Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts for new customers (existing customers can still get contracts)

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

I thought if you did a dumphone upgrade, and moved the phone to your unlimited line, you still got stuck with the 30 dollar data plan on the dumphone line?
When I got my N4, that was supposedly in place but my guy at Costco got the switch from dumb line to go through with No $30 data left added to dumb line. I plan on him doing that again today on my husbands phone to upgrade him from N2 to N4.

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

Silly question, but I haven't read if hotspot is included with the new plans. Can anyone confirm or deny?

-Jason

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Hotspot is free on all Verizon data plans except unlimited. You pay for the data and they have to let you use it. In fact, Verizon should be happy to do it because if you don't have an UDP and use hotspot you have a better chance of exceeding your data limit which translated to more money for them.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I am saving 30.00 making the switch. Effective for me on new billing. Saving money is a good thing. Still have my corp discount too. Very pleased. I was on The Edge so this transition was easy to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I'd be able to save roughly $85 if I could switch in the middle of my contract. No go though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hotspot is free on all Verizon data plans except unlimited. You pay for the data and they have to let you use it. In fact, Verizon should be happy to do it because if you don't have an UDP and use hotspot you have a better chance of exceeding your data limit which translated to more money for them.
That's incorrect. The legacy nationwide tiered data plans, some of which do not include hotspot by default uploadfromtaptalk1439998031884.jpg

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

That's incorrect. The legacy nationwide tiered data plans, some of which do not include hotspot by default View attachment 191928
Found my answer, thank you.

ef26a6a5bdd324016e1d20dcf9dba012.jpg

-Jason

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

That's incorrect. The legacy nationwide tiered data plans, some of which do not include hotspot by default View attachment 191928

I stand corrected. However, those are not plans anyone can currently move to, are they? I also seem to remember Verizon lost a big court case on this a couple of years ago where they had to provide the hotspot free on all non-unlimited data plans because, as I mentioned, you paid for the data. None the less, it is hard to argue with your screenshot!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I stand corrected. However, those are not plans anyone can currently move to, are they? I also seem to remember Verizon lost a big court case on this a couple of years ago where they had to provide the hotspot free on all non-unlimited data plans because, as I mentioned, you paid for the data. None the less, it is hard to argue with your screenshot!

Correct, as stated, that is on the legacy nationwide plan. Legacy meaning old,and not currently available for new accounts.

With that said, I have heard some people being able to move to the legacy nationwide plan, by calling and asking for the plan and providing the plan code. Ymmv of course.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm currently on a More Everything plan of 10 GB for $80. With two phones on Edge payments, it brings me to $160/mo (with the Edge payments equal to the discount on line access). I noticed the new Verizon plan is offering 12 GB for the same price, so I called for extra info before switching. The rep said that my bill before taxes would actually go up about $10 because the payment plan discount is about $5 lower per line than on More Everything.

After poking about on their site more, I wasn't seeing anything about device payment plan/Edge discounts one way or the other on line access. Can anyone confirm what the rep was telling me? I have an M8 and Note 3 on the account, if that makes a difference. I think when I originally bought them, some phones had different discount rates on the line access.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That is correct. Currently you are getting a $25 per line discount off the $40, so $15 per line =$30 + $80 =$110 + cost of phones which for you is $50. Under the new plan it is $20 per line on top of the $80 for 12GB, so $120 + cost of phones (50) = $170. If you want or need the extra 2gb then it's a decent deal, but if 10gb is sufficient you are better off with your current plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There is no more line access discount on the new plan because there are no more contracts.

Your bill would be $80+20+20 on the new plan, currently $80+15+15. Device payment plan cost didn't change.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

You can click on change plans in My Verizon. Check one interested in and will show u the price you would receive should you decide to change. Any discounts such as corporate will be applied. My share everything I was paying 184. With the new plans I will be paying 130. It was a win for me to switch

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

You can click on change plans in My Verizon. Check one interested in and will show u the price you would receive should you decide to change. Any discounts such as corporate will be applied. My share everything I was paying 184. With the new plans I will be paying 130. It was a win for me to switch

Not entirely correct, as shown with my issue. The My Verizon app showed my bill would remain equal because it didn't take into account the line access discounts I'm currently getting but would loose if I switched.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I am just myself. One phone two tablets and jetpak which o use for internet at hone. Getting added discounts off those items. Glad. Huge savings for me

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon confirms existing customers can still get phones on contract

I was told last week this program is no longer offered.

Verizon confirms that existing contract customers can still get phone upgrades | The Verge

Unfortunately the reps gave you inaccurate information. Not surprising as it has happened to me on numerous occasions. A number of people on here including myself can vouch that existing customers can get contracts currently.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5