Tech woes

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone else getting a little irritated at Big Red?! I know they have a lot out/up and coming already, but is anyone else getting sick of "subpar" offerings, or last year tech with no news about MODERN tech phones coming out, or am I just being too picky? I mean, they got rid of 1 year contracts. Not sure if that still applies to the primary line of a family plan getting an early upgrade or not, but even still.

I know I have high expectations when it comes to everything tech. I don't like buying into anything TOO outdated out of the box.. but, it seems like VZ went big for about two years getting the latest and greatest, then took a step back and said it doesn't make much of a difference anymore. I'm not seeing dual core, let alone a "decked out" dual core (high ram, large battery, large high res screen, 1080p video with HDMI out, LTE, SVDO etc etc). At this rate, we may see a high end dual core when Sprint, TMobile, and *gasp* AT&T have quad core release dates.

Am I missing something?! I have had an upgrade waiting around to toss this garbage D2 in the trash (warranty upgrade from d1) but no news of a high end dual core. *Sigh*.. Patience is a virtue, and I have none :-D

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
1. Annual upgrades are done (for primary lines as well) They did, however, lower the full retail price of their devices. It doesn't compensate for it entirely, but you can get the New incredible for just over 400 (compared to $600 for the first one).

2. They are working on Multi-Core phones, but they're also trying to pair it with a wholly new technology. Verizon's LTE rollout is the largest of it's kind in the world (by a big margin). This is causing delays in phone rollouts.

It sounds like the phone you're waiting on is the Targa (motorola) which is supposed to be everything you've listed, and it may take the name "Bionic" if that phone is canceled.

I'm frustrated with them myself, but I do also understand that what they're trying to do is difficult. Sprint's had 2 years to work out the kinks with Wimax, and ATT/Tmobile even longer with HSPA. Verizon's not going to make a flagship phone (with everything you want) and have it NOT work on LTE.

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not alone. I agree with you 100%. From my post on the T-Mo forum:

Hey so I have recently been thinking about jumping from VZW to T-Mo. I have never had a problem with VZW. What has me thinking about the switch is VZW getting rid of the 1 year contract. Them falling behind tech-wise. And the prices of, as far as I'm concerned, mid level phones (See: Droid Charge) being astronomical in price ($300 on 2yr).

I live in Milford, CT (HSPA+) and work in Fairfield, CT ("Good" T-Mo coverage according to coverage map). And as far as I'm concerned, I will have great coverage from any carrier in these areas so that doesn't really matter to me.

Also what I LOVE about T-Mobile is their commitment to Stock Android Devices (G2X, G2, Nexus 1 & S). Even though I will more than likely go with the Sensation if I go with T-Mo . And the fact that most big time International (GSM) phones will most likely release, in some form or another, on T-Mobile. VZW is more committed to bloatware, in my opinion (Inc2 has 58 pre-installed apps).

To me its makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER that T-Mobile can get the G2X that is as stock as you can get, and verizon gets damn-near the same phone (Revolution) that is heavily skinned. It just shows that Black Man X is right : The Death of “stock” or the beast keeps eating…

Last edited:

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the droid 3 though, it is at least rumored to be stock and if moto and verizon both agree to unlocked bootloaders it might just be easy to toy with too, just droid the og droid. Granted these are just rumors, but still, all hope hasn't been lost yet. Stock is still a unique android experience relative to the skins, thus verizon should get a couple stock phones sometime soon, one can only hope. Perhaps we should start a petition or make our voices heard somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac