Moved to Verizon from T-Mobile

matterOfSplat

May 22, 2018
Visit site
I switched from T-mobile to Sprint to Verizon and back to T-mobile.

Sprint was definitely my biggest regret.

Verizon had good service, but billing wasn’t always straightforward particularly when you changed plans, added a line or upgraded a phone. Verizon always was very time consuming just to upgrade a phone. Verizon had expensive data packages and we where adding our son to the plan so T-mobile’s unlimited plan and buyout promo encouraged us to switch carriers.

I prefer GSM networks for the ease of adding a phone and T-mobile makes it very easy to make changes to your account and billing statements are clear. T-mobile’s customer service is very fast and 99% the agent is extremely knowledgeable. I have only had one instance of an agent not able to make account changes due to their lack of knowledge and calling back to speak with a new agent quickly resolved the confusion. T-mobile’s value adding is nice and the service has been great (though rural trips away from towns the service becomes spotty).

Overall I am happy with T-Mobile and their customer-centric business model coupled with fast internet speeds has kept our business.

rday76

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I have made the switch both ways from each carrier. Started with and had my very first phone with Verizon for a few years until after college. Switched to T-Mobile right before all the UnCarrier initiatives began and overall was a great experience, especially with T-Mo corporate being right in my backyard. Then came a move to a more rural part of the state and bye went T-Mobile. Overall Verizon costs us a tad more, but it is literally the only carrier that works where I live so you cant dog them for costing more. Enjoyed both for what they're good at.

rday76

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
i have experienced great customer service with T-Mobile, only gripe with VZW customer service is it seems they have a scripted set of hoops you have to jump through to get any sort of resolution

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i have experienced great customer service with T-Mobile, only gripe with VZW customer service is it seems they have a scripted set of hoops you have to jump through to get any sort of resolution

That is exactly how I feel about T-Mobile lol. If I didn't do anything and left it alone bill went ok. I go to do a "deal" or something and I had to jump through hoops and contact them 10x to get the bill corrected / fixed.

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You made a wise move. Verizon has the best coverage in more areas, across the country, then any other carrier.

It really depends on usage. I spend 95% of my time in my home area, a large metro. Would it be a wise move for me to pay 30% more each month for an additional 5-10% coverage during the 1% of the time that I'm travelling somewhere rural enough for it to matter?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was with Verizon about 5 years. switched to T-Mobile 2 years ago and it has been great! I haven't noticed any change in coverage to be honest. But the plan i was on is cheaper on TMO.
Plus I have Jump on Demand (JOD) which lets me switch phone once a month if i choose too.
That alone will keep me on T-Mobile. This way I get to try out all the new phones when they come out. Looking ofrward to jumping to the Note 9 in July or August.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Had verizon back in the early days of android, Samsung Fascinate and Droid X2 days. It got expensive so I spent about 6 years on sprint with another family member which saved us all money. Hated sprint most days but couldn't afford to leave. Moved last year and sprint didn't work at the new house so had to switch. Verizon was significantly more per month so I went to T-Mobile. I've not really had any issues. I have good solid service 99% of the places I go, I have all the data I can eat and their customer support has been great. Plus I can use jump for switching phones when I want or buy unlocked and go cheap.

That all said, I have Charter for home internet and they are supposed to be launching their own wireless service running on Verizon's network soon, if I can save some money I may jump on it, we'll see, I think it'll be another month yet at least.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was with Verizon about 5 years. switched to T-Mobile 2 years ago and it has been great! I haven't noticed any change in coverage to be honest. But the plan i was on is cheaper on TMO.
Plus I have Jump on Demand (JOD) which lets me switch phone once a month if i choose too.
That alone will keep me on T-Mobile. This way I get to try out all the new phones when they come out. Looking ofrward to jumping to the Note 9 in July or August.

I've got jump to, I'm thinking about dropping it because the selection is really limited. You have your choice of Samsung or LG and that's about it and I don't do iPhone's.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on usage. I spend 95% of my time in my home area, a large metro. Would it be a wise move for me to pay 30% more each month for an additional 5-10% coverage during the 1% of the time that I'm travelling somewhere rural enough for it to matter?

He just said they have better coverage -- not that everyone should swap. Anything in life is based on usage / personal needs.

For you it is 30% more each month ... For me Verizon is actually almost $20 less a month for me versus T-Mobile. It will vary from person to person / situation to situation.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't notice better coverage honestly but it's been decent

Well if you had good signal w/ T-Mobile before and you are getting good Signal w/ Verizon now you won't see much of a difference since it would essentially feel the same.

