As the title says, I last upgraded using the best buy method almost 3 years ago. I used another line on the account that wasn't mine to do the upgrade. I received the phone without turning it on, removed the sim card, turned my old phone off, put the sim card in the new phone and then turned it on. I had no issues with keeping my udp.

I've been looking at the S8+, so my question is, will this method still work? Or as Verizon put the stop on this? And one more question, will I need to cut my sim card to get it to fit into the S8+?

Thanks
    04-21-2017 12:48 AM
    Best buy doesn't allow Verizon contract upgrades anymore so no. Some have had luck transferring the upgrade on Verizon's website. Ymmv.
    04-21-2017 12:27 PM
    Best buy doesn't allow Verizon contract upgrades anymore so no. Some have had luck transferring the upgrade on Verizon's website. Ymmv.
    So why wouldn't it work with the monthly payment upgrade? The process should still be the same regardless of whether or not you're extending the contract. You buy the upgrade on another line that isn't your's, take the sim card out before turning on the phone, and put your sim card from your old phone into your new phone. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I did the upgrade on my Dad's line. The Best Buy invoice says "Verizon keep current plan".
    04-21-2017 11:04 PM
    So why wouldn't it work with the monthly payment upgrade? The process should still be the same regardless of whether or not you're extending the contract. You buy the upgrade on another line that isn't your's, take the sim card out before turning on the phone, and put your sim card from your old phone into your new phone. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I did the upgrade on my Dad's line. The Best Buy invoice says "Verizon keep current plan".
    Oh if you are financing the full price of the phone over two years then it will work, as in $30/mo or whatever.

You just can't do subsidized phones, like the s8 for $200 or whatever.
    Nicholas Sgherzi likes this.
    04-22-2017 10:40 AM
    Oh if you are financing the full price of the phone over two years then it will work, as in $30/mo or whatever.

You just can't do subsidized phones, like the s8 for $200 or whatever.
    Okay thanks, that's what I thought.

One last question, regarding the sim card. My Note 4 took a micro sim card, but the S8+ takes a nano sim card.

What would be the best way of going about getting it to fit? I've herd you can trim it down yourself to a nano size, but I'm a little reluctant to do that. I thought going to a Verizon store and seeing if maybe they can transfer the information from my micro card to a nano sim card, is that possible?

Thanks
    04-23-2017 12:12 PM
    Okay thanks, that's what I thought.

One last question, regarding the sim card. My Note 4 took a micro sim card, but the S8+ takes a nano sim card.

What would be the best way of going about getting it to fit? I've herd you can trim it down yourself to a nano size, but I'm a little reluctant to do that. I thought going to a Verizon store and seeing if maybe they can transfer the information from my micro card to a nano sim card, is that possible?

Thanks
    A corporate Verizon store can do it but the s8 should come with a nano sim anyway.

Third party Verizon stores might charge you for the sim but Verizon corporate won't
    04-23-2017 12:23 PM
    I think the confusion here is that the Best Buy method uses the two-year contract option - which isn't available anymore.

Using another line's DPP works regardless since it's not a service contract.
    Nicholas Sgherzi likes this.
    04-23-2017 12:26 PM
    A corporate Verizon store can do it but the s8 should come with a nano sim anyway.

Third party Verizon stores might charge you for the sim but Verizon corporate won't
    It does come with a nano sim, but since I ordered the upgrade on my Dad's line, that sim card is associated with his number and all of his info. If I activated the S8 with the sim card it comes with, it would have my Dad's number and his phone plan on it and not mine.
    04-23-2017 11:19 PM
    It does come with a nano sim, but since I ordered the upgrade on my Dad's line, that sim card is associated with his number and all of his info. If I activated the S8 with the sim card it comes with, it would have my Dad's number and his phone plan on it and not mine.
    You can activate it on your dad's line first then activate your dad's old phone and old sim on his line, then activate the s8 on your line with the pre installed sim
    04-24-2017 07:53 AM
    You can activate it on your dad's line first then activate your dad's old phone and old sim on his line, then activate the s8 on your line with the pre installed sim
    That sounds like it could work, the only issue is that my dad still has an ancient flip phone that doesn't have a sim card.
    04-24-2017 12:30 PM
    That sounds like it could work, the only issue is that my dad still has an ancient flip phone that doesn't have a sim card.
    You can still activate flip phones. Either call them or do it online.
    04-24-2017 02:41 PM
    You can still activate flip phones. Either call them or do it online.
    If you get a smart phone on that line and put the ancient flip phone back on it, are you still required to have data on that line until the smart phone is paid off on that line. I know on the subsidized lines the data was required for the contact term, don't remember on the DPP. Might be something his dad don't know.
    05-06-2017 11:44 PM