Data very slow after SIM card change

wetherb67

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched to Verizon prepaid. I have two devices that I use. I find that if I switch devices, by moving the SIM card over that my data becomes extremely slow, and has to be corrected by Verizon.

I am wondering if there is a reason for this. Am I supposed to switch the device with my Verizon online first before switching the SIM card? Or is this just a fluke?

I don't want this to happen every time I switch devices. Any ideas are welcome on why this is happening.

(LG G3 and Galaxy Note 3.)

mjl574

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
When you switch SIM cards, the billing system still "sees" the SIM belongs in a different phone. Think of a SIM as an electronic key that gives you access to the network. When you call in, they're updating your phone's unique "address" (IMEI) in the billing system to match it with the SIM "key".

wetherb67

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
yes, i am familiar with IMEI's. i have since changed it online thru my verizon and had the same result. so for some reason it doesnt go thru right.

wetherb67

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it seems it is something going on at my work location. I have now confirmed this. I traveled back to my work location, and sitting in the parking lot in 2 different locations, i have very low data speed. Across the street approximately 500 ft, same situation. Move a little farther south, about 1000 feet, still slow. At approx. 1 mile, the data once again rises to normal, about 37 mbps. This has been confirmed three times over the last couple of days.

To absolutely confirm, i switched phones from my home location, and instantly had good speeds.

I am really confused about the cause of this. Wondering if it is a tower issue? Verizon has stated a couple of times they see no problems with the towers in the area. I'll check the current phone at work in the am and see how the signal is with it.

Screenshot_2017-07-20-21-45-51.png

Last edited:

wetherb67

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have now confirmed again with the other phone. Signal speed drops significantly in this area. This is also with outside testing, so nothing has changed within my office setting to affect my signal in any way. I will be happy to share the tower locations and test locations with any VZW personnel that can message me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12