Cost effective place to go to upgrade phones?

ITDEFX

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
Now that my wife and I have gotten our two accounts on the 5gb for 55-60ish with our employee discount, it is time to evaluate upgrading her phone since her contract ended last week making her eligible for DPP. :( I was looking at other carriers and wanted to see how much the DPP was for each carrier for the Iphone 7 and found it strange that each of them had different prices for the same model of Iphone (128gb). I also looked into the going back to best buy (since we have been going to them for upgrades since 2011) and their device payment agreement for 24 months brings it 200 dollars cheaper than retail vs paying full retail price.

I have about 180 dollars in reward certificates. In the past I could use the certificates to pay for the phone (this was before DPP) and just walk out paying around 40 dollars for the phone, screen protector and otterbox case.
With Verizon no longer allowing Best Buy to do 2 year contracts, can I use the BB certificates to put down 180 towards the device thereby making the DPP monthly payment cheaper?

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think Verizon allows for "down payments" on devices to lower the monthly payments. I know AT&T does, but am unsure on the other 3 carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think Verizon allows for "down payments" on devices to lower the monthly payments. I know AT&T does, but am unsure on the other 3 carriers.

In-store, Verizon allows down payments to lower monthly DPP. This can't be done online.

I'm not sure if Best Buy has the same capability.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
In-store, Verizon allows down payments to lower monthly DPP. This can't be done online.

I'm not sure if Best Buy has the same capability.

I was not aware of this, thanks for the info, that may help out a bit more when I go to possibly switch after the S8 is released.