Disturbing Edge News

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I went in to Verizon today for miscellaneous reasons, and of course they tried to sell me something. In this instance, the notorious $10 a month tablet. I told her I was saving cash for something else and would probably buy a tablet when my two year contract was up in February 2016 and do a two year contract for both (I like to "flip" the newest phone at the time with my upgrade and keep the old phone.)

She stated that wouldn't be possible because Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are phasing out two year contracts, possibly by the end of the year. I almost crapped myself. The location I was standing in was already completely shifted to Edge only, and the online option for a two year contract is going away soon.

I know it's better to live contract free to begin with, but I've never had an issue doing two year contracts because I'm always going to technically need a phone line for my line of work, so the bill will be paid. It just irritates the crap out of me that the "customer consensus" is they want affordable phones. The only option is going to be pay full retail or pay the Edge payments. It's just fricking maddening to me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Business will always do what brings in the most profit. It started when Oog charged for red hot coals to start your own fire, and it'll end with the heat death of the universe (for which they'll probably be a service fee).

We had a good 20 year run of subsidized phones, they're still "kind-sorta" subsidizing them (you pay per month instead of up front, but you're paying the same price for the phone), but they might go the whole way if Edge doesn't bring in enough and just sell you the phone retail (which is shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka, but an MBA course teaches you that the world always ends at the end of the current quarter - thinking ahead is for engineers and chess players).

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Rukbat. I guess I'm old and set in my ways. It truly is an ending of an era, and time to consolidate my multiple lines with Verizon when the time comes lol.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are on the more everything plan and have 6gb or more, edge is almost always a better deal.

I am hanging on to an old unlimited plan. It will be annoying to not be able to use a loophole and keep my unlimited data.

Sent from my Note 4

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I would guess she has no idea what she is talking about and was trying to pressure you to increase her chances of getting a sale
I can't quote sources but this same info has been up and down the web for the past couple weeks at least. Most likely you've seen it so just curious as to your source. You have inside info? Or just the standard argument that all Verizon reps know nothing and only want your money.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. I'm a singleton on a 3 GB plan with a spare line for upgrades. Maybe eventually I'll rearrange my plan and lose the spare line. But I literally argued with that woman as gently as I could for about 45 minutes.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't quote sources but this same info has been up and down the web for the past couple weeks at least. Most likely you've seen it so just curious as to your source. You have inside info? Or just the standard argument that all Verizon reps know nothing and only want your money.

It isn't that I have inside information, but it's unlikely that Verizon would reveal a major policy shift so early and to low-level associates.

I'm not blaming her, but the primary goal of any Verizon store employee is to sell or activate new lines and Edge agreements.

At this point, with the exception of T-Mobile, the majority of carriers are still offering 2 Year Contracts.
Eventually, it may happen, and perhaps upper level decisions have already been made, but Verizon and AT&T will probably be the last ones to completely do away with 2 year contracts completely, since bigger ships tend to take longer to make major turns.

Obviously, the Iphone is likely to be released in 3-4 months, so it'll be interesting if the changes occur before then or before Black Friday.

Again, I don't have any inside information, but I doubt she does either and was only speculating.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The question I have though, granted we are a more rural location than a heavier populated city is why all the plaquards in this specific location only offered Edge or full retail....aside from the tablets that continue to advertise all three types of plans (2 year, Edge and full retail). It was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. I'll get a few pics when I go back tomorrow to get another Sim card.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The question I have though, granted we are a more rural location than a heavier populated city is why all the plaquards in this specific location only offered Edge or full retail....aside from the tablets that continue to advertise all three types of plans (2 year, Edge and full retail). It was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. I'll get a few pics when I go back tomorrow to get another Sim card.
Was this a Verizon corporate store or third party retailer?

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would guess she has no idea what she is talking about and was trying to pressure you to increase her chances of getting a sale

I have to agree but she may be right. I've just dealt with so many bad representatives that its hard to trust them

If this is indeed true I'm not sure if I'd bite on it. I will not pay more than $350 for a device and it has to be top of the line. I'm not falling for this Edge crap that Verizon pushes on us. I put myself into a hole paying $700 for phones before and I'm not doing that again whether it's up front or monthly.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Except if you sign a 2 year contract and pay $200-300 upfront you will be paying the rest of the phone off through your monthly bill anyway.

EDGE gives you a monthly discount since you are not getting a subsidized phone. If you are getting a top of the line phone the cost will be roughly the same over 2 years as a contract.

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I think I'd be happier with Edge if I didn't get a different explanation about the plan from five different people. Asking for a straight up legit and understandable explanation of that product would be a great deal easier than walking out of there wondering what the hell just happened.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
They need to enforce a straight across the board training series...but then again they're a big company and still making moneu, so who cares, right?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not rocket science. You pay retail for the phone in 24 equal monthly installments. Then you pay either $15/month for access per line if you have a 6GB or greater data plan, or $25 if you have a plan which is less than 6GB. Sales tax is paid upfront on the entire purchase price.

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I know that part. But the part that always goes off on a tangent for me is comparing the Edge plan to my current plan which is a More Everything Two Year with a postal service discount with a second line that has Edge on it already. I'm receiving the $15 discount on the Edge plan, but only have a 3 GB shared plan. It's when they try to get complex with me that they lose me. They're trying to get me to Edge my More Everything Plan, but they never have a "here's what you're paying and here's what you could be paying" scenario for me and that's what frustrates me.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Long time VZ customer, UDP and off contract two years. Using refurbished S4 under extended warranty. If I want a new phone and UDP... It's cold hard cash for folks who have it.

VZ will most probably be going into the financing world in the future as phones are getting expensive and many folks are getting hooked on to premium phones and equipment. They'll make bookoo bucks on high percentage financing too!

VZ appears to be making money on every move they make because that's what the market could bear. They know if you want VZ... you're going to have to pay for it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see UDP go by the wayside either. VZ wants that data money!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I know that part. But the part that always goes off on a tangent for me is comparing the Edge plan to my current plan which is a More Everything Two Year with a postal service discount with a second line that has Edge on it already. I'm receiving the $15 discount on the Edge plan, but only have a 3 GB shared plan. It's when they try to get complex with me that they lose me. They're trying to get me to Edge my More Everything Plan, but they never have a "here's what you're paying and here's what you could be paying" scenario for me and that's what frustrates me.

What is the full details of your plan if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like 3GBs shared and two phones with one on edge. Then you get a work discount on top. Is there anything else?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007