Verizon allowing early upgrades

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I guess you're technically under contract. My guess is they've been experiencing mass defections. Are you allowed to pay off the device early with out penalty?

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I guess you're technically under contract. My guess is they've been experiencing mass defections. Are you allowed to pay off the device early with out penalty?

since my line now only shows DPP balance of $84 and nothing else, I don't see why there's anything preventing me from paying off the whole $84... but money is tight, so I'll just continue with the $3.50/month? rather save the $84 for food, water, and/or beers.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Hmm. If I could pay it off early, I'd jump on it.

it's not one of those DPP deals where the discount is actually account credit to be applied over 24 months...

the DPP agreement that I received in the email clearly stated that I only owe Verizon $84.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was not asked to choose a new plan. Best Buy's order summary showed keep existing plan.

My account is on the old 700-minute plan because line 1 is still under contract with UDP. Line 2(which I just used to do this Best Buy upgrade) is the same $30 2gb data plan. Nothing on my account changed, except that the 20-month contract has not been removed free of charge(no ETF, yay!), courtesy of Verizon and Best Buy.

has or has not been removed?

(is that line still under contract?)

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
There are no ETF on dpp despite what it says.

Yes, I realize that. :) Prior to yesterday, my line 2 had 20 months remaining on the 24-month contract(as a result of purchase a subsidized phone from Verizon), which comes with the usual ETF.

When I saw this Best Buy Verizon deal yesterday, I ordered the LG G5, which Best Buy had discounted to $5/month for 24 months of DPP, no strings attached.(unless Veizon's own DPP offers which are almost always monthly credits) With the Best Buy offer, my DPP agreement loan amount was just $120 total.(minus the required 30% deposit, which is $36, making DPP loan amount $84, or $3.50 per month for 24 months. This is also stipulated on the official DPP agreement letter that I received after the order was processed.

Today, my Verizon account no longer shows a contract on that line. I called Verizon and verified with a supervisor that the contract had indeed been removed and the DPP put in place. No ETF was charged because of the Best Buy Verizon offer.

So I basically paid $120 for a new LG G5 phone and got rid of my $350 ETF. IMO, that was a pretty sweet deal. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I realize that. :) Prior to yesterday, my line 2 had 20 months remaining on the 24-month contract(as a result of purchase a subsidized phone from Verizon), which comes with the usual ETF.

When I saw this Best Buy Verizon deal yesterday, I ordered the LG G5, which Best Buy had discounted to $5/month for 24 months of DPP, no strings attached.(unless Veizon's own DPP offers which are almost always monthly credits) With the Best Buy offer, my DPP agreement loan amount was just $120 total.(minus the required 30% deposit, which is $36, making DPP loan amount $84, or $3.50 per month for 24 months. This is also stipulated on the official DPP agreement letter that I received after the order was processed.

Today, my Verizon account no longer shows a contract on that line. I called Verizon and verified with a supervisor that the contract had indeed been removed and the DPP put in place. No ETF was charged because of the Best Buy Verizon offer.

So I basically paid $120 for a new LG G5 phone and got rid of my $350 ETF. IMO, that was a pretty sweet deal. :)

Awesome!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad this doesn't decrease the price of the line fee. I have a line that's $40 a month and would be better as only $20 a month. Oh well.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's too bad this doesn't decrease the price of the line fee. I have a line that's $40 a month and would be better as only $20 a month. Oh well.
I know. I was excited until I seen it doesn't decrease the like access fee. Should try it anyway, it is Verizon and there is a small chance the access fee will reduce right away.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I know. I was excited until I seen it doesn't decrease the like access fee. Should try it anyway, it is Verizon and there is a small chance the access fee will reduce right away.
Yeah that worked for one of my lines in the past. My primary is still under contract but I'm only paying 20 a month instead of 40 so it's possible.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
True. I am just saying -- Verizon isn't going to give someone a contract / subsidized phone and then let them off the hook :p.
It's happened for me in the past. So, they will. I pay 20 a month for my line that's under contract, not 40. So I was hoping that would be the case again.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
To credit me for the extra $20 charge for my grandfathered unlimited data lines under contract yet. I had 2 of them with 6 months left under contract.

I'll still get charged the $40 per line, she just gave me a one lump credit to cover the future charges.
Well darn. I just have up 3 UDP lines for nothing. Ugh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae