Future for Verizon

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
So I'm curious - what does the future hold for Verizon when it comes to capacity? Are they pretty much maxed out at this point, or do they have more to deploy?

I've had a ton of speed issues with them over the last year in multiple states - each time they tell me it is congestion in the area and nothing they can do. I got the $15 off text if I move to unlimited last week, but as we know the basic unlimited plan can be throttled at any time with even slight usage. When I asked them if that means the unlimited plan would be useless to me, they basically said I shouldn't consider it.

Tmobile seems to continually be growing their network - so it made me wonder - can Verizon grow, or are they done?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile seems to continually be growing their network - so it made me wonder - can Verizon grow, or are they done?

Verizon has more to do. I know T-Mobile does a lot of PR acting as if they're the only ones working on their network but.. it isn't true. It never was. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all working on their network and working to ensure they have stuff for the future. T-Mobile is just the most.. you could say "vocal" about it.

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Fair point.

At a high level, what does Verizon have, and have they announced any plans? I'm not talking about 5G stuff, I am talking about improving the current LTE networks that are in production use today.

My perception of Verizon is that they are done with any major deployments, have no large chunks of unused spectrum, and therefore how it is today is roughly how it will be until 5G comes along.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fair point.

At a high level, what does Verizon have, and have they announced any plans? I'm not talking about 5G stuff, I am talking about improving the current LTE networks that are in production use today.

My perception of Verizon is that they are done with any major deployments, have no large chunks of unused spectrum, and therefore how it is today is roughly how it will be until 5G comes along.

They plan to shut down CDMA eventually and re-frame it for more spectrum. As for now they are most likely built out coverage wise but they can still work to increase capacity. They just did this in the past with "XLTE" which they now called "Verizon LTE Advanced" which increased speeds in places that needed it such as NY. NY was awful and now people on Reddit have shown 100+ Mbps there.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They definitely have more to do. They have the best coverage in general, but I moved earlier this year and my entire neighborhood has crap coverage. Middle of Green Bay, within walking distance of Lambeau field, and only 1 bar 4G outside. I regularly see 1x inside my house, and occasionally go into roaming. Wouldn't be so bad if my V20 would default to Wi-Fi for calling. As it is, my phone will not use Wi-Fi calling if there's a fraction of Verizon cellular signal, even if it isn't strong enough to hold a call.

Verizon has more to do. I know T-Mobile does a lot of PR acting as if they're the only ones working on their network but.. it isn't true. It never was. AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all working on their network and working to ensure they have stuff for the future. T-Mobile is just the most.. you could say "vocal" about it.

Gotta love PR sometimes. You could have crap coverage, double it but still be crap and way behind everyone else, and market it as a good thing because you're "the fastest growing coverage." Lol

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
They definitely have more to do. They have the best coverage in general, but I moved earlier this year and my entire neighborhood has crap coverage. Middle of Green Bay, within walking distance of Lambeau field, and only 1 bar 4G outside. I regularly see 1x inside my house, and occasionally go into roaming. Wouldn't be so bad if my V20 would default to Wi-Fi for calling. As it is, my phone will not use Wi-Fi calling if there's a fraction of Verizon cellular signal, even if it isn't strong enough to hold a call.

Gotta love PR sometimes. You could have crap coverage, double it but still be crap and way behind everyone else, and market it as a good thing because you're "the fastest growing coverage." Lol
That sounds like the coverage I have. This was last year but I took screen shots over a couple days each time signal would drop down. I used an app called Signal Check Lite from the app store. I saved them up and called verizon to complain. I don't remember how many times I had to call. Either I got the right person or they got tired of me complaining but I got a "really good deal" on a 4g network extender. My signal in and around house went from 1 bar, about -120 to -125, to an average of -75 and full 5 bars.

Can't hurt to try!!!

Maybe point out t-mobile gives them to people with a one time 25.00 deposit?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac