Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts for new customers (existing customers can still get contracts)

James Rogers2

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts for new customers (existing customers can still get contracts)

Does this mean the only way to keep your unlimited data is to pay retail?

Mod edit: as discussed later in the thread, Verizon allows for contracts for people on existing plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

So if I want to upgrade my device, my two year contract (and subsidized payment) option is gone?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

Does this mean the only way to keep your unlimited data is to pay retail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my first thought too. The big question will still be when plan changes occur and if the new financing options can be applied to older plans.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

"smartphone subsidies, with customers now offered the option of ... paying via a monthly installment plan" Guess what? That's how the subsidy works! All they're doing is charging you the same thing as if they had given you a subsidy - then making you pay for the phone on top of that. "Ditching phone contracts" sounds great - until you understand that it only means "not applying the subsidy payment to the price of the phone". IOW, the same "quart" of milk costs the same thing - but now it's a 16 ounce "quart.

So my 4 phones with 6GB of shared data would cost me $140/month - I'm paying AT&T $130/month for the same thing. Paid-for phones, 7GB of shared data.

"it will give customers "'a simpler and more streamlined bill, making it easier to see and understand monthly charges.'" Wanna bet? There may be less information to digest in the new bills, but people still won't understand where Verizon is sticking it, because that information won't be in the "simpler and more streamlined bill", any more than it is in the current one.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

So I have 3 lines (smartphones) currently with 1GB of data (we're on wifi most of the time) and I'm paying roughtly $185 per month. So this new plan doesn't automatically change over? I have to buy new phones for this to take effect? How much cheaper would it be if I did so? Saving money is always good.

Meadowlands

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

So I better upgrade my phones then before this change takes place as this will be the last time I can upgrade with a 2 year agreement

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

So I have 3 lines (smartphones) currently with 1GB of data (we're on wifi most of the time) and I'm paying roughtly $185 per month. So this new plan doesn't automatically change over? I have to buy new phones for this to take effect? How much cheaper would it be if I did so? Saving money is always good.

You don't need to buy new phones; however, it does matter how you bought your current phones. If you signed a 2 year contract, and switch to the new plans, you'll stay at the $40 line access until the contract is up. If your phones are on Verizon edge, you can switch to the new plans and have the line access fee be $20.

Nothing will automatically change over unless you ask to be switched to the new plans when they come into effect.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Ok, so all 3 are 2 year contracts. So I'll be waiting till next year then when they're up.

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

So how If I am on a family/shared data plan does this mean we now pay different rates for the data. Also, if I want to buy a phone I have to buy one outright. Is this correct?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Also, if I want to buy a phone I have to buy one outright. Is this correct?
Outright or on a monthly payment plan (which will be added to your bill, so it's the same as it is now, except it'll probably cost you a bit more).

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

Mine will be about the same after I upgrade to a cheaper phone. But I'm thinking of dropping from the 10gb to the 6gb next month to save $20/month on the new plan.

I wish they would stop changing their edge stuff. When I signed up last year, I got stuck paying for the phone over 20 months. So I've been looking forward to upgrading and paying for a phone over 24 month with the $25 discount for edge. Now that discount will be gone.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

So, no subsidy prices anywhere, even like Best Buy, etc?

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

From what I've read, no. I've decided I'm keeping my phone until it's paid off instead of early edge. No more payments for me. It's just getting too expensive.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site

Id like to know if they will switch my contracts over and then I can cancel the "contracts".

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Id like to know if they will switch my contracts over and then I can cancel the "contracts".

That's probably in the "restrictions". Knowing Verizon, they might charge you a migration fee...

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site

So does this mean we should hurry and get a subsidized phone before August 13th?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I'll stick with buying used phones and swapping my phones out online myself the way I've been doing it. I learned my lesson about buying a phone at full price about 4 years ago and I am not fond of Edge type programs where you have to turn in your phone to get a new one. Too much like a landlord having control.

floridahater

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

Just get a Moto g and be done with it. Everyone I know just does social media and texts anyway. Who needs a $700+ anymore really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49