What do you think Verizon would do to keep a subscriber??

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
All the carriers seem to have a way to pull each-others customers away. But, I wonder, do any of them step up to keep current customers?
Here is my thought using my carrier, Verizon, as an example. (I am not interested in which is superior at the moment, just talking $$).

I have been price comparing Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon and have found Sprint to be the least expensive for me on a family plan.
The difference seems to come from their line fees:

Verizon charges me $40 per user, so on 4 lines, that is $160 minus the discounts for Edge ($25 each) so I have a $60 net charge for line fees. Sprint charges a flat $100 for all four lines. (and their phones fees are less too but that is another argument.)

I would like to call Verizon and ask them to drop the extra line charges and include it in the $100 data plan to match Sprint's. Worth a shot? Anyone heard of such a thing from Verizon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can ask, but highly unlikely that Verizon would budge on removing the line access charges

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
All the carriers seem to have a way to pull each-others customers away. But, I wonder, do any of them step up to keep current customers?
Here is my thought using my carrier, Verizon, as an example. (I am not interested in which is superior at the moment, just talking $$).

I have been price comparing Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon and have found Sprint to be the least expensive for me on a family plan.
The difference seems to come from their line fees:

Verizon charges me $40 per user, so on 4 lines, that is $160 minus the discounts for Edge ($25 each) so I have a $60 net charge for line fees. Sprint charges a flat $100 for all four lines. (and their phones fees are less too but that is another argument.)

I would like to call Verizon and ask them to drop the extra line charges and include it in the $100 data plan to match Sprint's. Worth a shot? Anyone heard of such a thing from Verizon?

What is your data bucket on that ME plan?

Posted via the Android Central App

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Nothing they don't care about their customers. I moved from Verizon to T-mobile I couldn't be happer. I used 25GB a month with no problems. I save so much money.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can always - assuming your contract has expired - call the retention department and ask them to convince you to not move to Sprint. The worst that can happen is that you waste 5 minutes. (Their job is to retain you as a customer, as long as they don't lose money doing so.)

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Verizon do something to benefit a customer? LOL!

I spoke to a couple of supervisors both on regular customer service and business customer service.

I said to them... I know you folks want me off the UDP. Can you make me an offer, reduced Note 5 cost, accessories, anything to make the switch a win-win for both of us.

Nothing! Zero! Zilch! Nada!

And I've been a customer for many years who has never missed a payment.

Verizon... they don't give a rat's you know what about a customer!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The most they will give udp customers is the max plan offer.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon doesn't price match or negotiate on personal plans. Take it out leave it, basically, and given their profitability and market dominance it's hard to argue ...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I seriously doubt Verizon would discount a plan so much. The most you can hope for is that they offer you a non-advertised plan that is a slight discount, as they've done in the past for some customers.

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
They don't do anything. I was a UDP'er, and both cust service people I talked to were very polite and told me exactly what info I needed if I left Verizon. I said buh bye and am glad I did.

After all these years being liquored up on how good I thought Vz was, I'm saving a ton of money and the phone call quality is better. I wish I jumped ship a long time ago; I would have saved a ton of $$.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I drive for a living, so coverage is priority #1 and Verizon is the only game in town as far as that goes. I'm willing to pay a higher price for that.

I will say I have my fingers crossed for a special deal they offered me. With my M8 going out, I was looking to upgrade to the G4 but still owe $120 on the device payment plan. If the M8 was working (won't even boot ATM), I'd qualify to early upgrade and waive the outstanding balance. Since I don't qualify, I called asking what options I may have other than buying out the M8. I asked if they could give me a little relief on the balance, expecting maybe waiving 50% if I was lucky.

The lady looked into some things and then the supervisor got on the line. She said because of my loyalty and excellent payment history, she would sell me the G4 for $150 straight up (meaning no device payment plan), while paying off the remaining balance on the M8 as normal. In my head I'm thinking JACKPOT, but I needed to make sure my wife was on the same page before pulling the trigger and arranged for Verizon to call back later.

Unfortunately the appointed time came and went with no call. I tried calling back and found out that I was at a different call center that time and they can't transfer calls between centers. That guy was no help, so tried calling again and that time the operator said their supervisor would email the call center I originally went through to have them call me. Of course they didn't note the offer on my account, which is why I need to go back to that original center.

If they don't call in a day or two, I'm going to try escalating this to have them pull the phone recording if possible. I want that stinking deal! :eek:

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I once looked into switching from udp to new 2 year contract to get a discount on 6s edge plus. VZW phone patiently rep went through all the options and how it would affect my wife's line as well in our family plan. I still wanted a lot of data so I think I opted for the 10 gb plan. Could have been 12 I don't recall. Anyway it was going to cost us a lot more so I thanked the rep and passed. She then offered to double the data I would be paying for. I still decided against it.

I called a couple of nights ago about the increase in udp plan and we again went through all the options. Now cost was closer and I would get a new phone so I asked about doubling the data as had previously been offered. "Nope, we never do that" I threatened to switch to Tmobile. "Of course that is your option. Would you like to shut off your account now or wait until Tmobile gets in touch with us?"

Not much concern about losing me. Like you I need good service so I am stuck in VZW. TMobile sucks in my area. ATT is a little better but not cheap enough to bother switching.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I once looked into switching from udp to new 2 year contract to get a discount on 6s edge plus. VZW phone patiently rep went through all the options and how it would affect my wife's line as well in our family plan. I still wanted a lot of data so I think I opted for the 10 gb plan. Could have been 12 I don't recall. Anyway it was going to cost us a lot more so I thanked the rep and passed. She then offered to double the data I would be paying for. I still decided against it.

I called a couple of nights ago about the increase in udp plan and we again went through all the options. Now cost was closer and I would get a new phone so I asked about doubling the data as had previously been offered. "Nope, we never do that" I threatened to switch to Tmobile. "Of course that is your option. Would you like to shut off your account now or wait until Tmobile gets in touch with us?"

Not much concern about losing me. Like you I need good service so I am stuck in VZW. TMobile sucks in my area. ATT is a little better but not cheap enough to bother switching.

I'm sorry to hear that you are stuck paying to much with Verizon. In the last couple of years T-mobile has gotten a lot more spectrum and greatly increased there coverage. You can take the T-mobile test drive to make sure what you think about T-mobile is actually true for your area or you could find T-mobile's coverage has gotten a lot better. Before you sign away your money go to a T-mobile store and take them for a free test drive.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I assume I would have to give them my personal info? Perhaps a credit card number? Then they send that info out to be hacked so someone can steal my ID? Was it their credit checker who was hacked? Anyway I'm afraid to give them personal info now

Last edited:

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of any other carriers working deals. VZW has the coverage that the others lack. Sprint sux and T-Mobile has lousy coverage outside of cities and cut your speed. And don't get me started on AT&T. For my money vzw has it all. Wife and I are on subsidized share plan with 2gb plus another 4gb bonus until end of contract. 2 g3s and 130 a month including all taxes and fees. Think we will stick with reliable service.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they dropped the ball on their offer to me. The original operator and her supervisor never called back to make good on it, even after several attempts to get them to do so. They didn't even call to say if the offer was recended. I didn't ask for anything specific; they were the ones that made the offer and they should have honored it. So now it looks like I'm stuck still paying on a non-working phone.

Surprisingly, it looks like they are my best deal. I explored other carriers, and the only one even half reliable where I need is AT&T. To get a comparable plan to meet my needs, the base price before any taxes or employee discounts was already a little more than what my Verizon plan is after taxes and employee discount. Granted, it would have been more data (10 GB vs 15 GB ), but I don't necessarily need the extra with my current budget. The 15 GB plan is normally only 10 GB that's currently increased for the same price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18