Contract questions

compchick813

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems hard to get a consistent/correct answer from Verizon reps, so I figured I'd get a better answer here. I currently have a Droid X, but I am tempted by the Samsung Galaxy S II that supposedly will be coming to Verizon (although apparently not in July). The next upgrade we have on our contract is on my line in March (my husband would use it - I don't need a new phone that often). I've never bought off-contract before, so my first question is, the March upgrade remain on my line, right?

I know that no one has any definite answers about grandfathering into data plans, but that's what I want to do. So let's say that Verizon gets rid of the unlimited plan in July. Could I get a new phone off-contract at any time and still keep my unlimited plan (assuming they allow it) since I won't be renewing my contract? Or for some reason would I have to get the new phone before they get rid of the unlimited plan? I saw someone somewhere saying that getting a new phone is considered a new activation, and that with a new activation you have to be on a currently offered plan. Not sure if that's true, that would be a dumb policy. Does any of this change if the GS2 turns out to be LTE since im currently on a 3G phone? Any answers anyone has would be appreciated.

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
No one knows what's going to happen once tiered data comes. Even right now if you were to buy a smartphone, it would require a data plan (some older models excluded), even if you bought the phone off contract. I don't see tiered data being a device requirement, so hopefully they let people keep unlimited that have it but they pretty much make the choices they want. Your question may have to wait for the answer...