Something that most of us probably already knew.

"The extensive testing also explains why software updates, including Android OS updates, may take longer to appear on Verizon devices than on other carriers."

Not a true statement. To date, Verizon has been a head of the pack when it comes to pushing out updates.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357370/ve...ma-free-future

I do understand why Verizon is reluctant to not allow just any phone on its network.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    11-15-2017 03:22 PM
    Interesting article. Thanks
    11-15-2017 05:01 PM
    Something that most of us probably already knew.

"The extensive testing also explains why software updates, including Android OS updates, may take longer to appear on Verizon devices than on other carriers."

Not a true statement. To date, Verizon has been a head of the pack when it comes to pushing out updates.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357370/ve...ma-free-future

I do understand why Verizon is reluctant to not allow just any phone on its network.
    Yeah we all knew it was coming. They don't want to stay on super old tech. That's why they've been pushing LTE and got VoLTE up and running.
    11-15-2017 08:40 PM
    go go 5g!
    11-15-2017 08:48 PM
    Evidently, 5G (or whatever Verizon calls it) is already available, we're just waiting on devices that can take advantage of it.
    11-15-2017 09:19 PM
    not a care in the world... what good is having high speed data when it just means you reach your stupidly low (soft/hard) cap that much faster?
    11-15-2017 11:35 PM
    not a care in the world... what good is having high speed data when it just means you reach your stupidly low (soft/hard) cap that much faster?
    Welcome to the world of internet plans ! :P.

Some make sense.. T-Mobile gives 50 GB before de-prioritization but others not so much.

It's like my home ISP ... Comcast has a 1 TB cap for most. Even on their fiber. I have AT&T and if you get their fiber (Gbps) speed they give you Unlimited data for free. Which is how it should be.

Just have to go with who works for you. If the soft cap doesn't work for you.. swap!
    11-16-2017 12:33 AM
    let's see if consumers have these continued limitations on what devices can be used on their Network.
    11-16-2017 04:36 AM
    I had a 3GB/mo plan, but Verizon sold me on a 5GB/mo plan. I asked about getting deprioritized, but their explanation of when it does happens made it seem like it would be infrequent for me. I haven't noticed much change, but there's no way of knowing if they weren't already throttling me down before anyways.
    11-16-2017 08:44 AM
    Depends on what you do I guess. I've never once hit my limit in the last 2 years (6GB). I play a few games, go on Facebook now and then, but my online activity is mostly chat and forums. I don't watch high res videos on my phone. I don't see the point since my eyesight isn't good enough to see a huge improvement on a 5.5inch screen when you go beyond 720p.
    11-16-2017 08:56 AM
    Depends on what you do I guess. I've never once hit my limit in the last 2 years (6GB). I play a few games, go on Facebook now and then, but my online activity is mostly chat and forums. I don't watch high res videos on my phone. I don't see the point since my eyesight isn't good enough to see a huge improvement on a 5.5inch screen when you go beyond 720p.
    Dang 6 GB I couldn't live on that haha. Today is the last day of my cycle and I'm at 65 GB.
    11-16-2017 03:33 PM
    I had a 3GB/mo plan, but Verizon sold me on a 5GB/mo plan. I asked about getting deprioritized, but their explanation of when it does happens made it seem like it would be infrequent for me. I haven't noticed much change, but there's no way of knowing if they weren't already throttling me down before anyways.
    On a tiered plan de-prioritization isn't a concern for you since it doesn't apply to your plan.
    benjamminh likes this.
    11-16-2017 03:34 PM
    Caps were put into place, not just for profit margin reasons, but because there is a finite amount of capacity that each telecom can handle. If telecoms didn't employ data caps, a small amount of high use customers could slow down the entire network for everybody. T-Mobile for example has a LOT less customers than Verizon, but it has a fairly high capacity potential. Therefore it can offer higher caps without affecting its network. As telecoms upgrade their networks, they upgrade capacity and you will see caps being lifted or removed.

Especially, when we break the 1Gbps barrier where customers are getting 1Gbps or better speeds in real world use.
    11-16-2017 07:55 PM
    let's see if consumers have these continued limitations on what devices can be used on their Network.
    I'm not sure, if it will be as big of a deal as people think. It will depend on how widespread the device is being sold. The HTC U11 is already being used by people on Verizon's network, because it is a fairly popular device. The Essential Phone? Probably not so much, because it isn't as widespread as the U11.

Devices made by the big OEMs like Samsung, LG, Apple, etc. probably won't be an issue. Devices made my much smaller niche type OEMs, will probably be more problematic.
    11-16-2017 08:03 PM
    Dang 6 GB I couldn't live on that haha. Today is the last day of my cycle and I'm at 65 GB.
    I'm near wifi all the time. And I have all my spotify songs offline. Heck I don't know how you use 65GB. I don't even hit 50GB on my home. WiFi with 2 laptops, 2 phones and a tablet.
    11-16-2017 08:07 PM
    I'm near wifi all the time. And I have all my spotify songs offline. Heck I don't know how you use 65GB. I don't even hit 50GB on my home. WiFi with 2 laptops, 2 phones and a tablet.
    Dang lol. This month .. around 65-67 GB on mobile. 800+ GB On home internet :P.

I am very media heavy.
    11-16-2017 10:18 PM
    Evidently, 5G (or whatever Verizon calls it) is already available, we're just waiting on devices that can take advantage of it.
    Problem with 5G phones, the new unlimited plans Verizon have now are 4G plans. I'm a little nervous what's going to happen when 5G is rolled out nationally.
    11-16-2017 10:48 PM
    Problem with 5G phones, the new unlimited plans Verizon have now are 4G plans. I'm a little nervous what's going to happen when 5G is rolled out nationally.
    According to the article I posted, "Verizon execs also rejected T-Mobile's claims that it's behind the times on "gigabit LTE." Gigabit LTE, as promoted by Qualcomm and T-Mobile, is a combination of 3-carrier aggregation, 256 QAM encoding, and 4x4 MIMO antennas that can achieve 979Mbps down in very specific circumstances. AT&T calls it "5G Evolution."

Ehrlich confirmed that Verizon has these technologies in every one of its markets nationwide. In Verizon's lab, we saw gigabit LTE running on Moto Z2, LG V30, and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phones, using two 20MHz Band 4 carriers and one Band 2 carrier."

The capability is already there. There are only a few devices that can take advantage of gigabit LTE though.

I'm predicting that caps will be raised or eliminated.
    11-16-2017 11:03 PM
    Yeah I'll wait and see. As I said previously some area very unrealistic with caps and others live in reality.
    11-17-2017 01:43 AM