disappointing (large screen but only 800 x 480).

We actually have no idea whether or not Verizon will charge extra for 4G service.
    I live in San Diego, which is definitely on the list for 4G. My big question, besides the potential additional cost, is whether it will really offer much of a speed advantage initially over 3G. There's a lot of potential, but will it deliver in the first year or two? And if it isn't really significantly faster, is it worth waiting 3 months (or longer) for?

The Droid X is a bit bulky and not very sleek...and the LTE phones will have extra thickness to allow room for the LTE chip....I do believe that Android OS is pretty far superior to IOS.
    There's no denying the beauty of the iPhone, but I can live with a phone that looks just "okay". What appeals to me about the iPhone is that it's quite compact (i.e., pocketable), yet it's screen has the most pixels of anything. I'm not sure how it's processor/speed compares, though, and I think I agree with you about the Android OS. I watched the video today on Google's turn-by-turn navigation app, and that in itself almost sold me on Android I also dislike iTunes, and banned it from my PC. I'd hate to have to install that just to sync up with my phone. Also, it sounds like, even though Verizon denies it, I can tether my PC with a Droid X (correct me if I'm wrong).

If price is the most important thing...If the lack of a front-facing camera is a major turn-off, do keep in mind that they're not all that practical yet (though they're cool).
    Price is a factor (I'm definitely hesitant to pay $200 for the iPhone, given that it will be outdated in 6 months), but it's not the most important thing. I could see video calling being amusing, but it's probably not the most critical feature.
    01-17-2011 02:01 AM
    i say wait, i spend so much damn money on phones... gotta have tha latest and greatest , my wife does not like that at all but any ways, with android theres always gonna b something better than the bionic 4-6 months after its release - just a ex. but i say find what u like and get it cause if ur like me and get a new phone every 6 months its expensive.The droid x is a awesome phone but if u can wait for the bionic and then compare the 2 that is if its even comparable.
    01-17-2011 03:08 AM
    Thanks for your response. Good point about the Thunderbolt...that looks very competitive with the Bionic...except the screen resolution is a little disappointing (large screen but only 800 x 480).
    I'm not sure what the Bionic's resolution is, refresh my memory? The Bionic certainly has more impressive hardware, but in terms of software, HTC Sense has a much better track record than Motoblur. Just depends on what you want.

I live in San Diego, which is definitely on the list for 4G. My big question, besides the potential additional cost, is whether it will really offer much of a speed advantage initially over 3G. There's a lot of potential, but will it deliver in the first year or two? And if it isn't really significantly faster, is it worth waiting 3 months (or longer) for?
    You may not notice much of a difference with your phone itself. However, you will be able to use data while making calls, which is a plus for some, and the front-facing camera will work much better over 4G. Tethering is a whole different story: it'll be significantly faster.

There's no denying the beauty of the iPhone, but I can live with a phone that looks just "okay". What appeals to me about the iPhone is that it's quite compact (i.e., pocketable), yet it's screen has the most pixels of anything. I'm not sure how it's processor/speed compares, though, and I think I agree with you about the Android OS. I watched the video today on Google's turn-by-turn navigation app, and that in itself almost sold me on Android I also dislike iTunes, and banned it from my PC. I'd hate to have to install that just to sync up with my phone. Also, it sounds like, even though Verizon denies it, I can tether my PC with a Droid X (correct me if I'm wrong).
    There are pocketable Android phones (Galaxy S series and Dinc being some current ones). Also, you can tether most current Android phones, including the X (in fact I think they support more than 5 devices, and wifi tethering was the theme of a Droid X commercial over the summer). You have to either root or pay extra ($20/month) to do it, but you'll definitely have to pay extra for the iphone's tethering and may not be able to get around it.
    01-17-2011 02:42 PM
    I'm not sure what the Bionic's resolution is, refresh my memory?
    I've been using this chart as a source: Bionic 960 X 540, iPhone 960 x 640, Thunderbolt 800 x 480. The iPhone has the highest resolution but the smallest screen. I'm not sure how that actually plays out in the real world, but it sounds great on paper.

HTC Sense has a much better track record than Motoblur.
    I don't know what I want yet as far as Sense vs. Motoblur, but the consensus seems to be that people prefer Sense, though Motoblur is getting better. I also gather that a lot of people would like to just run pure Android OS if they had the choice. (I haven't read up yet on how to do this or if it's possible with the Bionic or X.)

You may not notice much of a difference with your phone itself. However, you will be able to use data while making calls, which is a plus for some, and the front-facing camera will work much better over 4G. Tethering is a whole different story: it'll be significantly faster...There are pocketable Android phones... Also, you can tether most current Android phones, including the X...You have to either root or pay extra ($20/month) to do it, but you'll definitely have to pay extra for the iphone's tethering and may not be able to get around it.
    Thanks, this is all really useful info.
    01-17-2011 05:50 PM
    Definitely wait for the Bolt or Bionic. Originally I would have said Bionic, but now I'm liking the Bolt more and more. The way I see it, if you're looking to play awesome games on your phone a lot, then the Bionic is the way to go. If gaming isn't the number one priority and you're looking for something more hacker-friendly (more custom ROMs, thus more freedom), then the Bolt wins assuming Motorola sticks to their guns on locked bootloaders.
    01-18-2011 12:22 PM
    Definitely wait for the Bolt or Bionic. Originally I would have said Bionic, but now I'm liking the Bolt more and more. The way I see it, if you're looking to play awesome games on your phone a lot, then the Bionic is the way to go. If gaming isn't the number one priority and you're looking for something more hacker-friendly (more custom ROMs, thus more freedom), then the Bolt wins assuming Motorola sticks to their guns on locked bootloaders.
    My only issue with the Bolt (on paper) is the smaller screen and the lower battery life (according to Infographic: Motorola Droid Bionic vs. Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Thunderbolt | Skatter Tech). On the plus side, there are the issues you mention (interface & customization), it's a tad smaller (though heavier), and hey, FM radio .

Couple questions:
    1. Where can I find a good comparison of MotoBlur vs. Sense? MotoBlur seems to be pretty hated on this forum.
    2. Anything firm on when the Bolt is coming out? If it's sooner than the Bionic, that in itself would be a big draw for me since I'm looking to minimize my wait time.
    01-18-2011 03:34 PM
    I am also looking for some videos showing the differences between Blur And Sense. Most videos I find show custom roms and such but never show the basic stuff that people like me who have never used an android device before would want to see. I went to motoblur.com and watched the videos but its hard to say how current those are or how relevant they are etc and when looking for the htc sense stuff all I was able to find were 2 video reveals from htc talking about the features but not really showing much.
    01-18-2011 09:53 PM
    I am also looking for some videos showing the differences between Blur And Sense. Most videos I find show custom roms and such but never show the basic stuff that people like me who have never used an android device before would want to see. I went to motoblur.com and watched the videos but its hard to say how current those are or how relevant they are etc and when looking for the htc sense stuff all I was able to find were 2 video reveals from htc talking about the features but not really showing much.
    Well thanks for checking. Let us know if you come up with anything.
    01-19-2011 04:18 PM
    Go to dell.com, the Droid X is $49.99 right now. The price fluctuates from day to day, so if it goes up just check every other day and it will go back down to the $49.99.
    01-19-2011 10:44 PM
    If you go to dell.com you can get the X for $49.99 right now. The price price does fluctuate from day to day but is always gets back down to the $49.99.
    01-19-2011 10:51 PM
    Keep in mind that the phones that have been out 6 months or more have had the (in most cases) bugs worked out or have work arounds. As with all new phones there will be bugs to work out. There is a wealth of info on AC to address any problems that have sprung up so far with the older (6 mo.) phones.
    01-20-2011 05:34 PM
    That's a good point, Ricky. Between that and the lower price of the Droid X I am now wondering if I should just use my last NE2 to get the Droid X in March. I played with it yesterday and loved it. Is it a global phone?

So that's a plan too. Then I could always upgrade to the Bionic in 2 years when it's less expensive and bug free.

Thoughts?
    01-20-2011 05:57 PM
    That's a good point, Ricky. Between that and the lower price of the Droid X I am now wondering if I should just use my last NE2 to get the Droid X in March. I played with it yesterday and loved it. Is it a global phone?

So that's a plan too. Then I could always upgrade to the Bionic in 2 years when it's less expensive and bug free.

Thoughts?
    Unfortunately, it is not a global phone.
    01-20-2011 06:01 PM
    There is always going to be something better coming out. I'm thinking about just hanging on to my DX for a while at this point. It is working great for my needs.
    01-20-2011 06:04 PM
    Agreed. But I definitely want to get an Android by April. I'm over BlackBerry right now.
    01-20-2011 06:06 PM
    The Droid X is a great phone but with the way these phones are advancing it will be completely obsolete before you know it. Also when everyone's using 4G speeds you'll be stuck with 3G but if that's not a big deal then the dx will definitely be a better priced option
    01-21-2011 01:18 AM
    My only issue with the Bolt (on paper) is the smaller screen and the lower battery life (according to Infographic: Motorola Droid Bionic vs. Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Thunderbolt | Skatter Tech). On the plus side, there are the issues you mention (interface & customization), it's a tad smaller (though heavier), and hey, FM radio .

Couple questions:
    1. Where can I find a good comparison of MotoBlur vs. Sense? MotoBlur seems to be pretty hated on this forum.
    2. Anything firm on when the Bolt is coming out? If it's sooner than the Bionic, that in itself would be a big draw for me since I'm looking to minimize my wait time.
    I thought the Bolt and the Bionic would both have 4.3 inch screens? Or do you mean resolution again?

There's some pretty strong evidence (though nothing confirmed) that the Bolt will see a mid-February release. It will definitely come out sooner than the Bionic, as it is being advertised as the first LTE phone on Verizon, but the question is how much sooner.

The problems with Blur, from what I've gathered, aren't the user interface itself, but the way that it's integrated into Android. It seems to have been integrated very sloppily, meaning it slows down the phone a good bit. This is especially evident on the Droid 2 Global, which runs a 1.2 ghz processor, but seems slower than the Dinc because of Blur. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future. Plus, IMO, it just isn't as attractive.

Sense is an excellent Interface (and those who don't like it grudgingly say that it's better than the other UI's, and that they just prefer Vanilla Android), it's extremely well integrated into Android, meaning it uses minimal system resources, and has some nice features of its own. It uses a great software keyboard, the dialer is much improved over the stock dialer, it has some very attractive built-in widgets, among other things.

About the DX price: do keep in mind that any newer phones will be supported by software updates longer than the DX. The Droid X will probably get Gingerbread, but it's doubtful that it'll get anything higher than that. If you already had a Droid X, I'd definitely tell you to keep it and sit this generation out, since none of the upcoming phones are an enormous improvement. However, since you're looking at a new phone, I'd say definitely wait for some of this round to be released.

Update: According to some Verizon employees, the Bolt will be released on February 11th. Of course, take it with a grain of salt until you see an official press release, but it's looking good...
    danthman likes this.
    01-22-2011 12:00 AM