03-20-2017 05:49 PM
37 12
tools
    Just received a call from Verizon trying to sell me on the new UDP and convince me to switch. I currently have 3 lines on the 700 unlimited talk, text plan with 2 smart phones and one dumb phone. Advised her we were happy with the plan and weren't interested in switching at this time. She then asked if I received a letter from Verizon saying they are switching folks to the new plan. Told her we would cross that bridge when we received the letter. Has anyone else on the old UDP received a call/letter from Verizon? I was part of the Note 7 mess so both lines are eligible for the upgrade but we went back to our S5 after we sent the phones back. The contract expires 8-14-2018 but technically we should no longer be under contract because the phones were sent back. I don't think they can force me change since I'm under contract still.
    02-23-2017 10:34 AM
    Good move. This new plan is progress for many, but a wolf on sheep's clothing for us OG UDP owners.
    02-23-2017 10:40 AM
    By the way no letter for me yet.
    02-23-2017 10:40 AM
    I will be on the lookout. They are up to no good.
    02-23-2017 10:50 AM
    They have been trying to push people off the legacy UDP for awhile now. They first started with people using a ton of data (500+) and recently lowered it to 200 GB. I assume they will keep lowering this amount until they force everyone off the legacy UDP.
    02-23-2017 11:20 AM
    IMO, the legacy unlimited data is coming to an end.
    Almeuit likes this.
    02-23-2017 06:20 PM
    I have UDP since 2011, and granted, I only use a few gigs of data a month since I tended to do more gaming on my phone vs youtube/netflix in downtime sessions, but still, if they say wanna give me 12 gigs a month for the same 30 bucks I'm spending for a UDP classic I might consider it.
    02-23-2017 06:49 PM
    What happened to the good old days when unlimited meant unlimited?
    luohan likes this.
    02-23-2017 07:09 PM
    What happened to the good old days when unlimited meant unlimited?
    Gone since LTE has gotten to be as fast if not faster than home internet.. and then people started using it as such so they had to stop it.
    02-23-2017 08:28 PM
    IMO, the legacy unlimited data is coming to an end.
    but my contract end date is November 2018... ?
    02-23-2017 11:39 PM
    Gone since LTE has gotten to be as fast if not faster than home internet.. and then people started using it as such so they had to stop it.
    my local cable company recently had a promo for 1gig internet for just $65/month, so I jumped on it.... will be a while before 4g or 5g can catch up to 1gig internet speed....
    02-23-2017 11:40 PM
    my local cable company recently had a promo for 1gig internet for just $65/month, so I jumped on it.... will be a while before 4g or 5g can catch up to 1gig internet speed....
    Yep. Around here 1 Gbps is 90 a month. I have TV and Internet so a little more expensive but not much. My average is...

huskers15 likes this.
    02-23-2017 11:42 PM
    but my contract end date is November 2018... ?
    More then likely you will be ok till then, but nothing is guaranteed. Verizon like you can break the contract, there would be no ETF if they did.
    02-24-2017 07:02 AM
    Yep. Around here 1 Gbps is 90 a month. I have TV and Internet so a little more expensive but not much. My average is...
    Now I'm sad... my download speed is also above 900Mbps, but I only get 50Mbps. (but I guess that's why they only charge $65/month for 1gig service)
    02-24-2017 11:31 AM
    Now I'm sad... my download speed is also above 900Mbps, but I only get 50Mbps. (but I guess that's why they only charge $65/month for 1gig service)
    You mean you only get 50 Mbps up?
    02-24-2017 11:34 AM
    That is a heck of a deal..
    02-24-2017 04:34 PM
    I expect that Verizon will give high data usage people maybe another year to switch to the new plan... It is likely that more disconnect letters will be sent out.
    02-24-2017 06:36 PM
    I have an old UDP plan but have not received a call or letter from VZW
    02-26-2017 05:20 PM
    Wondering about this myself, too. What do see Verizon doing? I have 3 lines on the grandfathered in UDP and 1 line with 2GB limit. I'm contemplating switching to the new UDP and adding a bunch of family members on the plan for a total of 8 lines that we can all split the bill, should save us all a bunch of money, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden catch if we give up our grandfathered UDP and switch to this new one. What do you think would be the down side?
    03-01-2017 05:24 PM
    Good move. This new plan is progress for many, but a wolf on sheep's clothing for us OG UDP owners.
    Wondering about this myself, too. What do see Verizon doing? I have 3 lines on the grandfathered in UDP and 1 line with 2GB limit. I'm contemplating switching to the new UDP and adding a bunch of family members on the plan for a total of 8 lines that we can all split the bill, should save us all a bunch of money, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden catch if we give up our grandfathered UDP and switch to this new one. What do you think would be the down side?
    03-01-2017 05:25 PM
    I see Verizon using this new plan (which has "data prioritization " after 22 gigs ...buzz word for throttle) as a way to step UDP to limited data sometime in the near future.

As for me, I wish they would treat me as the loyal customer I have been for 11 years instead of devising ways to sneak me off a plan I had the good sense to keep.
    03-01-2017 05:54 PM
    I always find comments like this interesting. Yes people used it. They paid for it. Who says what is too much? Why are these same comments not directed at prodigious texters or talkers ?

No beef. Just saying
    03-01-2017 05:57 PM
    I always find comments like this interesting. Yes people used it. They paid for it. Who says what is too much? Why are these same comments not directed at prodigious texters or talkers ?

No beef. Just saying
    Because texting rides on the network signal already going to your phone and voice barley taxes anything network wise.

Also how was I riding them? I simply stated a fact as to why it's changing.. they simply can't support everyone turning their hotspot into home internet so hence the changes.
    03-01-2017 06:04 PM
    I see Verizon using this new plan (which has "data prioritization " after 22 gigs ...buzz word for throttle) as a way to step UDP to limited data sometime in the near future.

As for me, I wish they would treat me as the loyal customer I have been for 11 years instead of devising ways to sneak me off a plan I had the good sense to keep.
    It's definitely still a throttle but they don't use the word because people will all think it's a cap when it isn't. I'm at 35 GB and still can stream stuff fine.. only if I hit congestion will I be throttled. That's the difference. People have been programmed by previous plans that throttle means once you hit it you're like that for the rest of the cycle.
    shortwave8669 likes this.
    03-01-2017 06:05 PM

Verizon can end any plan any time they want to, contracts don't matter, they like you can break the contract, customer gets to pay ETF if they break contract, carrier waives the ETF.

Verizon has let people hold onto the grandfathered unlimited data lines for a long time. Yes they have been trying to get us off them, but they never just shut them off, which they could have. Verizon has been pretty good about leaving people on the plans they signed up for. The new unlimited plans make sense for Verizon, it's limited high speed, they have the power to manage the towers capacity limits.
    03-01-2017 06:46 PM
37 12