Switching to vzw (reluctantly) buti need a qwerty 4g android?

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a good qwerty (real keyboard) 4g android phone coming to vzw soon. Sprint is killing me now that there roaming agreement is no longer in place. So time for me to be out! Will miss that unlimited data though.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Its not 4g but you're best bet is the HTC merge. Just the Verizon version of the HTC g2

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

thanks robowarrior. think i am just going to wait it out. i dont want to be stuck with a phone that i dont really want for the next 2 years.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we'll see an LTE full qwerty for a while. At least not until the radios loose some weight. That thing would be an inch thick!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's my advice - get the phone and stop worrying about LTE/4G. It's just a gimmick that pulls customers in thinking it's the newest and most powerfulest data. It's not. Hell, Verizon's LTE network tends to be unstable at times. 3G isn't even that slow and imo, better than 4G.

My point - if you need to change, just go on and do it. QWERTY devices seem to be going out of favor. You could always try the Droid 2.

If possible, go to a Verizon store and play around with different phones and see how you like them.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
sorry i would rather deal with sprint then to use a touchscreen only device. I use my phone professionally and excessive spelling errors because of a fake keyboard is just not an option for me. i have a samsung epic right now that i totally love (great screen, great keyboard, etc) and for me to down grade to a droid 2 or something like that is just not an option right now. The problems i am having with sprint right now is not as unbearable as having a touchscreen only device would be or downgrading to a droid 2 would be. i use my phone to tether sometimes as well and 3g just wont cut it for that.

So if i have to wait another year or 2 before switching then thats ok with me. i do have excellent service with sprint in my area with both 3g and 4g. But i do a lot of traveling through out the area (ny,nj,pa,ct) so i tend to be out of coverage more now that the roaming agreement sprint had is no more.

i will just have to be patient, as att is not an option for me they suck too!
thanks for your help.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
...if you say so. My only suggestion is to stick with what you have because from the looks of it, your choices are pretty limited which btw, Droid 2 is a QWERTY phone.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
...if you say so. My only suggestion is to stick with what you have because from the looks of it, your choices are pretty limited which btw, Droid 2 is a QWERTY phone.

I know the droid 2 is qwerty. But its not 4g. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
A virtual keyboard isnt that bad especially with the spell correction software these phones come with. I used to have a keyboard phone and can type much faster with less errors than I did when I had a keyboard phone. But to each their own I guess.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
There isn't an lte qwerty phone on verizon

Nor is there one on the horizon, and I would not expect one anytime soon. The current crop of LTE radios dramatically increase the size of the phone (compare the Thunderbolt to say the HTC Inspire or Evo 4G to see what I mean); add a slide out keyboard and it makes it even thicker. Since the current trend in phones is smaller and thinner (thanks Samsung and Apple! :( ) I would not expect to see what you want till the end of the year at the earliest but more than likely not till next year.

If you are coming to Verizon you are going to have to compromise on something. The Droid 3 is coming VERY soon and should be an excellent device but it will NOT have LTE. If LTE is an absolute MUST then the best phone right now is arguably the Thunderbolt but the Droid Bionic which is also coming soon may have LTE in it to.

EDIT: As you cam tell I have several phones and normally carry more than one at a time, but for a long time one requirement for me was that the phone that I used for my talking and texting HAD TO have a full QWERTY keyboard on it (even if that phone was not a smartphone). I am now using the Droid 2: Global for that purpose and as time passes I have found that I use the physical keyboard less and less. There are numerous third party software keyboards you can install if you dont like the one that came with the phone. They are generally more accurate than the ones that come with the phone (except the HTC Sense keyboard). Not trying to pressure you here, just give you something to think about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy