Cutting down micro sim card to fit in S8+?

Nicholas Sgherzi

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
So I have a micro sim card from my Note 4 that I want to use with the S8+. The only problem is that it only takes a nano sim card.

I've heard that you can cut a micro sim card down to a nano sim card size, is this method advisable?

Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have done it before. Just buy a sim cutter. Worse case if you mess up you will need Verizon to give you a new sim

Nicholas Sgherzi

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
You can if it's done right

I have done it before. Just buy a sim cutter. Worse case if you mess up you will need Verizon to give you a new sim

Okay, so here's the deal. I used my Dad's upgrade on his line to get an S8+. I went to a corporate Verizon store earlier today to see if I can get a new sim card since my old one won't fit. The lady behind the counter immediately told me that they can't do that and that a sim card pretty much has no useful information on it.

I thought that was interesting as I was always under the impression that your phone number was tied to your sim card but maybe things have changed in the 3 years since I last upgraded?

She went on to tell me that my Dad would have to come into a Verizon store, deactivate his phone, then the new phone would have to be activated with his number, then his old phone would have to be re-activated, and then finally they can move my number and my current plan to the new phone.

Does any of that sound right? I never remember it being that complicated before. When I had an S3, all I did was pop the sim card out of it, and then when I received my Note 4 I popped it right in and everything worked fine. Now granted the sim card slot on both phone were the same size so it was interchangeable between both phones. But I can't understand why Verizon just can't port the information over from my micro sim card to a new nano sim card.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The process seems about right for a corporate store. That's the by the books method. They aren't allowed to just blank activate a sim card, it must be activated on a device.

Or you can just cut the sim and it will work.

Nicholas Sgherzi

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The process seems about right for a corporate store. That's the by the books method. They aren't allowed to just blank activate a sim card, it must be activated on a device.

Or you can just cut the sim and it will work.

So maybe I'd be better off going to a non corporate/retail store instead? I ordered a sim cutter from Amazon, I'll probably just wait for it.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I went to Verizon for nano Sim for my moto G5 Plus (yes sorry no S8 for my teenager) and not only did they Search the store and not call any other spots to perhaps locate one the tool a sim cutter they had and cut it from my kid's old phone sim so I can't use that old phone again as a backup

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to Verizon for nano Sim for my moto G5 Plus (yes sorry no S8 for my teenager) and not only did they Search the store and not call any other spots to perhaps locate one the tool a sim cutter they had and cut it from my kid's old phone sim so I can't use that old phone again as a backup

I am sorry i don't know what you are saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol