interesting article about verizon updates

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Imo, the test would be the low end phones on Verizon.... Those usually are the slowest to get updates,if at all

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't really seem like something the feds have any jurisdiction over, but ok...

I remember way back when the Droid Bionic was still getting updates, one of the users here was instrumental in helping with root and leaked updates to try. He claimed to have a Verizon contact and went over how version supposedly tests phone updates.

Verizon would get the update and run it through their battery of tests. As soon as it failed one test, the entire thing was scrubbed and went back to the developer to fix the problem. Then they'd get the updated version and start the test again from square one until it failed another test. They would do this over and over again until the update passed every test. Why they don't run every test, then send it back to the developer to try fixing everything at once, who knows. But their testing process seemed to be the biggest delay in rolling the updates.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the government needs to step in and pressure manufacturers into security updates, no necessarily OS updates.

I fear it will take one major exploit (actually being exploited) for these companies to take action.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm the same way. I don't feel the need to be the most up to date on every device and I take other security measures on my data. And given my track record, I think I'd rather take my chances with a hacker over all the problems I've had with system updates. :banghead:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I completely disagree we need government stepping in and dictating any kind of software updates! They only look out for their own best interests. Not that I buy into this mantra of frequent updates anyway. Device security is much more layered than that! Just because you're on the latest update/patch doesn't mean you're any more secure. If you really believe you are, it's a false sense of security!

Please see this article: Essays: The Psychology of Security- https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/2008/01/the_psychology_of_se.html

Security updates should be important. I feel as though nothing will change until a major exploit is actually exploited on a wide scale.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
iPhones gets updated right away but Android doesn't. That is one thing I do like about Apple. "you want our phones on your network, that's fine, we control software roll out and no bloatware"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781