S7, Pixel, and Z Droid to be $10/ mo on DPP for Black Friday

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's $10/mo payment, or $240 over 24 months. $240+$432=$672 which is full retail on the s7.

Ok, I'm lost, sorry. I've been looking at buying an S7 for $425 outright. I'm not on contract. If I wait til Black Friday and go to Vzw and upgrade my line to the S7 for $10/mn for 24 mnths, that's $240. What is this other $432?

I'm not planning on leaving Vzw, so does that factor into whether or not I buy an S7 outright or go thru Vzw for the $10/mn deal?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm lost, sorry. I've been looking at buying an S7 for $425 outright. I'm not on contract. If I wait til Black Friday and go to Vzw and upgrade my line to the S7 for $10/mn for 24 mnths, that's $240. What is this other $432?

I'm not planning on leaving Vzw, so does that factor into whether or not I buy an S7 outright or go thru Vzw for the $10/mn deal?

You pay the full$28/mo or whatever and anything over$10/mo is credited back to you each month. So long as you stay with Verizon and do not pay off the phone early then you will get the phone for$240 after two years. If you pay it off early, any remaining credit is forfeited.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you pay it off early, any remaining credit is forfeited.

This is the one part I'm questioning. I guess I'll have a better idea soon when I pay off my V20 which has the current $300 trade in offer. The Verizon rep I spoke to said once my trade in was inspected and approved to get the $300 trade in credit ($12.5/mo for 24 months), I could then pay off the phone but keep getting the credits if the line was still active the rest of the time. It was only forfeited if the line itself was cancelled.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This is the one part I'm questioning. I guess I'll have a better idea soon when I pay off my V20 which has the current $300 trade in offer. The Verizon rep I spoke to said once my trade in was inspected and approved to get the $300 trade in credit ($12.5/mo for 24 months), I could then pay off the phone but keep getting the credits if the line was still active the rest of the time. It was only forfeited if the line itself was cancelled.
This is different terms than the trade in from what I can tell. That's why I said you could lose out. I don't plan on leaving Verizon either, but there's no way I'll keep the same phone for 2 years. I barely make it 1 year lol. The only way you can upgrade to another device on DPP is if you've paid off your previous phone so I'd lose out in like 4 months.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone here wana maybe post a Link to this find? Or should we just go to Verizon website and find it ourselves...
It's not on Verizon website yet. This was from a leak. i was requested not to publicly post a picture of the actual ad.

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Except when the phone is paid off, your bill goes down.
That is true, since under the traditional model the price of the phone was built into the contract and the monthly service fee remained the same after the end of the contract.

However, I see @Ry's point, since the whole point of the traditional model was to keep people locked up long-term w/ a single carrier. These new DDP's, even with the benefit of "decreasing" bills once they are paid off, are accomplishing the same thing (especially when the promotions are broken out across the life of the plan).

It's a shame because, because consumers want no-contract plans because they ultimately lead to more choice, more competition and lower prices for plans and phones.

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
This is different terms than the trade in from what I can tell. That's why I said you could lose out. I don't plan on leaving Verizon either, but there's no way I'll keep the same phone for 2 years. I barely make it 1 year lol. The only way you can upgrade to another device on DPP is if you've paid off your previous phone so I'd lose out in like 4 months.
You can upgrade early on a DPP once you pay off at least half of the phone, but you have to surrender the phone and get no trade-in value (the trade-in value essentially covers the remaining balance of the DDP).

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
https://m.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/5addf5/current_trade_in_offers_these_stack_with_the/Per this thread, the $300 trade-in promotion on the V20 is "issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after receipt of trade at Verizon. Your smartphone purchase must remain active on device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop."

I know this was the way the $650 trade-in promotion worked when I preordered my wife's iphone 7 on Day 1, so I imagine the VZW rep you talked to was misinformed when you got your V20.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can upgrade early on a DPP once you pay off at least half of the phone, but you have to surrender the phone and get no trade-in value (the trade-in value essentially covers the remaining balance of the DDP).

