Verizon to begin throttling video on all plans

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm upset. Now a flagship phone with a 1440p display can only show video in quality that is half as what the phone is capable of doing on their network.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a Grandfathered Unlimited Plan that works out to be just over $60 after my employee discount. This was after the $20 increase for being out of contract.

Considering it is still cheaper than most plans, I will keep it, but I wonder if any other changes are in the works.

I am also curious if video will be reduced if the sim is in a phone or jetpack and functioning solely as a hotspot for other devices.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This utterly sucks! It's the only reason I pay for unlimited plan! I have the grandfathered plan as well. Not fair at all. Like changing unlimited plan to 2 gb plan and I have received no notification from them. I'm pissed about this

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That sucks for sure, but I rarely watch anything above 480p anyway, and only rarely at 720p. I just don't see a noticeable increase in image quality on a phone screen at normal vowing distances. On a tablet or laptop, I can certainly understand having a higher resolution video.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I gotta ask..... What's the point of keeping UDP anymore? Just being able to go over 22gb each month?

I still have mine but having a hard time justifying keeping it.

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Not that I don't agree this sux, BUT, there is a logical reason why Verizon is doing this folks.
The simple truth is, their network simply can NOT handle everyone who has a Verizon unlimited data plan streaming HD video 24/7/365. Otherwise there would be no reason to do this and agitate so many unlimited data users

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Another play copied from T-Mobile.

Personally I don't care, I can't tell the difference in video quality on a little phone screen anyways. 480p looked fine on my S7 when I used T-Mobile, I don't hold it 3 inches from my face to PIXEL peep.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not that I don't agree this sux, BUT, there is a logical reason why Verizon is doing this folks.
The simple truth is, their network simply can NOT handle everyone who has a Verizon unlimited data plan streaming HD video 24/7/365. Otherwise there would be no reason to do this and agitate so many unlimited data users

You're right, but this is their mistake. So if they introduced throttling with a price decrease, that'd be one thing. Or if they did this only temporarily while they fix their network, that's another thing. This is something else entirely.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Ugh Verizon!!!!

I'm beyond livid. When I first signed up for the unlimited plan I was told that the throttling would be at 22 GB per line. The Verizon rep even said don't worry you won't even notice.
Right.
My hubby and I have had awful service.
And now I find out they are coming out with a different plan for 10 dollars more where its 22 GB a line...turns out the one we were on was 22 GB per account! Wait...that's not what they told me!!!! I'm so thinking of switching. They can kiss my GB.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Re: Ugh Verizon!!!!

Why do you in usa or canada even buy phone at providers when the phones are so cheap there ? I mene here at my place the g6 costs 850$ at store... Thats why we buy them at providers but you really don't have to.. I mean when my friend told me how much iphone costs in usa i was like what the f*** here the iphone 7 costs in store like 1200$

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ugh Verizon!!!!

Why do you in usa or canada even buy phone at providers when the phones are so cheap there ? I mene here at my place the g6 costs 850$ at store... Thats why we buy them at providers but you really don't have to.. I mean when my friend told me how much iphone costs in usa i was like what the f*** here the iphone 7 costs in store like 1200$
This really has nothing to do with where we buy the phone. You're going to be throttled regardless of where the phone was purchased.

Most of the crazy stuff that Verizon has done hasn't made me that mad, but this pisses me off. There's really no reason to have unlimited anymore that I can tell. They're not gonna let you use it the way you want anyway.

Ramon Castillo1

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Of course. This is from the company who said they didn't want heavy data users nor that their customers needed unlimited data, remember? Verizon did a clever marketing ploy releasing the "unlimited" with a data cap of 22GB. I saw this coming a mile away. They enticed customers, got them in a contract, and just like that they slowing took away the very thing they offer. It started slowing and then they constantly lied about people being throttled even though they didn't went over 22GB...oh we are just testing, no concern over here dear loyal customer. Yeah, okay. They will lose way more customers now, but like they say they don't want "those customers".

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on unlimited, have rollover data every month, but this is clearly to shake people out of unlimited plans while getting a handle on their network traffic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital