Please help me understand Verizon plans/deals

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The basic question is that I know that Verizon announced that there would be no more contracts, but I see these deals (Best Buy, Target) offering $200 gift cards with purchase of certain phones with 2 year contracts -- seems to be a contradiction, no? Please explain.

Additionally, please advise as to the best way to handle what I need to do.

I presently have a Sprint family plan with 4 phones on it. There used to be a fifth which was moved to Verizon a year ago when it was out of contract with Sprint. We want to move everything to Sprint. Everything will be out of contract with Sprint by 10/3/15. The plan needs a total of 2 smartphones (one is the existing one already on Verizon) and 3 regular phones. We need a total data of only 2 GB (which I presently have now on the 1 phone Verizon plan) with unlimited phone & texting.

I don't mind committing to a new 2 year contract if that is available and best way to do it.

How do you suggest making the switch and with what plan/setup on Verizon?

TIA.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Contracts are still allowed for users who had plans before the Verizon plan. Most of the deals should work with the device payment plan for verizon, but you should check to be sure.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Contracts are still allowed for users who had plans before the Verizon plan. Most of the deals should work with the device payment plan for verizon, but you should check to be sure.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

So, the no-contract plans are only for new subscribers? And if a current subscriber wants to extend their contract and add phones to it they can? And are there still contract-subsidized phones as in the past?

Any idea what would be the best plan set up (with or without contract; options, etc.) for my needs?

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching on Verizon's website and don't see any option to add additional lines to my existing plan (only to change the amount of data). Is there a way to keep a 2 year contract plan AND add additional lines to it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching on Verizon's website and don't see any option to add additional lines to my existing plan (only to change the amount of data). Is there a way to keep a 2 year contract plan AND add additional lines to it?
Go to the upgrade page, then add a line.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Yes, make sure you are signed in to your MyVerizon account so the two year prices show up. Then as stated above, click upgrade and the option to add a line should show up.

Posted via the Android Central App

CMeys

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I've found most of the options I was looking for now and it seems that I can get a Verizon plan for much cheaper than I was paying with Sprint, Yes, the Sprint plan had unlimited data which is something, but I don't use it. 2-3 GB is plenty for our plan. Verizon's plan has unlimited voice & texts while Sprint's is limited to 1500 minutes. This would be with the 2 year contract plan with Verizon (which I can do as I already have 1 line on it and I have 22% company discount).

The one remaining question which I have not found an answer to is to this scenario:
As I said before, I have 1 line already on a Verizon contract -- contract goes until 7/16. I'd like to give the phone on that line (Galaxy S5) to one of the new lines and a Note 5 for that line. Is there a way I can do that with that line still under contract?