If I buy a smartphone from BestBuy.com but throw away the SIM, will I be stuck with 2-year data?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a two lines on my Verizon account.

Line 1 = unlimited data, still under contract

Line 2 = basic phone, data block on the line, out of contract

(this question is not about keeping unlimited at all)

If I use Line 2 and order a new Verizon smartphone from BestBuy.com,
will I be stuck with the 2-year $30 data requirement? (assuming that I do
not power on the phone upon receipt and remove/destroy the SIM card
immediately) I will continue to use the existing basic phone on that line
for another 2 or more years.

I'm getting so many conflicting answers from all over the place. Just trying
to get a definitive answer. (yes, I realize nobody can GUARANTEE anything :) )

Thanks!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you throw away the sim and never turn on the phone the data will not be added to the account.

If you switch phones or call *228 the data will be added to the account. Probably for the next 2 years...

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you throw away the sim and never turn on the phone the data will not be added to the account.

If you switch phones or call *228 the data will be added to the account. Probably for the next 2 years...

what happens if I throw away the SIM and put a foreign(UK or German) SIM card and use the phone to roam in the US on T-Mobile or AT&T networks?

thanks!

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is if you buy a new phone on a contract, they check your upgrade eligibility and once bought they activate the phone which then notifies the provider and then you're locked into your two year contract. However, if you buy the phone outright at full cost, that's it, you're done. Do with it what you will.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The contract has nothing to do with the SIM - if you buy the phone with the contract, y9ou're stuck with the contract. (And with a Verizon phone, unless it also has GSM capability, you're stuck with Verizon.)

If you want a phone without being stuck on a data plan you'll have to buy one for the retail price (look on Amazon for the outright purchase price for the phone you're interested in. If it's a high-end Android, you're probably looking at $600 and up.)

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't matter if you keep the SIM or not or power it up. Best buy will scan the phone so they know which serial number you have and activate it on the line you want. So all that data is already done before you turn on the phone. They power it up to make sure it's working and that's it.

Pay full price if you don't want a 2 year contract and so that your phone bill doesn't go up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae