Call logs and text on dead phone?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
My LG G4 just suffered the dreaded boot loop death :-(. My photos are all on my SD card, but don't know if I can ever get back call logs or textx without paying a data recovery place. Is it possible my call logs and texts got saved anywhere like Google Drive or onto the SD? Verizon rep said no, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get Google to show me my backups. I think I had the LG backup set to save something to my SD card, but don't know if it saves call logs or text messages.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I would check to see if you had automatic backups to Verizon Cloud. I know that many times, customers aren't even aware that there is such a thing and say they never have used it, but sure enough they have content backed up to it. During initial setup there is a part where you set up VZ Cloud and unless you consciously choose to skip it, then it will automatically back up things such as call logs and texts up to 90 days worth, plus contacts and other content. You can access the cloud online by signing in to your My Verizon account, going to Plan and Services and then Media and Contacts (I think that's what it's called...could be Cloud Media and Contacts). Worth a try.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Check Verizon cloud, it backs that up if it was enabled and set up.

I'd also set up Verizon messages, even if you aren't interested in using it on a regular basis, it allows you to send/receive texts from a PC or Tablet. It actually allows calls from some Android tablets. Would have given you a way to keep communicating while your phone was down.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I would check to see if you had automatic backups to Verizon Cloud. I know that many times, customers aren't even aware that there is such a thing and say they never have used it, but sure enough they have content backed up to it. During initial setup there is a part where you set up VZ Cloud and unless you consciously choose to skip it, then it will automatically back up things such as call logs and texts up to 90 days worth, plus contacts and other content. You can access the cloud online by signing in to your My Verizon account, going to Plan and Services and then Media and Contacts (I think that's what it's called...could be Cloud Media and Contacts). Worth a try.

I asked them, since I figured it should be there, but Verizon said they don't save text messages, only a list of who texts were exchanged with (privacy laws). Call history is also history. Only thing backed up was a few photos (which are on my SD card anyway). Last time I backed up using LG's backup was a year ago :(.

Luckily, all my texts and call history is not super crucial. I had some messages and photos I really wish I hadn't lost, but nothing work related or priceless photos. I will definitely make sure I am backing my call logs and text in the future! I assumed they would be available from Verizon, since they go through their network (and thought an auto backup would have caught them). Live and learn!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Check Verizon cloud, it backs that up if it was enabled and set up.

I'd also set up Verizon messages, even if you aren't interested in using it on a regular basis, it allows you to send/receive texts from a PC or Tablet. It actually allows calls from some Android tablets. Would have given you a way to keep communicating while your phone was down.

I've use it before, and it's kinds handy. I had a spare flip phone laying around that I've been hobbling along with, though it's far from fun to text with when you're used to a G4! I get my phone back Thursday, thank god;).

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I asked them, since I figured it should be there, but Verizon said they don't save text messages, only a list of who texts were exchanged with (privacy laws). Call history is also history. Only thing backed up was a few photos (which are on my SD card anyway). Last time I backed up using LG's backup was a year ago :(.

Luckily, all my texts and call history is not super crucial. I had some messages and photos I really wish I hadn't lost, but nothing work related or priceless photos. I will definitely make sure I am backing my call logs and text in the future! I assumed they would be available from Verizon, since they go through their network (and thought an auto backup would have caught them). Live and learn!

Verizon doesn't have access to text message content (except in a legal case and there's a court order), but the Cloud does back up text messages up to 90 days old, so restoring messages from VZ Cloud using your Messenger + app would bring those back.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have access to text message content (except in a legal case and there's a court order), but the Cloud does back up text messages up to 90 days old, so restoring messages from VZ Cloud using your Messenger + app would bring those back.

The only thing I could see on Verizon's website on my Cloud page were some photos and Contacts. I couldn't see call logs or text messages. Also, I have been using Textra, not the Verizon texting app. Is there a chance they are there somewhere than will pop up when I access the Cloud through my phone when I get it back?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Possibly. It would definitely worth a try.

Thank you! You were right, it worked :)! When it was restoring all the apps, I let it restore Messenger +, which loaded my old texts, back to March 2017...not the whole log, but better than nothing! I have been using Textra, so thought it might not work, but guess Textra just "re-packages" the texts that Messenger + logs somewhere. Never saw any backups for SMS Messages on Verizon Cloud website, but somehow it worked - very happy :).