12-15-2016 09:42 PM
69 123
tools
    Anyone here wana maybe post a Link to this find? Or should we just go to Verizon website and find it ourselves...
    It's not on Verizon website yet. This was from a leak. i was requested not to publicly post a picture of the actual ad.
    11-13-2016 12:35 PM
    Except when the phone is paid off, your bill goes down.
    That is true, since under the traditional model the price of the phone was built into the contract and the monthly service fee remained the same after the end of the contract.

However, I see @Ry's point, since the whole point of the traditional model was to keep people locked up long-term w/ a single carrier. These new DDP's, even with the benefit of "decreasing" bills once they are paid off, are accomplishing the same thing (especially when the promotions are broken out across the life of the plan).

It's a shame because, because consumers want no-contract plans because they ultimately lead to more choice, more competition and lower prices for plans and phones.
    11-13-2016 12:48 PM
    This is different terms than the trade in from what I can tell. That's why I said you could lose out. I don't plan on leaving Verizon either, but there's no way I'll keep the same phone for 2 years. I barely make it 1 year lol. The only way you can upgrade to another device on DPP is if you've paid off your previous phone so I'd lose out in like 4 months.
    You can upgrade early on a DPP once you pay off at least half of the phone, but you have to surrender the phone and get no trade-in value (the trade-in value essentially covers the remaining balance of the DDP).
    11-13-2016 12:54 PM
    This is the one part I'm questioning. I guess I'll have a better idea soon when I pay off my V20 which has the current $300 trade in offer. The Verizon rep I spoke to said once my trade in was inspected and approved to get the $300 trade in credit ($12.5/mo for 24 months), I could then pay off the phone but keep getting the credits if the line was still active the rest of the time. It was only forfeited if the line itself was cancelled.
    https://m.reddit.com/r/verizon/comme...tack_with_the/Per this thread, the $300 trade-in promotion on the V20 is "issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after receipt of trade at Verizon. Your smartphone purchase must remain active on device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop."

I know this was the way the $650 trade-in promotion worked when I preordered my wife's iphone 7 on Day 1, so I imagine the VZW rep you talked to was misinformed when you got your V20.
    11-13-2016 01:06 PM
    You can upgrade early on a DPP once you pay off at least half of the phone, but you have to surrender the phone and get no trade-in value (the trade-in value essentially covers the remaining balance of the DDP).
    This isn't an option for customers who sign up today.
    11-13-2016 01:09 PM
    I wish for once they'd do something for customers to pay in full up front. 😤
    11B1P likes this.
    11-13-2016 02:25 PM
    If you pay it off early, any remaining credit is forfeited.
    Meaning I would be responsible for the other $432?

I don't plan on leaving Verizon either, but there's no way I'll keep the same phone for 2 years. I barely make it 1 year lol.
    I'm not one to change phones just for the sake of it. I typically keep my phone a couple years or longer.
    11-13-2016 03:06 PM
    I wish for once they'd do something for customers to pay in full up front. 😤
    They've already got your money then. They could care less lol.
    Only on phones that are eligible for annual upgrade which, at this time, is only the iPhone.
    11-13-2016 04:58 PM
    Meaning I would be responsible for the other $432?

I'm not one to change phones just for the sake of it. I typically keep my phone a couple years or longer.
    Yeah you'd be responsible for the rest of the phone. Not necessarily 432 because each month that number will have decreased. Just however much is left for the balance of the phone.

And yeah, I love my tech. Keeping the same phone is boring to me. I enjoy the new features introduced plus then I usually have the latest software as well.
    11B1P and DarkJoker33 like this.
    11-13-2016 05:00 PM
    https://m.reddit.com/r/verizon/comme...tack_with_the/Per this thread, the $300 trade-in promotion on the V20 is "issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after receipt of trade at Verizon. Your smartphone purchase must remain active on device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop."

I know this was the way the $650 trade-in promotion worked when I preordered my wife's iphone 7 on Day 1, so I imagine the VZW rep you talked to was misinformed when you got your V20.
    The fine print for the offer I used didn't specifically state early payoff meant a loss of promo credits like in the link you posted, which is what prompted me to call them in the first place. So I'm guessing the terms changed, which sucks.
    11-13-2016 05:00 PM
    They've already got your money then. They could care less lol.

Only on phones that are eligible for annual upgrade which, at this time, is only the iPhone.
    They don't have my $ because I returned my n7. I'd like to give them my $ but I need some incentive. I cannot do dpp because I am still on $30 udp. You have to be on $50 udp to use dpp. Of course if I want to lose udp I could do it but a 16 gb plan would cost more than my current plan so I'd have to be nuts
    11-13-2016 05:02 PM
    Yeah you'd be responsible for the rest of the phone. Not necessarily 432 because each month that number will have decreased. Just however much is left for the balance of the phone.

And yeah, I love my tech. Keeping the same phone is boring to me. I enjoy the new features introduced plus then I usually have the latest software as well.
    Yeah, my wife had to break it down for me, lol.

Well, you don't always have to buy the newest phone to get the newest features on Android do you? I'm using a Nokia Lumia Icon that has gone Windows 8 > 8.1 > Windows 10. Can't you just upgrade the os?
    11-13-2016 05:25 PM

Well, you don't always have to buy the newest phone to get the newest features on Android do you? I'm using a Nokia Lumia Icon that has gone Windows 8 > 8.1 > Windows 10. Can't you just upgrade the os?
    The OS does get upgraded from time to time, but not indefinitely. 2-3 years worth is about what you can expect. Hardware features obviously can't be changed, so you have to get a different/newer phone to change that.
    11B1P likes this.
    11-13-2016 05:39 PM
    They don't have my $ because I returned my n7. I'd like to give them my $ but I need some incentive. I cannot do dpp because I am still on $30 udp. You have to be on $50 udp to use dpp. Of course if I want to lose udp I could do it but a 16 gb plan would cost more than my current plan so I'd have to be nuts
    Yeah I meant in general. If you're buying the phone full price, they don't really care about giving you promotions because they're getting your money all at once.

Yeah you can upgrade the OS, but oems give preferential treatment to their newest phones. So for instance, the S7E is going to get Nougat, but the S8 will likely have more features than the S7. Both software and hardware features. Also, when upgrades come out, the S8 will get them first and they'll EVENTUALLY make their way to the older phones. In the Android world, the last year's editions of phones are like red headed step children and the phones from two years before? Don't even get me started lol.
    11B1P likes this.
    11-13-2016 06:11 PM
    So, Pixel XL 128GB on VZW site tonight is $36.24/mo and $419.99 w/ 2yr contact. To make it simple, does their offer mean that if I lock myself into a 2yr contract and I pay $10/mo for 24 months ($240.00), I save $179.99 ($419.99 minus $240)?

Another question is this. Just based on prior years history, is it reasonable to expect a better deal around Christmas/New Year?
    11-13-2016 09:50 PM
    So, Pixel XL 128GB on VZW site tonight is $36.24/mo and $419.99 w/ 2yr contact. To make it simple, does their offer mean that if I lock myself into a 2yr contract and I pay $10/mo for 24 months ($240.00), I save $179.99 ($419.99 minus $240)?

Another question is this. Just based on prior years history, is it reasonable to expect a better deal around Christmas/New Year?
    The ad only mentions pixel not xl, so not sure if it would apply to XL. Though I would venture to guess that it would be a similar discount.

There is no service contract involved. On the pixel 32gb, it is$27.08/ mo. If you did this Deal then you would pay $27.08 but get a bill credit if$17.08 per month for 24 months. If you payoff early then credits stop. But if you keep paying then phone for 24 months then the credit will be$410 total over 2 years. Meaning that the phone would have cost you$240 over two years, instead of$650.
    11-13-2016 11:34 PM
    The ad only mentions pixel not xl, so not sure if it would apply to XL. Though I would venture to guess that it would be a similar discount.

There is no service contract involved. On the pixel 32gb, it is$27.08/ mo. If you did this Deal then you would pay $27.08 but get a bill credit if$17.08 per month for 24 months. If you payoff early then credits stop. But if you keep paying then phone for 24 months then the credit will be$410 total over 2 years. Meaning that the phone would have cost you$240 over two years, instead of$650.
    As far as the discount goes, this seems like a pretty good deal. But, say, if the same happens to apply to a more expensive XL 128GB, why would VZW allow one to pay the same amount of money for a more expensive phone? It's not logical. Right?
    11-13-2016 11:51 PM
    I went into a corporate store last night; they checked my account and I can do the 50% upgrade on my s7edge for a Pixel or V20.
    11-14-2016 09:00 AM
    I went into a corporate store last night; they checked my account and I can do the 50% upgrade on my s7edge for a Pixel or V20.
    That just means that you bought it before the Sledge's eligibility ended. It was in September or so. You wouldn't be able to upgrade from the Pixel or V20 at 50% though because they are not eligible for the annual upgrade plan. You can check the website. Also, if someone bought the S7E today, they wouldn't be able to do that. Trust me, I know. I was in the Note 7 recall so I couldn't get an S7 edge and be able to upgrade to the S8 so I ended up having to get a refurbished phone. The only exception to this is if you have some grandfathered plan that doesn't exist anymore that allows early upgrades.
    11-14-2016 09:05 AM
    Interesting promo, but for an individual (non family plan) not eligible for corporate discounts one is still probably better off with Prepaid. Prepaid = 3GB for $45 per month and the taxes and extra fees are less on PPD. 2GB Postpaid would be about $43 per month when one accounts extra fees and taxes ($60-$17).

So, I will probably just continue using my Droid Turbo 2 and wait for the S7 price to come down and/or probably an inevitable sale on a 128GB Pixel..
    11-14-2016 10:44 AM
    Interesting promo, but for an individual (non family plan) not eligible for corporate discounts one is still probably better off with Prepaid. Prepaid = 3GB for $45 per month and the taxes and extra fees are less on PPD. 2GB Postpaid would be about $43 per month when one accounts extra fees and taxes ($60-$17).

So, I will probably just continue using my Droid Turbo 2 and wait for the S7 price to come down and/or probably an inevitable sale on a 128GB Pixel..
    Yeah in your situation it doesn't make sense. But I get a corporate discount and also taxes and fees on postpaid for me is around $3-4. On prepaid it was around $8-9.

I am also on unlimited data so that's a completely different beast altogether
    11-14-2016 03:53 PM
    As far as the discount goes, this seems like a pretty good deal. But, say, if the same happens to apply to a more expensive XL 128GB, why would VZW allow one to pay the same amount of money for a more expensive phone? It's not logical. Right?
    My guess would be that the discount would be the same, meaning regul or xl or 128 would see a $410 discount. They just don't advertise it cuz$10/mo sounds better
    11-14-2016 03:56 PM
    My guess would be that the discount would be the same, meaning regul or xl or 128 would see a $410 discount. They just don't advertise it cuz$10/mo sounds better
    My guess is that the $10 month will only apply to the base model of each phone and that more expensive models (size and/or memory) will require a higher down payment, or final payment, o higher monthly payment. Otherwise, folks would just opt for the higher priced model.
    11-14-2016 04:33 PM
    They are always running promotions. My feeling is that I will wait to see what kind of deal they offer for the S8 when it comes out. It is so hard to find the right time to get a new phone. Because it seems like just when you do, something better is released.
    11-14-2016 08:08 PM
    A few years ago, around Christmas, I upgraded to two Samsung phones (one from Costco and another from BB) with a 2yr VZW contract for literally zero dollars. One of them had a Comcast Visa credit card offer that covered the entire amount. Where are the sales like that these days? Do they ever happen? Can they happen?
    11-15-2016 10:06 PM
69 123