Thinking of jumping to VZW...

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been on Sprint for many years, and have generally been happy. My Evo is the best phone on the planet, at least until the Thunderbolt arrives. :cool:

...but I moved about a year ago, and Sprint's coverage is pretty marginal in my new location. At work I can only get 1xRTT data. In my home town I get 3g coverage ok, except in my forested neighborhood where I wouldn't have any signal at all if it wasn't for the femtocell I'm paying $5/month for.

Coverage maps suggest that VZW would be a lot stronger at home and would have 3g data where I work. But when I hit the VZW website and started pricing plans, it was a big sticker shock.

I'm looking for 4 smartphones, all lines with a data plan, with unlimited SMS on at least 2 of those lines. On Sprint, base charge for the 4 lines + femtocell is $155 before all the taxes, etc get added in. Based on the VZW website, it looks like the best I can do is Text and Talk family plan, 4 lines/700 minutes = $120, plus $30/line for data = $240/month. $85/month higher than what I pay Sprint.

I'm not coming here to shill for Sprint; been happy, but want better coverage - I really am looking to jump to VZW. But $85/month is kind of a show stopper. Is there a plan that I missed and should be considering? A new customer discount I could be negotiating? Anything?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
VZW is not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. If pricing is your concern then Sprint and T-mobile might be carriers your looking for. But for overall coverage, AT&T and VZW.

All carriers have their dead spots and good spots. No carrier has good spots all over.

fire n ice

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is still being offered, but I was able to get on a 1400 min/unlimited everything else family plan for 140 plus 20/extra line over 2. This was back in january.

Sent from my SCH-I500

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
VZW is not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Exactly. I only pay for my line on my family's plan but I know overall our monthly bill is pretty huge with 4 smartphones with data plans. We also have a lot of minutes between th four of us bc my dad uses his Blackberry for his business. But yes, Verizon is pricey, but it has excellent service, almost everywhere. Only time I've ever dropped a call was in the middle of nowhere in western Wisconsin when I was driving through it.

Like above posts said if coverage is important to you, Verizon's the way to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante