Returning and re-purchase to claim offer?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Right now Verizon has a free 2 GB offer on the larger Verizon plans with a new device payment plan upgrade. I'm still on a More Everything plan and had a DPP purchase of the Note 7, which prevented me from claiming the offer. I talked to a rep, who said I could move to the new eligible Verizon plan, then go back to the Verizon store and return the phone.

Here's the part I want to make sure is legit.

Once on the correct plan and have completed the return process (not an exchange transaction), I can re-purchase the same phone and not have to worry about losing any data on it. Has anyone done this? If so, would they try to charge a restocking fee even though it's being bought again straight away?

I had hoped they could back date the offer, but she said it runs the risk of being caught by their in house auditors and cancelled if not done exactly right.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to the local corporate store today expecting to do the refund/purchase method, but the store rep wanted to check if they could simply manually add the promo (I moved to the XL Verizon plan yesterday so I could qualify). She said she was able to fire off an email, to who knows where, and that it should get added. It's also noted on my account in case it's not added in the next day or two that they would still approve a refund/purchase outside of the 14-day return period.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to the local corporate store today expecting to do the refund/purchase method, but the store rep wanted to check if they could simply manually add the promo (I moved to the XL Verizon plan yesterday so I could qualify). She said she was able to fire off an email, to who knows where, and that it should get added. It's also noted on my account in case it's not added in the next day or two that they would still approve a refund/purchase outside of the 14-day return period.
Wow got actually got a helpful rep

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
That's really weird. I saw this plan too and was on the old Verizon plan without rollover and they switched it no questions asked for the new plan with rollover and the extra 2 GB a month for life. No hassle, no returning a phone to do the plan the "right" way and backdated it to the start of my plan this month.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's really weird. I saw this plan too and was on the old Verizon plan without rollover and they switched it no questions asked for the new plan with rollover and the extra 2 GB a month for life. No hassle, no returning a phone to do the plan the "right" way and backdated it to the start of my plan this month.
In my case, I was on an old More Everything plan with a promotional rate already. So until now, it wasn't cost effective to move to a current plan. At the time, I probably wouldn't have taken the offer even if they informed me about it because it would still mean an increase in my bill. It was a reduction in other bills after the fact that got me interested, which necessitated the extra visit and back dating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2