Should I stay or should I go?

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello fellow Verizon users!

I am curious to hear how you would handle my situation.

Recently I have been having major problems with my LG G2. Before I say anything negative, this phone has done very well for me. Quite frankly I like it a lot. Having said that, it has succumbed to the seemingly common deadspot-on-the-screen troubles. (In the bottom left hand corner there was about a quarter-sized spot that has expanded.) To say the least I am very frustrated. I do not have any kind of insurance simply because I don't believe in it.

Now that you know my phone situation I will let you know that I am currently in a two-year contract that comes to a close in January of 2016. I need to make a move of some sort whether it be inside of Verizon or to somebody else. I have been a Verizon customer for thirteen years and I am very surprised that they have nothing to offer me as far as an early upgrade. The only thing they can do is offer me a $200 credit towards a new phone at the retail price. If I go that route they have explained that I would just ride out the rest of my contract. Following that I would be put on a month-to-month basis which will, according to Verizon Customer Service, actually drop my bill almost $25 per month.

I have been looking at two new phones: LG G4 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. My cost for the LG G4 would be $329 and for the Edge would be 499. If I end up saving money on my bill I could recoup the cost of both phones over the course of what would have been a new contract. Looking at it that way I feel I would be ahead of the game. Agree or disagree?

Or... I could leave Verizon altogether and move to T-Mobile where they would be willing to pay for my early termination fee. Their plans are much more aggressive and the prices are lower. Or... I could move to any other carrier (except Sprint).

So... If you were me what would you do?

- Buy a new phone at retail minus the $200 "loyalty" credit, run out the contract length and go month-to-month?
- Move to another carrier or or off a contract?
- Should I be looking at this from another angle?

Thank you for any/all help and discussion ahead of time!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
- Buy a new phone at retail minus the $200 "loyalty" credit, run out the contract length and go month-to-month?

I would do this option. If you're happy with Verizon and enjoy the coverage it would be worth it to stay. Honestly any other carrier won't cut deals when it comes to contract dates or paying off phones.

T-Mobile is good if you have the coverage where you want it. I currently use them but that is because I have good coverage around town / where I travel. If I didn't .. I would be with Verizon.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for your insight. I am pretty happy with Verizon (for what I know of it mainly because that is all I have known). I only questioned about T-Mobile because I see and hear the positives being spoken lately.

I think I would rather buy a new phone before I buy a used one though.

dpham00, curious to know why you mention Moto X?

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for your insight. I am pretty happy with Verizon (for what I know of it mainly because that is all I have known). I only questioned about T-Mobile because I see and hear the positives being spoken lately.

Check out swappa.com, lot of people selling phones on there. YOu can even sell your lg 2 for a price you think its right.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I would do this option. If you're happy with Verizon and enjoy the coverage it would be worth it to stay. Honestly any other carrier won't cut deals when it comes to contract dates or paying off phones.

T-Mobile is good if you have the coverage where you want it. I currently use them but that is because I have good coverage around town / where I travel. If I didn't .. I would be with Verizon.
First off, welcome to Android Central!

I would have to agree on this and because where I roam about either from home, work, and elsewhere I've never experience a bad connection/signal with Verizon.

Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy! :cool:

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you again! And thanks for the welcome Neo_ii_Droid!

Why would I expect things to work smoothly? So it goes like this...

I went to the Verizon store only to learn that the $200 credit does not work as it was explained by TWO (YEP TWO!!!) Verizon customer service reps. via phone. It turns out that if you accept the $200 I would be renewing my contract from the day of activation. Also, according to the Verizon store rep. I would have to pay a $40 activation fee.

In summary, I am currently stuck with six months left on a Verizon contract using a handicapped LG G2 with a different set of options than what I originally posted.

My EARLY TERMINATION FEE is $170.00. I need to figure out if it would be better for me to sever ties with Verizon (which I have no issues with) for $170.00 and go elsewhere.

Or...

Take their $200 credit towards a phone and pay $349 for an LG G4 plus $40 to activate it. Get locked into another two-year contract.

Or...

Buy the phone outright without a credit. Run my contract out and go month-to-month.

Or...

Jump to AT&T or T-Mobile. Buy a phone at $200 and jump into a two-year contract with them.

Or...

Buy a phone outright and jump onto AT&T or T-Mobile.

All-in-all I am pretty ticked off at Verizon right now. I'm more inclined to leave but, one more time, I would like to hear your thoughts.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

AgentDecoy

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough as I was reading your post for the Verizon offer for a $200 credit without a contract extension, I knew there had to be some sort of misunderstanding---that seemed too good to be true.

This option is assuming that you have good coverage with T-Mobile:

The Verizon term fee T-mobile will reimburse as long as you follow the rules, so I won't really factor that into your decision.

Have you looked at how much you would save monthly switching from Verizon? There is really no point in taking a $200 credit to lock in with Verizon for 2 years if you could've made up that $200 with T-Mobile over a few months.

I checked T-Mobile's website and it shows an LG G2 trade in is $56 for what I could see (might be a cleaner option for $4 versus Swappa). Additionally the LG G4 has a pretty nice special offer right now with T-Mobile.

If your coverage is solid with T-Mobile, you are in the market for new phones, can swing the term fee until its reimbursed, will save money on your monthly rate plan with T-Mobile, and are agitated with Verizion....I think the choice is clear ;)

PS: I was with Verizon for probably 10 years and switched to T-Mobile--never been more satisfied!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is the cheapest device of the g2 generation. Just something to hold you over.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly enough as I was reading your post for the Verizon offer for a $200 credit without a contract extension, I knew there had to be some sort of misunderstanding---that seemed too good to be true.

This option is assuming that you have good coverage with T-Mobile:

The Verizon term fee T-mobile will reimburse as long as you follow the rules, so I won't really factor that into your decision.

Have you looked at how much you would save monthly switching from Verizon? There is really no point in taking a $200 credit to lock in with Verizon for 2 years if you could've made up that $200 with T-Mobile over a few months.

I checked T-Mobile's website and it shows an LG G2 trade in is $56 for what I could see (might be a cleaner option for $4 versus Swappa). Additionally the LG G4 has a pretty nice special offer right now with T-Mobile.

If your coverage is solid with T-Mobile, you are in the market for new phones, can swing the term fee until its reimbursed, will save money on your monthly rate plan with T-Mobile, and are agitated with Verizion....I think the choice is clear ;)

PS: I was with Verizon for probably 10 years and switched to T-Mobile--never been more satisfied!

You know, the more I am learning of other companies the more I am realizing it is going to be tough for me to leave Verizon. I was just chatting with a rep. from T-Mobile and she informed me of a 7 GB ceiling for HOTSPOT/TETHERING. Crazy! Almost all of my data is used by my kids tablets when travelling or my laptop (work). Up until that moment T-Mobile was looking promising. She went on to tell me that there is even a 7 GB limit for their "UNLIMITED" plan. What?!?! That would mean NOT-UNLIMITED! Right? (Are all other carriers like that? Curious...)

I am beginning to think Verizon has me where they want me.

dpham00, I gotcha. My wife was thinking of me buying something to hold me over but I don't know if I can do it. I've been set on the LG G4 or Edge for quite some time. Then again, one thing for certain, she is VERY NOT KEEN on me laying down $699 for the Edge. She is gritting her teeth on the G4.

AgentDecoy

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
It's early and I haven't had my coffee so forgive me....but...what is your plan with Verizon? It appears you are on an old unlimited plan???

If that's the case we are likely in a whole new ballpark as you will likely be restricted to buying full price to keep your UDP

Posted via the Android Central App

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Not an unlimited plan here. (I wish.)

I am simply on an UNLIMITED text and phone call with 10 GB data plan. Nothing special but I definitely use more than 7 GB via TETHERING/HOTSPOT.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You know, the more I am learning of other companies the more I am realizing it is going to be tough for me to leave Verizon. I was just chatting with a rep. from T-Mobile and she informed me of a 7 GB ceiling for HOTSPOT/TETHERING. Crazy! Almost all of my data is used by my kids tablets when travelling or my laptop (work). Up until that moment T-Mobile was looking promising. She went on to tell me that there is even a 7 GB limit for their "UNLIMITED" plan. What?!?! That would mean NOT-UNLIMITED! Right? (Are all other carriers like that? Curious...)

