Verizon Data-Only Plan and Google Voice

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I was on track to get the Thunderbolt next week, and a few days ago, got the wind knocked out of me when I experienced some, uh, life changes...

So, my Verizon contract is up next month, and at first, I was planning on dropping my contract and getting a Straight Talk phone to carry me through the next few months until things improved.

However, I truly NEED mobile connectivity, especially so right now as I'm going through these things. I need to be connected at all times. For example, I need to send out a document quickly from anywhere at any time, no matter where I am.

4G is also coming to my town soon, and I currently pay $49 a month for a cable modem. Meanwhile, this device functions as a Wifi hotspot at speeds (according to what I've read) that are better than what I even get on my Comcast cable modem. That's a cost savings to me right there because I'm going to have to let go of cable. It's outrageously expensive and I'm not even watching it right now.

But here is my real question. I've just seen that Verizon offers a data-only plan for unlimited data. No minutes at all.

I've also been reading about Google Voice.

Would it be possible to get this data-only plan and switch my current number (which I've had for years and NEED to keep) to Google Voice?

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments about the 4G LTE speeds, data-only plan or Google Voice.

Thanks.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Currently Google Voice doesn't work Natively with VOIP (even with gingerbread). You'll need to use a third party client to do this.

You can port your current phone number out to Google Voice with a one time $20 fee. Make sure you talk to verizon before you do this, because it counts as cancelling your account. If you talk to them beforehand, you MIGHT be able to switch your current phone to a temporary number and then "reserve" your current number so you can port it out. I don't know this for sure, so many sure you double check it with their porting department.

As for the Data only plan, it exists, but it's supposedly only for people who are legally deaf/mute. If you can get it, more power too you, just remember that it won't work (natively) with Google Voice. Google voice for phones still relies on your existing phone number to route all calls through, it's only truely VOIP using the gmail client on a computer.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
What third party client is that please? I have tried Csipsimple so far and it doesn't seem to work with Google Voice.
None of them will work natively with google voice.

What you need to do is get a virtual phone number (like Line2) and get it set up so your GV number forwards through that.

Until GV is VOIP capable, it will never be the "perfect" solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12