Using a T-Mobile phone on Verizon

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am considering moving to Verizon and wondering if I unlock my S8 and S8+ with T-Mobile I could use those phones. I know the networks are very different.

I did the Jump on Demand with T-Mobile and between the coverage and customer service I am not a happy camper.

The other thing is to pay them off and sell them and get Verizon phones.

Thank You

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe it would work with Verizon being that Verizon and Sprint have CDMA bands whereas T-Mobile, AT&T, StraightTalk, etc have GSM bands, so neither Verizon or Sprint could cross over to GSM and vice versa.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe it would work with Verizon being that Verizon and Sprint have CDMA bands whereas T-Mobile, AT&T, StraightTalk, etc have GSM bands, so neither Verizon or Sprint could cross over to GSM and vice versa.

That's outdated information to an extent. The iPhone and most Android phones sold globally have the radios for both now, my Verizon S7 functions just fine on Tmobile.

The best thing to do is check with Verizon to see if you can use your T-Mobile phone.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay my mistake, Verizon has a way to work with GSM but GSM cannot work with CDMA. I know this because I work with phones for a living and many people buy GSM unlocked devices thinking it would work with Verizon when it doesn't.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I went to the T-Mobile store and the lady there told me once the phones are paid for I can request an unlock code and use them on another carrier.

I then went to Verizon, he gentleman there said he wasn't sure so he put a Verizon sim card in and and gave the message the phone needs unlocked. He said get them unlocked and bring them in and try them see if both S8's work. If not I will sell them and buy Verizon phones.

I am happy with that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, The only T-Mobile branded phone that will work on Verizon is the iPhone.
If you insert a SIM it will connect up via LTE. It may not have CDMA so it won't be fully compatible but.. to say it won't work at all isn't right.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am considering moving to Verizon and wondering if I unlock my S8 and S8+ with T-Mobile I could use those phones. I know the networks are very different.

I did the Jump on Demand with T-Mobile and between the coverage and customer service I am not a happy camper.

The other thing is to pay them off and sell them and get Verizon phones.

Thank You

You would have to either flash the unlocked software or Verizon software for it to work on Verizon. Beware that incorrect flashing can brick the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you insert a SIM it will connect up via LTE. It may not have CDMA so it won't be fully compatible but.. to say it won't work at all isn't right.

It depends on the device and perhaps your account or whatever. I haven't tried a T-Mobile phone but the att lg g2 wouldn't activate with any service with a Verizon sim, even in a strong band 4 area ( i can get 100 + mbps on band 4 alone here). Same as other various unlocked phones excluding phones designed to work on Verizon like the Nexus, pixel, moto g4 and the like.

I have heard some where able to get limited service though... So it is possible

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the device and perhaps your account or whatever. I haven't tried a T-Mobile phone but the att lg g2 wouldn't activate with any service with a Verizon sim, even in a strong band 4 area ( i can get 100 + mbps on band 4 alone here). Same as other various unlocked phones excluding phones designed to work on Verizon like the Nexus, pixel, moto g4 and the like.

I have heard some where able to get limited service though... So it is possible
A LG G2.. come on. Obviously I mean relevant phones lol :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But i also tried more recent phones like the Honor 8, zenphone 2. No recent att or T-Mobile carrier phones
In theory it should work... And the op mentioned the S8. I could test this week at work with a buddies s8 if he has it unlocked if need be.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In theory it should work... And the op mentioned the S8. I could test this week at work with a buddies s8 if he has it unlocked if need be.

Verizon doesn't have to allow a device on its network unless it has band 13. And conspicuously, phones not designed to work on Verizon's network don't have band 13, at least from what i have seen.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay my mistake, Verizon has a way to work with GSM but GSM cannot work with CDMA. I know this because I work with phones for a living and many people buy GSM unlocked devices thinking it would work with Verizon when it doesn't.

Yes, CDMA wouldn't work for some phones. But you can use LTE only and a lot of phones have the CDMA radio in it as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34