This isn't an option for customers who sign up today.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I wish for once they'd do something for customers to pay in full up front. 😤
They've already got your money then. They could care less lol.
Only on phones that are eligible for annual upgrade which, at this time, is only the iPhone.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Meaning I would be responsible for the other $432?

I'm not one to change phones just for the sake of it. I typically keep my phone a couple years or longer.
Yeah you'd be responsible for the rest of the phone. Not necessarily 432 because each month that number will have decreased. Just however much is left for the balance of the phone.

And yeah, I love my tech. Keeping the same phone is boring to me. I enjoy the new features introduced plus then I usually have the latest software as well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
https://m.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/5addf5/current_trade_in_offers_these_stack_with_the/Per this thread, the $300 trade-in promotion on the V20 is "issued over 24 months and will appear in 2-3 bill cycles after receipt of trade at Verizon. Your smartphone purchase must remain active on device payment agreement for 24 months to receive credits. If you cancel service, or if device payment agreement is paid off or transferred, trade in promotional credits will stop."

I know this was the way the $650 trade-in promotion worked when I preordered my wife's iphone 7 on Day 1, so I imagine the VZW rep you talked to was misinformed when you got your V20.
The fine print for the offer I used didn't specifically state early payoff meant a loss of promo credits like in the link you posted, which is what prompted me to call them in the first place. So I'm guessing the terms changed, which sucks.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
They've already got your money then. They could care less lol.

Only on phones that are eligible for annual upgrade which, at this time, is only the iPhone.
They don't have my $ because I returned my n7. I'd like to give them my $ but I need some incentive. I cannot do dpp because I am still on $30 udp. You have to be on $50 udp to use dpp. Of course if I want to lose udp I could do it but a 16 gb plan would cost more than my current plan so I'd have to be nuts

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you'd be responsible for the rest of the phone. Not necessarily 432 because each month that number will have decreased. Just however much is left for the balance of the phone.

And yeah, I love my tech. Keeping the same phone is boring to me. I enjoy the new features introduced plus then I usually have the latest software as well.

Yeah, my wife had to break it down for me, lol.

Well, you don't always have to buy the newest phone to get the newest features on Android do you? I'm using a Nokia Lumia Icon that has gone Windows 8 > 8.1 > Windows 10. Can't you just upgrade the os?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Well, you don't always have to buy the newest phone to get the newest features on Android do you? I'm using a Nokia Lumia Icon that has gone Windows 8 > 8.1 > Windows 10. Can't you just upgrade the os?

The OS does get upgraded from time to time, but not indefinitely. 2-3 years worth is about what you can expect. Hardware features obviously can't be changed, so you have to get a different/newer phone to change that.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
They don't have my $ because I returned my n7. I'd like to give them my $ but I need some incentive. I cannot do dpp because I am still on $30 udp. You have to be on $50 udp to use dpp. Of course if I want to lose udp I could do it but a 16 gb plan would cost more than my current plan so I'd have to be nuts
Yeah I meant in general. If you're buying the phone full price, they don't really care about giving you promotions because they're getting your money all at once.

Yeah you can upgrade the OS, but oems give preferential treatment to their newest phones. So for instance, the S7E is going to get Nougat, but the S8 will likely have more features than the S7. Both software and hardware features. Also, when upgrades come out, the S8 will get them first and they'll EVENTUALLY make their way to the older phones. In the Android world, the last year's editions of phones are like red headed step children and the phones from two years before? Don't even get me started lol.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So, Pixel XL 128GB on VZW site tonight is $36.24/mo and $419.99 w/ 2yr contact. To make it simple, does their offer mean that if I lock myself into a 2yr contract and I pay $10/mo for 24 months ($240.00), I save $179.99 ($419.99 minus $240)?

Another question is this. Just based on prior years history, is it reasonable to expect a better deal around Christmas/New Year?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar