Refurbished phone as replacement on dpp rip off

Redx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ranting here but it annoys me that Verizon charging me $600+ for a new phone and when it stops working they send me a refurbished phone. I should get another new phone or get a discount on my current phone. I'm in appliance repair business and when an appliance is under warranty we don't fix it with a refurbished part, or replace the unit with a "like new" appliance. If I paid for something new, it should be replaced with new.

Redx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
V10. Phone was turning screen on constantly all day on own. Nothing stopped it so vzw replaced it. Then a month later it shut down and wouldn't turn on

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the warranty terms of cell phones allow for a refurbished replacement. I know it sucks but if you buy a smartphone then that's the way it is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the warranty terms of cell phones allow for a refurbished replacement. I know it sucks but if you buy a smartphone then that's the way it is.

Are there any stores or vendors (in the US) that replace with new, without having to buy a separate warranty?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You can send your broken phone in to the manufacturer for it to be repaired. Then you keep the phone you bought with new parts that fixed the issue. You don't have to go thru Verizon, they offer the exchange for convenience, your free to go thru manufacturer also.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can send your broken phone in to the manufacturer for it to be repaired. Then you keep the phone you bought with new parts that fixed the issue. You don't have to go thru Verizon, they offer the exchange for convenience, your free to go thru manufacturer also.

Basically this.

I do sympathize with your frustrations though. Especially if it happens shortly after you bought the device. If you wanted a refurbished device, you would have purchased one for a lower cost. But as the poster above stated, you can always go through the manufacturer. The issue there is that while they'll fix it, you'll be without a device for a while as it's no where near as fast.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I call it refurbish roulette. Any time I have a problem, I have to decide if it's worth the hassle and risk of exchanging because the refurbs so often tend to have problems of their own.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes you can but most people don't want to be without a phone which is why Verizon offers the service. Also this process is discussed in the warranty brochure of every phone purchased in detail, and if you didn't agree to the terms then you should return it within the retuen period. Though all smartphones have this clause so you are pretty much stuck.

I get that it sucks but it is an industry standard practice, not one isolated to the specific carrier or manufacturer that the OP is complaining about

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are there any stores or vendors (in the US) that replace with new, without having to buy a separate warranty?

None that i know of. Though Apple refurbished directly through Apple are really cream of the crop. Many places like Verizon have very lax refurbished policies .

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
None that i know of. Though Apple refurbished directly through Apple are really cream of the crop. Many places like Verizon have very lax refurbished policies .

The best part about Apple refurbished products is you actually see it before you walk away with it. It would be great if you could do that with an Android device but that's impossible given how many there are and there is no Google Store to do this.

With that said, I've had my mixed bag with refurbished devices. I've had one Note 2 arrive broken out of the box (it could not receive a mobile signal at all), scratched bezels and speaker issues. But overall, given how many phones I've had, the experience wasn't horrible. I did get upset that I paid for a new device though when I could have done refurbished cheaper because it went that route anyways. Life goes on though, so long as it works and is like new.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My experience with Verizon's refurbished replacement via Asurion or their own one year warranty has been good. The refurbished phones, many are like brand new out of the box.

Some recent caveats... Verizon is getting TOUGH on replacing phones where you think the battery that's sealed is degrading. In the past, you just swapped in another battery. Now, you've got to request a replacement device.

THIS is where Verizon is holding the line and getting TOUGHER on warranty returns.

And if you get a warranty or replacement warranty phone, 99% of the time it will be refurbished.

VZ... is in control. 🙄

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't know any carrier or manufacturer that provides new phones as warranty replacements. Same goes for any other electronic device or even car. :)

The only exception is when the phone was only released recently. Back with my Note 5 was acting funny after just 2 months, Verizon shipped me a replacement. I received it 2 days later and it turned out to be a completely new Note 5, complete with all new accessories. Guess they just didn't have a refurbished or CLNR Note 5.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know any carrier or manufacturer that provides new phones as warranty replacements. Same goes for any other electronic device or even car.

This. All other carriers will give refurbs through their insurance programs.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I've bought several refurbs, usually from bestbuy and I've never had a problem with any of them. Even when I then sold them on swappa or ebay, never had a complaint or return.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've bought several refurbs, usually from bestbuy and I've never had a problem with any of them. Even when I then sold them on swappa or ebay, never had a complaint or return.

Best buy refurbished are top notch, much higher caliber than Verizon or asurion refurbished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz