how can i get out of my verizon contract?

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
this contract doesnt expire until summer of next year.

for me the smartphone is a waste of money, and throwing away 1,000 a year on something i dont need makes no sense to me.

i fell for the beautiful screen and having the newest and greatest thing.

the truth is, its a waste of money for me.

how can i get out of the contract without paying the termination fee. thanks.

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Find a close friend or relative willing to pay the bills and take your phone? Probably not what you were looking for but that's all I can give you.

Bengalfan1

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You could probably drop the data charges and switch to a regular cell phone or an old cell phone if you have one and then switch to the lowest amount of minutes. You will probably have to buy the regular cell phone at off-contract pricing.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
You can either of the following:

Suck it up and pay the ETF since in this case, it's buyer's remorse and there's really little to no options here other than that, and then just sell your phone

Buy a cheap, regular phone or a BB and change to the cheaper data plan

Or sell off your contract to someone. I forgot the name of the site, but it essentially allows you to transfer contracts to someone, though I don't know how it works since I've never used it before

I've been saying this for the longest - if you try and follow the trend of having the latest and greatest phone, then you'll never be happy

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I would say find the cheapest phone you can on ebay, craigslist, or your local classifieds, and get your monthly bill down. Then try to flip your smart phone for as much as you can get. That should make it more bearable on the wallet to wait out the contract...

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Die... lol

That won't work. The ETF would then transfer to your estate!

Seriously though, I had the same thoughts already posted. Either sell the smartphone, downgrade your plan, and ride it out with a cheap phone off craigslist, or try one of those cell-plan-swapping websites. I'm afraid I won't be much help on that front, either. I've never used such a service. If you do, come back and report your experience. I'm sure lots of people would find that info useful.

Bryan

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
dont think ill get much for the phone.

screen has a decent crack on it after i dropped it(no insurance, yea i know stupid me)

i got a quote from samsung about 3 months ago when i initially messed it up, they said a new screen is 160.

i said forget it.

ill probably just ride it out to 2012

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
If you really don't want to keep the service, it would be better to pay the ETF rather than pay more over the long run for all the months of service you are planned for, no? I know the ETF doesn't sound pretty, but its a one-time fee and you are out for good, vs. being stuck in a contract you don't like and would keep being unhappy under. :-\

ttran9844

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well Ik for Verizon you can get out of it just as long as you know what your doing. This is from the contract "Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?
We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it."
It means that if they change your bill and you know what your saying you can call them and say how that change had a material adverse effect on you and that you cannot pay for it because it is to expensive. And it will take some arguing because they will try to say stuff like it isn't them that has to raise the price or that they might give you like $10 for it but you can get out of it through that way. Tutorial: Get Out of Your Verizon Contract Without a Fee - YouTube

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well Ik for Verizon you can get out of it just as long as you know what your doing. This is from the contract "Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?
We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no Early Termination Fee if we fail to negate the change after you notify us of your objection to it."
It means that if they change your bill and you know what your saying you can call them and say how that change had a material adverse effect on you and that you cannot pay for it because it is to expensive. And it will take some arguing because they will try to say stuff like it isn't them that has to raise the price or that they might give you like $10 for it but you can get out of it through that way. Tutorial: Get Out of Your Verizon Contract Without a Fee - YouTube

This is from 2008, and the lingo in the contracts have changed. You can't use this method to get out anymore. Sorry.