Droid mini $8 ($0.33/mo) on DPP for upgrades

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What plan are you on? I was on a Nationwide plan with unlimited data for $49.99.

I was able to use the UPGRADE code to get the device for $8 or $0.33 per month.

I paid off the $8.00 device payment and I am on a month to month contract.

However, I am not eligible for an upgrade discount till 12/27/17.

How long did it take for you to be upgrade eligible again and did you have to activate the phone?

I am on nationwide as well with a mix of unlimited and tiered data, though the available upgrade was from a tiered data line
It should reset after you payoff the device almost instantaneously. If it doesn't reset within a day or two, you will have to call Verizon to reset. Generally speaking, I wouldn't pay it off until it has shipped

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, I wouldn't pay it off until it has shipped

Any specific reason why, with this particular promo or otherwise? I ordered and paid it off instantly before it shipped, but I have the tracking info saying I should get it tomorrow.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any specific reason why, with this particular promo or otherwise? I ordered and paid it off instantly before it shipped, but I have the tracking info saying I should get it tomorrow.
Not sure the exact reason. But I had the same problem. When I paid it off immediately before it shipped, it showed month to month but 2 years until I can upgrade. When I paid after it shipped then everything was ok

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Odd. Mine said I was available instantly after paying it off. Whatever works, I guess.
No idea but mine is stuck and I called Verizon and they said that the buyout hasn't processed and to wait a few days.

And most likely it won't be fixed and I will have to call back. Ugh. I hate Verizon customer service.

On my orders where I waited until after shipping, everything is OK.

Btw, according to the rep I spoke to, they need approval from someone above their direct boss.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No idea but mine is stuck and I called Verizon and they said that the buyout hasn't processed and to wait a few days.

And most likely it won't be fixed and I will have to call back. Ugh. I hate Verizon customer service.

On my orders where I waited until after shipping, everything is OK.

Btw, according to the rep I spoke to, they need approval from someone above their direct boss.

Well, I am glad I am not the only one that's in the same boat. Obviously, I paid it off quickly with the intent that I may order another one....

Regardless, I was also advised the Buyout had not processed and to wait until the end of my current billing cycle. My cycle currently ends on Jan 2, so I'll wait and also call back if needed. I am sure the promo will be over by then.

I was mainly concerned that I had somehow gotten locked into a 2 Year Agreement, but I was assured I had no ETF and was definitely out of contract and month to month, which is good, because I may or may not keep the line long term.

An $8 phone was a completely spontaneous purchase.

As an aside, I was more concerned about a couple relatives that I told about this deal. They were understandably a little skeptical at the prospect of getting an $8 phone with no strings attached.

They don't have insurance and used Craigslist the last time they had to replace a broken phone. They are also getting a $25 discount on each line for being out of contract.

Before proceeding, they wanted me to confirm that doing this $8 device payment plan would not screw up their $25 discount on either line. I promised them it wouldn't.

They also asked about the prospect of repeating the deal on each line, but I advised them the promotion was for a limited time and not to get their hopes up.

Needless to say, I would feel terrible if their $25 monthly discount ($50 total) disappeared and they had to spend time on the phone getting it restored. However, it sounds like I don't have to worry about that.

Regardless of what my upgrade date says, I am just thankful I don't have an ETF or contract to worry about.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Odd. Mine said I was available instantly after paying it off. Whatever works, I guess.

Mooncatt,

After you paid it off, did you order another one? :)

Dpham,

Hopefully, yours will also reset in a couple days.

Also, thanks for bring this deal to the attention of the forum.

When it came out a year or two ago, I remember it as being a solid mid-range device.

IIRC, itmay also have some water resistance properties as well.

When I purchased the Prepaid Moto E from Best Buy for $9.99 on Black Friday, I thought that was a good deal, but Droid Mini is a better device and can be activated right away with no workarounds needed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mooncatt,

No, but I'm not ruling it out. I plan to sell this one. Depending on how the transaction goes, I could see trying again. I may also buy one just to keep as a backup phone. I currently keep an old Bionic for that, which struggles to do much of anything nowadays. I wouldn't use one as a primary device for other reasons, but $8 is a good price to step up some in performance if I need to use it.

I'm starting to wonder if these kinds of deals are the real reason Verizon is so expensive. Not long ago you could get the G4 for better than free with a combination of promos. With a bunch of people basically buying phones dirt cheap with promos to make a profit on, Verizon has to make it up somehow. :sly:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Mooncatt,

Dpham,

Hopefully, yours will also reset in a couple days.

Also, thanks for bring this deal to the attention of the forum.

When it came out a year or two ago, I remember it as being a solid mid-range device.

IIRC, itmay also have some water resistance properties as well.

When I purchased the Prepaid Moto E from Best Buy for $9.99 on Black Friday, I thought that was a good deal, but Droid Mini is a better device and can be activated right away with no workarounds needed.

There are workarounds needed for the Moto E?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Verizon won't activate a prepaid phone on a postpaid plan until it has been active on prepaid for at least 6 months.

However, the workaround would be if you already had an activated sim card. Then, all you would need to do is remove the prepaid sim and replace it with your already active postpaid sim.

IMO, the Droid Mini is a better device and can be activated on postpaid without needing to have an already active sim.

Postpaid devices don't have any 6 month rule, if I recall correctly, so the Droid Mini should work on prepaid as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For me, I wanted a phone that worked good internationally both on Verizon and unlocked. Yeah you can use a hack on the Moto e, but a major hassle when giving it to someone, because you have to redo the hack when you change sims. Plus Verizon didn't support the moto e for international use on their plan .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No, but I'm not ruling it out. I plan to sell this one. Depending on how the transaction goes, I could see trying again. I may also buy one just to keep as a backup phone. I currently keep an old Bionic for that, which struggles to do much of anything nowadays. I wouldn't use one as a primary device for other reasons, but $8 is a good price to step up some in performance if I need to use it.

I'm starting to wonder if these kinds of deals are the real reason Verizon is so expensive. Not long ago you could get the G4 for better than free with a combination of promos. With a bunch of people basically buying phones dirt cheap with promos to make a profit on, Verizon has to make it up somehow. :sly:
Verizon wised up and changed the terms to require 3 months service on trade in promotions

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I am glad I am not the only one that's in the same boat. Obviously, I paid it off quickly with the intent that I may order another one....

Regardless, I was also advised the Buyout had not processed and to wait until the end of my current billing cycle. My cycle currently ends on Jan 2, so I'll wait and also call back if needed. I am sure the promo will be over by then.

I was mainly concerned that I had somehow gotten locked into a 2 Year Agreement, but I was assured I had no ETF and was definitely out of contract and month to month, which is good, because I may or may not keep the line long term.

An $8 phone was a completely spontaneous purchase.

As an aside, I was more concerned about a couple relatives that I told about this deal. They were understandably a little skeptical at the prospect of getting an $8 phone with no strings attached.

They don't have insurance and used Craigslist the last time they had to replace a broken phone. They are also getting a $25 discount on each line for being out of contract.

Before proceeding, they wanted me to confirm that doing this $8 device payment plan would not screw up their $25 discount on either line. I promised them it wouldn't.

They also asked about the prospect of repeating the deal on each line, but I advised them the promotion was for a limited time and not to get their hopes up.

Needless to say, I would feel terrible if their $25 monthly discount ($50 total) disappeared and they had to spend time on the phone getting it restored. However, it sounds like I don't have to worry about that.

Regardless of what my upgrade date says, I am just thankful I don't have an ETF or contract to worry about.

Absolutely no etf and no additional monthly fees since you aren't on service contract. You just have to pay off $8 over 2 years, it buyout anytime. My line shows month to month and no device payment plan on it but the upgrade date has been pushed out 2 years

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wised up and changed the terms to require 3 months service on trade in promotions

True, but it didn't take long for this loophole to surface after that change. I'm sure this will go away as well, and something else will likely come about that people will take advantage of.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True, but it didn't take long for this loophole to surface after that change. I'm sure this will go away as well, and something else will likely come about that people will take advantage of.
The difference is on the g4,you are getting a current high end phone free... These are mid range 2 year old devices that Verizon has a lot of stock of...point being they are losing a lot less on these. But still it would not surprise me if Verizon finds a way to fix this loophole

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
@dpham00 So if my understanding is correct, we can add the droid mini as a new line and then pay off the phone. Then we can cancel the line after 3 months? Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
@dpham00 So if my understanding is correct, we can add the droid mini as a new line and then pay off the phone. Then we can cancel the line after 3 months? Thanks.
You can cancel it at anytime,provided that you didn't take advantage of the trade in promotion. The trade in promotion does require a 3 month wait before cancelling

grohlaholic

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Offer is still good as of 12/30! My father is finally ditching the flip phone and moving to the smartphone world. This is a perfect starter phone to get his feet wet and he was thrilled he didn't have to pay $20+ per month for a new device. I walked him through the steps over the phone as I did the same on my end. It worked and he's happy. He will pay it off immediately and can get a bigger and better phone whenever he feels the need to down the road. Almost too good to be true. I'm tempted to get one for myself just to keep in a drawer as back-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams