I'm looking at the coming Asus ROG Phone 2, but trying to see if I'll be able to use it on Verizon even if there isn't a specific Verizon version. This would be my first time possibility buying a non-Verizon branded phone, so is there any way to guess at compatibility? I haven't heard anything from Asus or Verizon about it. This lists the radio specs.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/As...one-II_id11212

Since I haven't dealt with this before, I'm a bit clueless on knowing about frequency/band compatibility. Is that all that matters, or is there software issues to know as well? From my understanding, Verizon tried working with Asus to get the original ROG compatible, but it sounds like Asus couldn't/wouldn't develop some needed software.
    08-08-2019 10:54 AM
    Nothing in there about CDMA and Verizon still lists their system as CDMA. It's also missing Band 66, if you happen to be in an area where Band 66 is used.

And with a non-Verizon-branded phone you miss things like RCS, Visual Voicemail and a few other non-industry-standard things.
    08-08-2019 01:01 PM
    It's rare that I drop off 4G LTE unless I'm in a complete dead zone. No clue what Band 66 is and didn't see that listed as one of Verizon's bands (an outdated list I guess?), RCS hasn't interested me, and I'd be ok going back to traditional voicemail.

Any idea about Wi-Fi calling?
    08-08-2019 01:06 PM
    08-08-2019 06:19 PM
    Nothing in there about CDMA and Verizon still lists their system as CDMA. It's also missing Band 66, if you happen to be in an area where Band 66 is used.

And with a non-Verizon-branded phone you miss things like RCS, Visual Voicemail and a few other non-industry-standard things.
    Lol RCS.
    08-09-2019 03:25 AM
    Now yes. In 2004 you couldn't send MMS from one carrier to another (which cost me hundreds of sales). That got straightened out too. Once everyone is using the universal profile, we won't see phones with SMS or MMS.
    08-09-2019 12:44 PM
    Now yes. In 2004 you couldn't send MMS from one carrier to another (which cost me hundreds of sales). That got straightened out too. Once everyone is using the universal profile, we won't see phones with SMS or MMS.
    Again.. lol RCS.
    Revrick52 likes this.
    08-11-2019 03:53 AM
    I ran across this article for the Malaysian release, which lists different specs than the China/Tencent version, including Band 66 and others.

https://www.lowyat.net/2019/192335/a...ia-vs-tencent/

I'm not saying I'd buy the Malaysian version specifically yet (going to see what other options come up at worldwide release), but let's say it's hypothetically the best option. That appears to be fully compatible with Verizon frequencies and should work, other than possibly RCS and visual voicemail, and of course no Verizon bloat. Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?
    08-29-2019 08:15 AM