Verizon Dumping CDMA Finally

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
At my rural home I only have CDMA available on my phone. I guess I'll be going back 20 years with no service or drive a couple of miles closer to town to call somebody.
What phone are you using? All phones made in the past six years or so have LTE. Even flip phones.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
What phone are you using? All phones made in the past six years or so have LTE. Even flip phones.
I have a nexus 6p and my phone has lte but lte is not strong enough at my residence so the phone switches to cdma. If they shut down the cdma signal then I won't have any service.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The fastest internet available for me is 10 mb/.89 mb dsl. Their network extender requires 5 mb upload so it won't work for me. It doesn't make sense that they require internet speed that isn't available in a rural area to make up for their poor signal.
Are you eligible for Verizon fiber?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If I could get fiber, I would obviously be close to a tower and get an lte signal. Only thing I can get is 10 mb dsl.
The placement of cell towers doesn't have anything to do with fiber cable placement. It's more about cell coverage.

I don't think Verizon is going to leave potentially tens of thousands of customers without service. Much of the dismantling of the CDMA network is upgrading towers to LTE.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Which ends up saving Verizon Wireless money as they no longer have to provide actual service to the customer or the actual wireless pipe. In this case, it is now using the capacity of the Internet connection the customer is paying for which means they won't get to use the Internet 100% for the other things and if their connection has a cap, then the wireless connection will make reaching that cap faster.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Which ends up saving Verizon Wireless money as they no longer have to provide actual service to the customer or the actual wireless pipe. In this case, it is now using the capacity of the Internet connection the customer is paying for which means they won't get to use the Internet 100% for the other things and if their connection has a cap, then the wireless connection will make reaching that cap faster.
Many carriers offer these things. Obviously if this isn't good for the person then the best solution is to move to another carrier.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Many carriers offer these things. Obviously if this isn't good for the person then the best solution is to move to another carrier.

That part I know, I am just saying that you are still charged the same except basically the phone is now using the customers own internet which they are not paying any part of to transport the service instead of the service going through the normal cellsites to their network so they save money but they still charge you the same for providing less. One might as well just use Google Voice from home instead and just enable call forwarding to the Google Voice number.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I suppose I'll have to resort to buying my next phone from Verizon instead of an unlocked phone to get wifi calling. LTE signal is very poor at my residence and I doubt it will get any better. My phone uses CDMA now. Their Extender won't work for me since it needs faster internet than I can get. It seems strange that they would offer a device that requires 5 mb upload for rural customers that have limited signal. Most of these same rural customers have no options for that type of internet service.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the extender requires 5MBps in upload as not many people have 5Mbps for upload, everyone has fast downloads.

jfd3

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It sucks that even after dropping CDMA we Verizon customers won't be able to bring our own unlocked phone to use. We are still going to be tied down to a subset of available phones at the prices big Red wants to charge with no real alternative, other than leaving.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the extender requires 5MBps in upload as not many people have 5Mbps for upload, everyone has fast downloads.
I'd be willing to try it. I once had a Sprint mini tower due to a coverage issue with a 1.5Mb down/512k up DSL service and it worked fine. The 5Mb upload requirement might be to get full LTE functionality like HD calling.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The following statement is on Verizon's website.

What type of internet connection do I need for the 4G LTE Network Extender?

The 4G LTE Network Extender works with connections that provide a minimum broadband speed of 10 Mbps downlink and 5 Mbps uplink. However, a broadband connection of 20 Mbps downlink or 10 Mbps uplink or higher is recommended.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I suppose I'll have to resort to buying my next phone from Verizon instead of an unlocked phone to get wifi calling. LTE signal is very poor at my residence and I doubt it will get any better. My phone uses CDMA now.

I'd be surprised if the Verizon provided phone will do any better than what you can get on your own. Unless you are saying that you can get WiFi calling only with a Verizon phone.

Is Verizon your only viable choice?

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
It sucks that even after dropping CDMA we Verizon customers won't be able to bring our own unlocked phone to use. We are still going to be tied down to a subset of available phones at the prices big Red wants to charge with no real alternative, other than leaving.

I thought you can bring the unlocked non-carrier branded phones like the Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, Note8 or the iPhones.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Verizon disables wifi calling on phones unless they are purchased from them or is a certified verizon phone. You can use an unlocked phone with VZW as I do, but wifi calling will not work.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I thought the no carrier phones from Samsung was supposed to have all the features since on Samsung phones, all you have to do is flash the CSC for Verizon and it will work as the phones are all the same hardware wise for the carrier models, only the CSC is different which will enable the wifi calling. AT&T's WiFi calling is more tricky.