Tired of verizon - need help

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It would take a lot to post. But more recently, my daughters old iPhone finally needed replacement. So we went and got her a new 6s. I made no changes to our plan at all. Very next bill, its up $40.00 more. Reason I got - we discovered her contract was up and had to give her a new contract. What? Ive never heard of that before. And if this was true, why wasn't I notified? It started 2 years ago when I walked into verizon to with cash to buy the note 4 when it came out. I wanted to keep my unlimited data so i figured to pay cash. The rep told me that I couldnt keep the unlimited plan any longer even if I paid cash. When I got home, I called verizon to find out when their rules changed. They said they didn't change, but since I already signed the contract there was nothing they could do. That was lie & deciet number 1.

Posted via Android Central App

Good luck with whoever you go to. Sales reps are sales reps wherever you go.

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Try Google Project Fi. I was a 10+ year Verizon customer and switched because of their putting a limit on unlimited data. The coverage isn't quite as good, but it's close enough that the price makes up for it!

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Try Google Project Fi. I was a 10+ year Verizon customer and switched because of their putting a limit on unlimited data. The coverage isn't quite as good, but it's close enough that the price makes up for it!

What limit are you referring to?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It makes sense if you use little data... But say even 8gb data is $90 on Verizon, not even counting the 2 gb free. On project fi it would run you $100.

If you you are using 4gb,then Verizon is $70 post paid. If you go prepaid with Auto pay, Verizon 6gb is $60. Project fi 4gb =$60, 6gb=$80.

Down to 3gb,Verizon prepaid is $45 with Auto pay, project fi is $50.

If you use less than 3gb data then sure project fi could make sense... But... Why would you be on Verizon's unlimited data plan if your usage was less than 3gb anyway?

General Tso

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I live in a rural area with 2.5 mb WISP service. I guess I'll just deal with it now. I can tell you this, I simply will not live in an area without broadband. I enjoy the country living but I guess it's gonna be city life for me soon! :(

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been a verizon customer for 24 years since day 1
Posted via Android Central App

Verizon was formed in 2000.......unless you were meaning to say you were a Bell/GTE customer.

Anyway, good luck if you make any carrier changes. I use big blue and big red.......customer service with red is much much better and I always have a signal in my area and when traveling around. Prices are not much different pending on how many lines and such.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon reps unfortunately provides a lot of inaccurate information. When you got rid of udp... You could have returned the phone and had udp reinstated then

But if you are on the Verizon plan then going on contract would be a $40 line access charge. Off contract the line access charge is $20. But if Verizon never told you this and it wasn't in the paperwork provided then contact Verizon, explain the situation and say that you want to return the phone so that the access charge would go down,since you were not informed of the price increase when you bought the phone

This information should have been provided when you signed the new 2 year contract...

I agree, check the contract. I will say if you want new phones and are not going to pay cash for the phones Verizon is going to get expensive. We have all of our phones paid off and our contract with 4 phones is not bad at all. My daughter had an old S3 and wanted something newer. I gave her the option of paying for a new phone or having me buy an S5 on Swappa. Phone looks new and was cheap and no increase on my bill. If you want the latest phone from Verizon on payments then you will pay the price. Actually that is generally the case at most places. Other phone companies deals look good until you start adding in the price of the new phones you are required to purchase.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It makes sense if you use little data... But say even 8gb data is $90 on Verizon, not even counting the 2 gb free. On project fi it would run you $100.

If you you are using 4gb,then Verizon is $70 post paid. If you go prepaid with Auto pay, Verizon 6gb is $60. Project fi 4gb =$60, 6gb=$80.

Down to 3gb,Verizon prepaid is $45 with Auto pay, project fi is $50.

If you use less than 3gb data then sure project fi could make sense... But... Why would you be on Verizon's unlimited data plan if your usage was less than 3gb anyway?

But, with Project Fi, you pay only for what you use, at the rate of $10/GB and you can prepay for as little as 1 GB (which is what I do) or as many GB as you want.

Most months, I actually get a credit of a few dollars for unused data. And, if I run over my prepaid 1GB, I am billed only for the actual data used, in one-byte increments (pennies or dollars), not big chunks that cost $10 or $20 at a time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But, with Project Fi, you pay only for what you use, at the rate of $10/GB and you can prepay for as little as 1 GB (which is what I do) or as many GB as you want.

Most months, I actually get a credit of a few dollars for unused data. And, if I run over my prepaid 1GB, I am billed only for the actual data used, in one-byte increments (pennies or dollars), not big chunks that cost $10 or $20 at a time.

Yeah Fi can be nice but only if you're a low data user. Otherwise it is expensive.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sure, it makes sense for light data users.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I looked into Fi and if you are always near wifi, it's a good deal but if you are not, it's not a good deal.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Fi can be nice but only if you're a low data user. Otherwise it is expensive.

Except that with all the other plans, you pay a fixed amount for xx GB of data, whether you use it all in any given month or not. Whereas with Fi, you pay only for the data you actually use and, if you choose to prepay for a large amount, you get a refund on your next statement for the unused amount, byte-by-byte.

I'll bet most people would ultimately come out ahead using Fi's billing model.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Except that with all the other plans, you pay a fixed amount for xx GB of data, whether you use it all in any given month or not. Whereas with Fi, you pay only for the data you actually use and, if you choose to prepay for a large amount, you get a refund on your next statement for the unused amount, byte-by-byte.

I'll bet most people would ultimately come out ahead using Fi's billing model.

For most yes -- but if you're a known high data user it is still more expensive. Go price out a 30 GB plan on Fi versus Verizon or something and I promise you it is cheaper with Verizon.

For example... 10 GB of data on Fi is $120 a month. For Verizon it would be $100 a month + taxes and with Verizon you would have 12 GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For most yes -- but if you're a known high data user it is still more expensive. Go price out a 30 GB plan on Fi versus Verizon or something and I promise you it is cheaper with Verizon.

For example... 10 GB of data on Fi is $120 a month. For Verizon it would be $100 a month + taxes and with Verizon you would have 12 GB.
Yeah just do the math to see if it is worth it for you.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Another reason why I'm leaving Verizon.

I'm on a 10 gb plan, 4 lines, 245.00 month. When the unlimited plan came out, I call to get into it. No, sorry you can't till the contracts on all your phones run out. REALLY. I've been a customer for 25 years and I can't change. Well I had 5 lines, now down to 4 and counting.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another reason why I'm leaving Verizon.

That CSR is wrong. You can switch any time, they just continue to charge $40 per line instead of $20 per line until the contract expiration date.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Another reason why I'm leaving Verizon.

That CSR is wrong. You can switch any time, they just continue to charge $40 per line instead of $20 per line until the contract expiration date.

You are correct. I just did this for a friend recently. I would advise the OP to do it online .