Unlimited Verizon User to Tiered? Corporate E-mail Included?

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
All,

I've been on a grandfathered Verizon plan for some time now. Buying phones at full retail sort of sucks so I've been wondering if I should make the commitment to switch. Here is what I currently have

Nationwide Talk & Text Unlimited: $89.99
CORP E-mail & Data Unlimited: $44.99
Corporate Discount (20%): $26.99
Monthly Bill Before Tax: $107.98

Anytime I want a new phone, I have to pay full retail. Let's say $800 on average a year

When I talked to a Verizon rep, she told me the new plans include the cost of my CORP E-mail & Data Unlimited. If that is the case, I'd be looking at the following comparable:

18GB Data Tier with Unlimited Talk & Text: $100
Phone Line Cost: $20
Corporate Discount (20%): $24
Monthly Bill Before Tax: $96.00

At my current Company, I pay $20 and the rest I'm able to pass through as a expense for reimbursement so right now, cost doesn't really matter but who knows if I'll be here for the rest of my career.

What I'm looking to decide is, do you think it is worth giving up the Unlimited everything plan for the ability to upgrade phones at a significant discount every two years? I'm also anticipating that my current unlimited plan will increase another $20 a month based upon Verizon raising the grandfathered data price. On average, I use 5-6 GB a month, so I'd think 18 GB would be plenty.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, the Verizon plan doesn't have subsidized phones. You would have to either pay full retail outright or full retail financed over 24 months

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean doesn't have subsidized phones? If I log into my Verizon account, I am able to select $29/mo, $299 2-year contract or $696 full retail for a 32 GB Note 5.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean doesn't have subsidized phones? If I log into my Verizon account, I am able to select $29/mo, $299 2-year contract or $696 full retail for a 32 GB Note 5.

That's because the system is reading your old Nationwide plan and not one of the new ones. Nationwide comes in both unlimited and tiered line (not shared) plans. If you directly upgrade, it will shift you over to a tiered data plan with unlimited minutes and text (since you are paying extra for that).

dpham00 is correct. Your calculations are missing the phone payments.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As said above, when you move to the Verizon plan, you won't be allowed to upgrade at $299 on service contract. Your only options would be the $29/mo or $696 full retail.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as Verizon had the note 5 for $233 on dpp. After all promotions. Required a bit of work.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That's because the system is reading your old Nationwide plan and not one of the new ones. Nationwide comes in both unlimited and tiered line (not shared) plans. If you directly upgrade, it will shift you over to a tiered data plan with unlimited minutes and text (since you are paying extra for that).

dpham00 is correct. Your calculations are missing the phone payments.

So really there is no reason to switch from my unlimited plan to a tiered plan because there is no savings or advantages in buying a phone for cheaper. You will always pay the full retail price, just you have the option to spread the cost out over 2 years instead of 1 up front cost?

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
So really there is no reason to switch from my unlimited plan to a tiered plan because there is no savings or advantages in buying a phone for cheaper. You will always pay the full retail price, just you have the option to spread the cost out over 2 years instead of 1 up front cost?

Based on your math, that is correct. You could drop down to the $80/12 GB plan. If you went this route, a phone payment would basically breakeven with your current plan.

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Based on your math, that is correct. You could drop down to the $80/12 GB plan. If you went this route, a phone payment would basically breakeven with your current plan.

Thanks a lot guys for the understanding on this. No incentive for me to change my plan if there is no discount on phones but only a 2 year monthly plan. I can afford to pay the cost up front so no need to lose my unlimited plan.