Andyland

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was on Verizon but loved John Legere and T-Mobile as a company so made the switch to T-Mo. I was happy at first then decided to spend some time traveling the country with a friend in an RV. My friend had Verizon and I had T-Mo well I soon realized how Verizon network was superior. Most of the time we were driving I had "No Service" while my friend's phone had full service and LTE. There were times I had phone service but no internet. The few times that we were close to bigger towns or city's I would again see LTE but as soon as we passed the town my service ended. I realized that despite the fact I don't like Verizon's corporate greed or political donations, their service is the best. I now switched back to Verizon. I also have to add that along the way we ran into other travelers with AT&T and they seemed to have good service as well but they are another Corporate company I don't agree with. Now that T-Mo and Sprint are merging and under John Legere as CEO I may make the switch again when the merger is finalized and see what their coverage is like. Fingers crossed!

Zachary Watson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Been with T-Mobile for 10 years had the Sidekick 3 all the way to my S8+ now. I lived in rural Arkansas for 3 years and until the last year i was there I had the absolute worst coverage but I knew going in that was the case. Verizon was outrageous for an unlimited plan and even though I was tethered to WiFi I still stuck with T-Mo. Towards the last year of my time in AR I finally got okay 4G at best but I saw it as T-Mobile was actually trying to expand and thought that was great.

My SO has ATT and our drive to Vegas I had pretty dang good service the entire way while she was constantly met with the Searching for Service. So T-Mobile is definitely better on that drive at least compared to ATT. The 3rd party coverage map would also agree though T-Mo is one of the best for that route.

On a fairly recent trip to the Grand Canyon which has it's rural Mountain drive moments I had passengers with ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and my T-Mobile. I was able to stream music the entire way without a hiccup and was only searching for signal during the most mountainess portions of the drive.... But so were my passengers who all seemed to have more dropped coverage than even me. So I think T-Mo won that trip too.

All in all I think TMobile in recent times has really come a long way with their coverage and honestly if you live in a major city like I do now all carriers really cover you pretty good. Even in places where 4 years ago my coverage suffered I now have no problem now. Rural Flagstaff where I once could barely send texts I can now stream videos. So I will welcome the Sprint merger with open arms and hopefully the sharing of different bands and spectrums (or whatever) really takes TMobile over the top. Because as a happy customer and huge fan of John Legere I want to stick with the UN-CARRIER.

nmangiafesto86

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I recently switched from Verizon to TMobile. So far the coverage in my area is much better than Verizon was. the speed are so much faster as well. I am paying almost $20 less than I was with Verizon. I was with VZW for almost 18 years and had an incident with the that was the last straw, switched and I hope to never look back. Plus, they give the ability to upgrade every year for Samsung which Verizon took away. It just seems TMobile is all about the customers and Verizon I all about the customer's wallets...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As an ex-dealer, I've had them all (back when Nextel and Sprint were different companies, and what's now AT&T was Cingular). Where I am now, Verizon has about the best coverage, but T-Mobile just lacks signal strength in a few spots. AT&T is missing a huge chunk (of people who are mainly on the free government plan, so it wouldn't pay for them to build their coverage out). And, since I don't use much mobile data any more, I went with Mint's 2GB/month plan for $15. You can't beat that. So there's no place I go that I don't have coverage and I don't pay much.

(And it sure beats selling 5 different carriers - which meant carrying 5 phones on my belt. And, even though it came out while I was in the business, nothing like the Sidekick - 5 phones that large would need a 60" waistline.)

Dylan Bacon

May 22, 2018
Visit site

I agree! I started with T-Mobile after doing extensive research into cellular plans and the coverage map associated with them, and T-Mobile allows prepaid (Verizon doesn't) and prepaid customers get the same coverage (sometimes better) than regular store-visiting customers. On top of that, I was able to get an awesome phone at a cheap price (cheaper than comparisons at Verizon or Boost) and my data speeds have always been awesome, even when I run out of 4G. I always have at least 3 bars, which is something I know a lot of Verizon customers can't argue with. In fact, my plan is cheaper than Verizon plans and I have unlimited! T- Mobile is the way to go.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious how cheap is it?
I agree! I started with T-Mobile after doing extensive research into cellular plans and the coverage map associated with them, and T-Mobile allows prepaid (Verizon doesn't) and prepaid customers get the same coverage (sometimes better) than regular store-visiting customers. On top of that, I was able to get an awesome phone at a cheap price (cheaper than comparisons at Verizon or Boost) and my data speeds have always been awesome, even when I run out of 4G. I always have at least 3 bars, which is something I know a lot of Verizon customers can't argue with. In fact, my plan is cheaper than Verizon plans and I have unlimited! T- Mobile is the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki