Edge question regarding sale of phone.

eljoker

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So I have an HTC M8 in red that I used Edge on. I have since bought a Nexus 6 unlocked and have used for almost a year now. I believe I still have an Edge balance on the M8 and wanted to sell it along with the Nexus to pick up a Moto X. Would you guys happen to know if I need to pay that blaance first before I sell the M8? I was just going to funnel the cash over to the Edge balance unless I have to pay it first.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
i believe you need to pay the balance of the phone before the sale occurs other wise the potential buyer may have a nice paper weight, edge plan is essentially financing the phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
As long as the M8 is not activated, you can sell it. Your still responsible for paying off the M8 of course. When you singed up with edge, you bought the M8 and Verizon let you pay it off with monthly installments. But the phone is yours, not Verizon's. so your're free to do whatever you like with the M8.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You need to pay it off first. Then you can sell it. Its not like a car pymt. You are still held accountable even if turned off and not using. I turned off a tablet I didn't particularly like but had to pay it off . Same principal

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You need to pay it off first. Then you can sell it. Its not like a car pymt. You are still held accountable even if turned off and not using. I turned off a tablet I didn't particularly like but had to pay it off . Same principal

It is actually very similar to a car payment. If you sell the car, the dealer will pay off the balance first,same with the phone.

If you stop payment on a car, they will repossess it. On a phone it isn't worth it for them to repossess a phone, so they will blacklist it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
They won't blacklist it if you sell it before paying it off. Only if you stop paying. Again you bought the phone your free to do whatever you like with it. Verizon doesn't care about the phone, only the money you owe them for it.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 6 about 6 months after setting up an Edge plan. As long as you don't default on the Edge payment there will be no issues for whoever buys the phone. Also, you can't Early Edge with whatever phone you decide to put on your Edge line. You can only Early Edge with the original phone.

down1plus2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
You can sell with a balance but cant be activated ot in default. I got a Note 4 and sold 2 weeks later. Purchased a Nexus 6 and activated it, so basically still paying balance off but with a different phone.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
You can sell with a balance but cant be activated ot in default. I got a Note 4 and sold 2 weeks later. Purchased a Nexus 6 and activated it, so basically still paying balance off but with a different phone.

Aye. That's what I did too. Sold my iPhone 6 and picked up the Note Edge.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've sold several phones while still on the Edge program over the last year or so with zero issues on the buyers side when it comes to activation. Of course, I have either continued to pay down the balance or pay off the remaining.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
These are all good points from a seller's perspective, but would any of you disclose that information to the buyer before the sale?

I am not judging, just asking. As a buyer I would never buy a phone that still had outstanding payments unless it was from a very close friend or relative.

Life happens and there could be a good reason that would prevent you from paying off the edge balance, but the buyer could really be out of luck if the phone is eventually blacklisted.

Swappa.com won't allow a phone to be sold if it has an outstanding balance, but EBay has no safe guard.

However, I would buy it only if the seller agreed to meet in a carrier store and used my money to pay off the balance at the time of the sale.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz