is it normal to be getting 80Mb/s down and 30Mb/s up speeds? (started only last week)

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
this is not a complaint or anything...

however, I'm confused by the speedtest.net results I've been getting since last week.

it's been better than 80Mb/s down and 30Mb/s up consistently on my new Verizon iPhone 7.

Prior to that, the best I usually get over the last couple of years have been around 30Mb/s(for both down and up).

Like I said, the speed increase suddenly started last week.. What did Verizon do to bump it up so much?

Attachments

• speedtest01.jpg
    speedtest01.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 62

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Maybe Verizon added a new tower where you are or tweaked the current one.

that's what I figured... but I can't get that kind of speed on my Verizon Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 5. The fastest I've seen on those phones are still around 30Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up. My new Verizon iPhone 7 is the only one that gets more than 80Mb/s... (when all 4 phones are on the same table) I called Verizon tech support and as usual, they were of no help.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
that's what I figured... but I can't get that kind of speed on my Verizon Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 5. The fastest I've seen on those phones are still around 30Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up. My new Verizon iPhone 7 is the only one that gets more than 80Mb/s... (when all 4 phones are on the same table) I called Verizon tech support and as usual, they were of no help.

You could be connecting to different bands or even tower or the iPhone could be doing carrier aggregation . Verizon won't do anything since you are still getting good speeds but you can research to see why it is happening.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen 80 speeds ever on any of my Verizon phones, and I live close to a tower and VZ actually repositioned the signal from the tower to my house and moved the bandwidth to the strong 700 from the 2100. I usually average 30/20.

Now on my wifi, very strong and flying fast. Two channels average 140 and two channels 800.

One main reason why I dropped my UDP and am dropping my data plan further.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
it's been more than 3 weeks since I started this thread. As of today, only my Verizon iPhone 7 is seeing this 80Mb/s...(just tested it a few minutes ago and got 82Mb/s)

However, none of my other Verizon phones can get even half that. (Verizon Galaxy Note 5, S7 edge, LG G4) Is there something inside the Verizon iPhone 7 that allows it to get such fast speeds? :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Probably something in the way it is set up... Apple might require certain settings or give priority to different bands or more likely to use carrier aggregation.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like LTE Advanced (or carrier aggregation) which is only supported on certain devices (along with a required software update to enable the feature). For more info see Verizon's FAQ here. The devices you've listed (ex. iPhone 7, Note 5, S7 Edge, LG G4) are supported so the only thing I can think is your iPhone 7 has the required software update that enables LTE Advanced while the other devices do not yet?

my Verizon Galaxy Note5, Verizon Galaxy S7 edge, and Verizon LG G4 all have the up-to-date software... but the Verizon iPhone 7 was only purchased back in November, so I'm not sure what's going on. I did test the display iPhone 7 and display Galaxy S7 at a local corporate store and got the same results and the manager couldn't tell me why the iPhone 7 was getting more than double the speed as the S7... (80+ Mb/s vs. 35 Mb/s)... figures... :)