I am beginning to think Verizon has me where they want me.

dpham00, I gotcha. My wife was thinking of me buying something to hold me over but I don't know if I can do it. I've been set on the LG G4 or Edge for quite some time. Then again, one thing for certain, she is VERY NOT KEEN on me laying down $699 for the Edge. She is gritting her teeth on the G4.

Tmobile unlimited data plan is limited to 7 gb hotspot. I believe that you can pay more if you want more hotspot,at $10 per 2gb over 7gb. Otherwise the hotspot would just cut off once you hit 7gb.

TMobile has thea promotional deal with 4 lines with 10gb per line(40gb total) for $120,and you can use all 10gb on hotspot. You can increase to 20gb for an additional $10 per line.

Att has hotspot included but pricing would probably be similar to what you are paying on Verizon.

The only plan with official unlimited hotspot is the legacy Verizon unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot addon.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The $200 credit and extending your contract for 2 years seems to be the worst option. Did you ask them specifically if you can early edge? That would be the best option imo, but I would ask in store and bring the LG2 to make sure they would accept it given the screen issue. The G4 is currently $23 on edge, so with the $25/line discount you'd save $2/month and no activation fee.
If they won't early edge you from the G2 I think the best option is to buy a cheap phone for full price and ride it out till January. Go with something like the refurbed Moto X or a Moto G. The good thing is that Verizon is always running promotions where they'll give you a minimum $100 for a trade in when you activate a new Edge account. So if you buy something like the refurbed X for $100 and then do an Edge in January when your contract is up (and Edge is definitely a better deal than contract for someone with a 6GB or above plan as you do), you'll likely get the full cost of that phone back in a trade.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
The $200 credit and extending your contract for 2 years seems to be the worst option. Did you ask them specifically if you can early edge? That would be the best option imo, but I would ask in store and bring the LG2 to make sure they would accept it given the screen issue. The G4 is currently $23 on edge, so with the $25/line discount you'd save $2/month and no activation fee.
If they won't early edge you from the G2 I think the best option is to buy a cheap phone for full price and ride it out till January. Go with something like the refurbed Moto X or a Moto G. The good thing is that Verizon is always running promotions where they'll give you a minimum $100 for a trade in when you activate a new Edge account. So if you buy something like the refurbed X for $100 and then do an Edge in January when your contract is up (and Edge is definitely a better deal than contract for someone with a 6GB or above plan as you do), you'll likely get the full cost of that phone back in a trade.

The Verizon Wireless stores have both said they would reject my LG G2 because of the deadspot. The price of T-Mobile's LG G4 LITERALLY DROPPED to 479.95 overnight. This makes the decision a little bit tougher now. I am very tempted to leave Verizon altogether with both of my lines now and change my wife's LG G3 to a G4 also.

Arg!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Last time I did a trade in they inspected it very quickly. I doubt that they would catch the dead spot,if you didn't tell them about it. If not trade in into gazelle, your device should qualify even with the dead zone.

AgentDecoy

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered putting a tablet on the T-Mobile account? I believe T-Mobile still matches data of the corresponding smartphone for $10. I think there are some restrictions you'd have to look into, but with the tablet's stand alone data plus the standard hotspot allotment you might be covered with enough data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I'll look into the tablet option. I haven't considered it though.

I just got home from visiting a T-Mobile store. Are those freaking places always so busy?!?! I looked into two others only to see the same busy scene earlier today.

Spoke to a nice girl. It was refreshing to see somebody actually write something down on an actual piece of paper (for me to take with me). If I brought both of my lines over she said I could have the following for $100 ($50 per line):

- Unlimited TALK
- Unlimited TEXT
- Unlimited DATA (7 GB TETHERING/HOTSPOT per line ceiling)
- Unlimited streaming music

Does this look/sound right?

You know, most times I have jumped out of the "comfort box" the results have not been bad. When I look at the RootMetrics numbers I see that T-Mobile is not favorable when compared to Verizon and AT&T but I have a hunch it wouldn't be that bad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user