How many refurbs do you need for Verizon to allow you to get a new phone?

bst5005

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it different for android phones, but when i had the blackberry storm i went through 8 different refurbs and never got an option to change phones...

StorminDT

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I went thru 3 refurb Inc's before they switched me to the X.

But, I am on a national/corporate acct. So the rules may be different.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i think the policy is just to keep throwing refurbs at you. but you can sometimes get around policy by being friendly and not a jerk. i remember when my wife got the devour, it crapped out on her after just 10 weeks. she should have just been issued a refurb, but she was really nice to the guy at the verizon store, and he let her pay the difference to upgrade to the OG droid. so it all depends

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
They did away with that policy almost a year ago.

The new policy is you continue getting the same device until you can upgrade UNLESS there is a recall on that device.

Yes, some people can get lucky and get a device swapped out, but this is an exception and there is NO standard way of getting it.

What's going on with your phone?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yup, they did away with it. I know. I went through almost a 11 BB Storm 9550 for the exact same issue and 1 was a different issue.

afbar1114

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Yup, they did away with it. I know. I went through almost a 11 BB Storm 9550 for the exact same issue and 1 was a different issue.

you would think at that point it maybe the phone and its prolly not just yours and maybe allow people to eschange them or update the software if that was the issue

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It was an issue I have seen in CB and it was just stupid that they did not do anything but send refurbs. Then I ask a rep and he said, it's been a known issue and the only thing they can do is send out a refurb.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You can get them to bump you an upgrade if you're really nice, and express the hardship without whining. A friend of mine got from an env3 into a droid 2 global after 1 replacement, 8 months into a contract, and only payed 100 for new not refurbed. Work the angles and hope you get a rep who's feeling helpful.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I think its also based on the store you go to and the rep.

Yep.

There is no policy anymore, so it's totally up to what the store can push through.

For this kind of stuff, it's better going to a corp store since switches like this and exception upgrades typically don't net any commission, so indirects can't afford them.

It's also a very bad idea to say what phone you wouldn't mind switching to. If you do this they think you're just trying to do the swap because you want a new phone and you're trying to make up the bugs.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had many issues with Blackberry. If you call customer care and ask to speak to Retention and be nice, then maybe they will offer help to you. I had gotten my last BB and I had emailed stating I hope this one has no issues because I will want to speak to someone . Sure enough it was giving me issues and Retention allowed me to get into the Droid Incredible. A refurb one, but still works great. You can't get a NEW device will have to be a refurbished device. So, if you are nice....it can happen.
I had to wait awhile for it because the Incredible is popular and they don't get a lot of refurbs on it. So ask for Retention dept and good luck.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I would say anywhere from 3-5. With the right complaing to a supervisor... Verizon is pretty flexible. Everything I have is through Verizon...Cable, Internet, Home Phone, Cell phone....etc. When you threaten to leave and know how to speak to them over the phone, you would be surprised what they will do to keep you as a customer.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just have to be calm and DO NOT yell or swear. I have 4 lines through them and my line have been with them for about 6 years, my other line, almost 4 years, another line 2 years and a new line.

I was able to upgrade early with all the issues I had. Went to one store and they gave me somewhat of a hard time, just left and went to another store and they realized all the replacement and just told me to wait and they took care of everything. 30 minutes later, I got a DX with extended battery and case.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I would say anywhere from 3-5. With the right complaing to a supervisor... Verizon is pretty flexible. Everything I have is through Verizon...Cable, Internet, Home Phone, Cell phone....etc. When you threaten to leave and know how to speak to them over the phone, you would be surprised what they will do to keep you as a customer.

Lol! This is too funny. Catch more bees with honey........

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
BTW ther only give you a new phone if you agree to a additional 2 years contact.

This is correct. If you get an offer for a new phone of the same model, or a Different phone model, if you accept the offer you are re-signing your contract. This means that you'll be in contract with them for 2 years from the date you activate the new equipment.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've heard like if you something like 3-4 refurbs verizon will allow you to switch and get a new phone of your choice.
I went through 5 before I got a new Droid 2, which broke within 24 hours (literally overheated), which I exchanged for a Fascinate. Unfortunately I had to sign a 2 year contract to get the Fascinate, which I shouldn't have done.