Closest phone available to my dream phone?

growlor

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Looking for my Goldilocks phone (one that is "just right") and not having much luck. They all feel compromised somehow, so am looking to see if I might have missed one.
What I am looking for:
Compatible with the USA Verizon network (could be from a reseller, like Straight Talk) as many of the places I travel, they are the only ones with decent coverage.
Removeable battery (I know it's not as big a deal as it used to be, but I want the control being able to take the battery out allows. in addition to the flexibility.)
MicroSD support (again - it's about control and flexibility.)
The most free/open OS I can get (I would LOVE to have a Linux phone without the Android wrapper some day - for now I guess Android is the closest we can get.)
Unhindered security updates. I used to be a IT security guy, so am a bit paranoid about this. I think some manufacturers were committing to provide updates for a while (maybe HTC???) I know part of the issue is probably my ISP getting in the way too, but hopefully some phone makers can work around them?
Fast CPU with lots of RAM.
Minimal/no add-ons and bloatware.

I've been looking around and the best/closest I can find thus far is either the LG G4 or the Samsung S5/Note4/Note Edge. What I would have liked would be something like a G4 with a faster CPU (usually a few higher speed cores beats many slower speed cores in real world useage) or a S5 bumped up with the processor and RAM of an S6.
I have also been drooling over some of those phones coming out of China, but the ones I have found seem to not have CDMA support (so when I get out in the boondocks, no signal.)
Have I missed one that might be my Goldilocks?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nope; what you're looking for doesn't yet exist. The Note 4 and LG G4 are the only two that meet the specs and feature sets, but both have very bloated software and very thick and sticky UI's. There is a rumor that the new Moto X may have the SD card, removable battery is an almost certainly not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo